Thread: Early Norman Knights.

I have modded an early Norman knight-1080 to 1150 or so. While doing my research on the Norman knight, several questions or oddities came up. I have a source that indicates that the Norman knight used a spear rather than a lance. Also that they would hurl the spear like a javelin to break gaps in defending infantry. I hadn't heard of that. I also read that they didn't use the couched stance but rather an overhand use of the spear in a stabbing motion. Is all of this correct? It is a little different from what I pictured.

Also apparantly the Norman knights expanded everywhere after settling in Normandy from Scandinavia. It seems it would be appropriate to have Norman Knights in Sicily, Normandy, England, Lombard and France. Are there other locations in which early Norman Knights should be available?

Also it seems the Spanish and HRE had there own early version knights which were similiar to the Normans. Although perhaps not as successful as the Normans. Any one have info on the Spanish and German knights?

Glad to see the forum is back up.....

[This message has been edited by Jagger (edited 10-19-2002).]

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

Yep that's pretty much all quite correct.

The high-cantled saddle took a little while to evolve to allow a lance to be couched - say about 1180 onwards.

All knights of the era pretty much looked the same except the Spanish used a lot of round shields rather than kite.

Normans were considered the best knights of the era, and some Germans were considered useless on horse but dynamite on foot.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Interesting subject

Hows about posting some web links
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

I have created quite an interesting few pages on Spain. Take a look
    http://www.shadesmtw.com/thespanish.htm

It is my long term intension to create a site on the reconquest. (However, until i have more time this is just a good intension)
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......