Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BIG BATTLE MOVIES!!!!

Right i really am looking for any sort of good film that has brilliant battles and lots of them in, preferably from medieval ages or any cool movie that is about the 7 clans of Japan fighting over each other!

------------------
    The assasin of night is a dangerous foe, the assasin of day is extremely dangerous
    The assassin of night is a dangerous foe, however, the assassin of day is most fear-inspiring and dangerous foe from life and battlefield alike.

Well for middle ages Braveheart and El cid. Um can't think of anymore right now.

P.S. Don't know if anyones told you this, but your sig is mispelled. Its assassin not assasin.
    The Oner Order of Ommisions. http://oooo.freewebspace.com/

There was a movie in the mid 80's about King Arthur which I remember as having some very authentic/gory battle scenes in it...damn what was it called?

Just searched it...was called Excalibur and was released in 1981.

Wraith

[This message has been edited by ShadeWraith (edited 08-09-2002).]
    Proud Member of ClanShades

Though it's not as if any of these movies are at all realistic in any way shape or form..........

Nah El Cid is pretty accurate and Braveheart only has a few things wrong with it(no bridge in Stirling battle, he never met that princess either.) There was another King Arthur movie that came out in late 90s that was very good I forget the name, but Sean Connery was Arthur and Richard Gere was Lancelot.

You want Japenese? Heaven and Earth is the best i've seen so far (battle scenes) It's been on Showtime and FLIX lately...but you can probably buy it online.

------------------
    -MajesticKokeno
    of the Majestic Ryouko Clan
    -MajesticKokeno
    of the Majestic Ryouko Clan

Kagemusha is the Shogun movie par excellence

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

What about the lack of Skiltrons in Braveheart? (Wallace's men holding trimmed tree trunks at stirling doesn't count) also the historical battles shared little in common with the ones shown in the film. El cid, especially being an older film, is also a more of what the filmaker envisioned happened than what really did.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

For Shogun battles: Ran, Kagemusha, Seven Samurai (okay, it's seven guys vs. a small army, but still great fight scenes), Heaven and Earth

For Medieval battles: Braveheart, Excalibur, Joan of Arc, LOTR (sort of)

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Most have already been mentioned but definitely check out The Emperor and the Assassin. (It probably has the best epic battles scenes since Ran.)

For old school stuff: the film Spartacus has atlease one wicked epic battle.

Both films are better in widescreen if you can find them.

Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

The start of Gladiator isn't too bad - pretty good fighting scene. After that the story gets deeper and there are fewer battle scenes.

------------------
    Fëa-Quendi
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

300 spartans thats old skool but plenty battle scenes its dubbed though.
    The old seris the water margin had plenty fight scenes but not very realistic if i remember.

i stand corrected i was wrong

[This message has been edited by eastern storm (edited 08-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by eastern storm (edited 08-15-2002).]

I remember seeing a movie about Thermopyles where 300 Spartans defended the passage against the entire Persian army.
    It must be a movie from the sixties but there are some big scale battles and the plot is quite nice.
    Anyway is a bit unrealistic.

------------------
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Quote Originally posted by chilliwilli:
    There was another King Arthur movie that came out in late 90s that was very good I forget the name, but Sean Connery was Arthur and Richard Gere was Lancelot.[/QUOTE]

First Knight?

Ben Hur .(Dont mind the Rolex in that one scene though .)

------------------
    Abandon all hope
    Abandon all hope.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Although not middle ages or feudal Japan, here are some other great movies with epic battle scenes.

1. Zulu----defense of Rorke's drift--Michael Caine was so young and pretty.

2. Zulu Dawn---About the battle that preceded Rorke's Drift. Worst defeat ever of a modern army at the hands of tribal forces. Worse than Custer.

3. Cromwell---stars Richard Harris as Cromwell. The large battle scenes depict post medieval warfare.

4. Gettysburg---not real gory, but with all of the re-enactors involved, still very authentic. Jeff Daniels is superb as Joshual Chanberlan BTW.

5. Patriot---It seems Mel Gibson once again is not very courteous to our Brit friends, but the battle scenes are well done, none the less.

6. Drums along the Mohawk---Great movie depicting French & Indian war. Stars Henry Fonda. They actually used this movie as a teaching aid when I was in high school in the 60's

7. The Buccaneer---Charleton Heston as Andy Jackson and Yul Bryner as Lafette. Great Cecil B. Demille treatment of the Battle of New Orleans.

8. Wind and the Lion---Turn of the century yarn starring Sean Connery as a Muslem chief who kidnaps American teacher. Teddy Roosevelt sends in Marines who along with other nations experincing imperialism, end up having a mini WW I in a desert village.

9. Lastly, I think that there is British movie made in the last 10 years about Robert the Bruce that is suppose to be much more authentic than the Hollywood tripe used in Braveheart, but I have never seen it.

Cheers

------------------
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Braveheart has 99% EVERYTHING wrong. The early life of Wallace is completely invented because nothing is historically known. The Scots didn't paint themselves blue and wear tartan/plaid dresses at this time - Wallace would have been equipped in the typical armour of the period. The Scots committed as many atrocities as the English. It was a sign of the times. The 'Good-Scot, Evil-English' myth is just part of Mel Gibson's ongoing anti-England crusade. Pure propaganda. The modern concept of personal liberty superimposed on another very different time and place (Just like that crap 'The Patriot' rubbish). In truth, the Wallace rebellion was still about competing power elites marshalling their subservient drones to die in violent conflict with their brothers.

As mentioned, the battle reconstructions are a joke. The Scots schiltron was an innovation that precursed the 'Horse and Pike' era of the 17th century. It was a circular, all-round pike defense formation against cavalry that was still used by the Covenanters in the English (British actually...) Civil War.

About the only thing accurate about the movie was that there was a rebellion by William Wallace, he was betrayed by the jealous Scottish nobles and he was executed by being hung, drawn and quartered at the butcher's market in East London.

RageMonsta

BraveHeart/Pearl Harbour/Patriot etc ...oh and 'that u-boat film' are just some examples of the sickening attempt by Hollywood to corrupt the truth....America has always wished for the same rich history as Europe but instead of looking towards their true history..and maybe some real epic tales of pre-white settlers days they decide to try and destroy what already exists.

I know for a fact that there are alot of Americans who know the truth but sadly they do not have the same coverage as Mel Gimpson.

RageMonsta

Maybe if BraveHeart was a 4 part series it would have been more apt! MUAHAHAHAH.

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

ok... who just said Thermoplyae was unbelievable. Sheesh.

It's like the most famous Last Stand Battle, ever.
    http://joseph_berrigan.tripod.com/an...ylon/id28.html
    http://users.hol.gr/~barbanis/cavafy/thermopylae.html
    // Black

// "Did we win?"

Senior Member Senior Member Red Peasant's Avatar

There is supposed to be a new film in development about Thermopylae based on the excellent novel 'Gates of Fire', by Stephen Pressfield.

Bruce Willis and George Clooney are mooted as the possible main stars. I think Clooney is to be involved as a producer as well, with Michael Mann as director.

Mann is also being tentatively associated with a script about the power struggle between Caesar and Pompey, with Tom Hanks as producer and possible star.

I hope both of these projects come to fruition!

------------------
    To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And Heaven in a wild flower,
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

William Blake.

[This message has been edited by Red Peasant (edited 08-28-2002).]
    Dum spiro spero

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    - William James

You're probably thinking of the movie "THE BRUCE" = a Scottish production that came out along with this other movie Chasing the Deer about the 45 Bonnie Prince Charlie Rebellion.

Well... I hate to say it but neither are really all that great. I mean they got the nice vistas and all but the budget they got wasn't all that hot, the scripts were just a bit too predictable, treatment was too stereotypical (tho I did like the twist in Chasing the Deer about the son and the two father figures - one a Government loyalist Scot and the other a reluctant rebel - on the whole Chasing the Deer is better scripted) and the direction was just dry,dry,dry. There was so much in Robert de Bruce's life that should have and could have made it an interesting and perhaps controversial movie - how he may or may not have helped betray Wallace, how he was just another 'contendah' to the throne, how he eventually became king and all that - Bannockburn itself with its Gettysburg style multiple engagements makes for a potentially great battle. There's also the angle that de Bruce DID owe a LOT to Edward Longshanks - his father, Balliol and Comyn were in the army of Longshanks' father at Lewes and were all captured there by Earl Simon de Montfort. They were NOT one of the old Scots nobility like Earl Macduff of Fife (same line as the dude in Macbeth) or the MacDonalds of the Isles but were one of those Anglo-Norman lords who may have taken advantage of that primae noctae type thing that Braveheart showed (for all of its innaccuracies Braveheart did capture the spirit of the history that inspired it and so I forgive its sins against history). One particularly tragic part of the Bruce story was about his father and the Earl of Gloucester (Lord Gilbert de Clare). Gloucester was something like his godfather and he cared greatly for young Bruce and perhaps even helped him in his rebellion. His son, also Gilbert de Clare, was one of the great lords that fought at Bannockburn. When the young Gloucester who had charge of the cavalry saw the Scots host he hesitated until Edward II (the gay dude) hinted at his cowardice and possibly treason. Thereupon Gloucester threw himself, his cavalry and much of Englands nobility against the schiltrons and was killed.

Anyways, its just a propagandistic, flag-waving Scots version of what it wishes was Hollywood. Interesting only for the diehard enthusiast.

Just my two cents,
    Gilbert de Clare
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

Braveheart- The only reason there was no bridge at stirling is because they had to build a bridge. They didn't have the time or the money to. I have not heard of Last of the Mohicans, with a large battle scene.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd like to see a movie about the first 3 crusades.

RageMonsta

Henry V

Kenneth Branner

Shakespeare

great battle

'For England' etc

no Mel Gibson

top notch.

oh and lots of dead French.

Although Hollywood are goin to change it a little....they like to think only Americans have fought in France (private ryan ahem).....so longbow replaced by Apache Helicopters.(maybe longbow missle)

Quote Originally posted by BlackWatch McKenna:
    ok... who just said Thermoplyae was unbelievable. [/URL] [/QUOTE]

lol was abou to say the same thing

they are makeing a movie about it from a novel??? and bruce wills and clooney are going to be in it???

wtf
    so were going to have wills running around in long hair and a beard ??

lol

Quote Originally posted by RageMonsta:
    so longbow replaced by Apache Helicopters.(maybe longbow missle)[/QUOTE]

i think they are going to have them discover nuclear fission in the last 5 minutes of the movie then they are going to construct a nuke out of all the soldiers that are left , and fire it into the moon , which will be full of cheese , then it will start raining cheese in france and the french will run back so they can get to it b4 everyone else does...

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Right here we go.....

Guys, Braveheart is an excellent film, I couldn't care less if what I'm seeing isn't perfectly accurate, nor am I going, oh my god that stick isn't accurate, this movies crap.

People recomment Kagemusha, but as far as I know Takeda Shingen was never killed and a look-alike took his place, but that doesn't stop it been a good film, Seven Samurai too, I doubrt a village hired seven samurai to help fend off bandits, and even if they did I doubt it happened exactally the same. My point? Just because a film isn't historically accurate doesn't mean it's shit, sure Braveheart is barely accurate at all, but I don't care, I enjoyed it regardless of whether a certain weapon would be used really, it's a film based on a person, and if it were all accurate I doubt people would like it that much.

Not ranting just pointing out that a film can't be regarded as shit because it's isn't perfectly or at all accurate.

And Mel Gibson hates the English? From what I've seen he's made two anti-english films, Braveheart and The Patriot, We Were Soldiers isn't anti-english, is Signs English, are the aliens english on it? And The Patriot, it's about the American Revolution, he didn't exactally direct it did he, and I doubt they'd go uh oh, the english have been percieved as evil once, we'd better make the Americans rebel against Swaziland, I'm not poking fun but come on guys, listen to yourselves.

------------------
    Power to the Sultan!
    -Clan Seljuk

I don't know Akech, can't trust Mithrandir with the newbies, he may try and create a Miny Mith.-NagatsukaShumi
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

pdoan, yes it was 1st knight. King Arthur may be a myth, but its a good medieval movie.

RageMonsta

Nagat SEVEN SAM and KAGE do not claim to be historical unlike BraveHeart and the other such nonsense movies...

with the level of education throughout the world sadly many think that movies are fact...in some ways this can be dangerous...Americans (the ignorant %) may feel that they have licence to 'right the worlds wrongs'...and sadly forget the troubles at home or maybe the masses will not see the injustice that may occure in their name.....you must see it yourself...after Monsta has seen Kung Fu movie Monsta often does a bit of 'shadow boxing' on the way out of the cinema..if you teach your youth that you go and 'kick ass' they wont mind joining up and dying in some far off land for 'old glory'...cos the movies show the US always in the right and generally winning ( even in Vietnam...Rambo went back and battered to death a regiment of VC).

KAGE is a remake of a Shakespeare play but in a Japanese setting...King Lear Monsta thinks.

SEVEN SAM was release in the US....but non of those evil Asian fellas....nooop we got cowboys but this is fine cos it didnt claim to be history...although a pale remake unless you dislike B&W.

SIGNS.....well lets say that crop circles are the topic...and crop circles originated in England a bit like your revolutionary Americans in PATRIOT.

THE SUB CODE MOVIE U****....wont even use its name......no Americans took part in this...neither did they decode the machines.. this was maybe as important as D-DAY because without Enigma code...no invasion.

Relatives of mind fought in WW1 and WW2....plus many other battles caught on film..they are insulted every time the truth us twisted..and so are the masses..shall we say 'blinded'....bit like the treatment of that 'superpower of evil' Cuba.

I understand your point about entertainment.....but maybe it would be a good idea to add something in the film or at the end....like....

'WARNING...PURE FABRICATION OF THE TRUTH TO SATISFY OUR NEED TO FEEL SUPERIOR AND TO HELP CONTINUE TO SEND YOUNG MEN (AND WOMEN) TO THEIR DEATHS FOR OUR POLITICAL GAINS AND SOCIAL FUNCTIONALISM'.

forgot where i was then!....*slips out of back door*

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

True they don't, but what I'm saying is it doesn't need to be accurate for it to be enjoyable (I just dislike having to watch Sev and Kage in Japanese, it's hard to follow it sometimes.)

------------------
    Power to the Sultan!
    -Clan Seljuk

I don't know Akech, can't trust Mithrandir with the newbies, he may try and create a Miny Mith.-NagatsukaShumi
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast