Thread: accents/dialects

Member Member "Black Bob" Craufurd's Avatar

Default accents/dialects

I cant post in the backroom so I just wanted to throw in that one of the most wicked accents/dialects I've heard was in New Orleans. I dont know whether it was Cajun or Creole, maybe someone can tell me the difference. The city is not pronounced "New-Or-le-ans" nor "New-Or-leens", but rather "Naw'lins" by the locals. When I first arrived on a hot August day, I stopped by a gas station to get something to drink. I set a soda on the counter and the old guy working there looked at me and said "sickahsehn'..." I stared at him for a moment and again he said "sickahsehn'..." I then grinned and realized he was saying sixty cents. Great city, had lots of fun there.

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Default Re: accents/dialects

Come to Kentucky for some wicked accents. Especially a rual area. Its a whole new language... "I heerd dem boys geot em a 10 pointer. Yup, sawed it with mine own eyes, biggest deer in the whole group of dem deers. Well he gonna git it mounted. Yup, already done did it, he ain't playin around with no nothing about her."

Just a small example of everyday talk. (I live in a city so I don't talk like that btw.)
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

Heh, yeah that's similiar to the West Virginia accent. I just thought that the Cajun/Creole was an interesting accent/dialect. I knew a guy from Kentucky that had a thick accent/dialect. Virginians actually have some words that sound different like "out". Cant really explain it on here for what it sounds like though. The "u" part is very pronounced if that makes sense.

Eyup lad, th'as nowt like ' park'lin grumpet....nah then

.....I'll de-code l8r
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Hehe wow, I have no idea what that means. My mother was from London area, but that must be Northern?

My father was from Oregon and I grew up in Virginia. I ended up with absolutely no accent/dialect. lol

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

I'm from freakin NJ and I understood that!
    of course I got family from VA/WVA and I got Southern Blood.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

I'm of Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutch = German) blood and my grandparents spoke the language. Alas, my dad only learned how to understand it and I picked up none of it. Anyway, the Pennsylvania Dutch speak with an unusual accent in which "V" sounds like "W", "J" sounds like "CH", and so on. It can have some funny results, like "garage" comes out almost sounding like "crotch" and "Abe" (as in Lincoln) sounds like "Ape". I actually found a book which teaches you how to speak "dutch-ified" English. As with speaking the language, my Dad has a little bit of the accent and (un?)fortunately I have no trace of it.

I did a bit of searching on the internet for audio samples of how the Pennsylvania Dutch sound when they speak. I had little luck...until I remembered Raymond the Amish Comic. Now the Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch are different groups, but they are close in their speaking patterns. So here's the link the Raymond's website: http://www.amishcomic.com/media.shtml You can find a sampling of how Amish/PA Dutch sounds on this media page of his site. It is a phone interview of Raymond done by an Ohio radio station and it is quite funny. One comment: Raymond's accent seems to be toned down a bit, perhaps to be a little more understandable to the general public. How can an audience get the joke if they don't understand what is being said? Anyway, you can pick up the "V" sounding like a "W". A note about the Amish: if you've seen the movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford/Kelly McGinnis or "For Richer or Poorer" with Tim Allen/Kirsty Alley, then you have seen at least a little of the Amish culture. No cars (horse-drawn buggies!), electricity, phones, plumbing etc. Fortunately for me, the Pennsylvania Dutch have no such restrictions or I would n't be posting this!
    This space intentionally left blank

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Newfoundland. Enough said...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    Eyup lad, th'as nowt like ' park'lin grumpet....nah then

.....I'll de-code l8r
    Hey there, boy, there is nothing like (have no idea).....is there

Is that about right? What better proof that the north is a different country!! Damn yokels!!
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson