Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westeros Total War

Default Westeros Total War

i posted a simlilar post a while back but no one responded but somebody here has to have read the series a song of ice and fire by george r r martin, it has to be one of the best fantasy series ever written, and would be perfect for a total war mod, political intrigue, assinations and a 2000 year history of constant warring.

any way i have already started on making a mod for this, but didn't really fully comprehend the undertaking that it was. a have a map up and running, still fleshing out the details, mostly landscape, and regions. if there is anybody out there who has read this series and would like to help email me. any help would be great, especially in the areas of unit rendering and city design, i'm not at all proficient with 3D studio max, i tried but was overwhelmed by it's complexities.
    so if you have read it
    if you haven't read it you should

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\hello\Desktop\send\the twins.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\hello\Desktop\send\eyrie.JPG[/IMG]

Westeros is coming

Default Re: Westeros Total War

Westeros is coming

You're going to have to upload your images first before we can see them (try imageshack).

That aside, I am all for Westeros: TW, I have been dreaming about how it would be like since M:TW game out. I was actually just starting to read through some campaign map tutorials so I could begin making my own Westeros. IMO the total war engine would be perfect for such a game, because it combines empire building, huge scale battles, and subterfuge so well. I certainly hope this gets done some time as the possibilities are endless. We just need to find a couple of George RR Martin fans who are also experienced at modding...

hey thanks for that image shack suggestion, here are some pics of my map so far.

the twins

the eyrie

the trident with river run and harenhal

winterfell

i was able to change the names of cities easy enough, but with so much to do i found my self jumping all over the place trying to change things, and getting confused as to where i was and what i was doing( not the greatest multitasker)
    so i decided i would wait on tryin to change the faction names and flags and units and what not until i was completely done with the map, which is still in progress. the areas above are the closest to being complete if not already.

Westeros is coming

Good idea I love the series, not much info on different types of units though.

That map is amazing, everything looks like it's in place. That must have taken a lot of work. I actually had already started working on a super accurate map of Westeros, but when it came to implementing it in game it got a little confusing. Check it out:

I'm still figuring out how I can get something like this to load up in map editor so I can tinker with it some more. Making a new map from scratch isn't as easy as I thought, so if anyone can point me to a tutorial or something that explains this I'd be grateful.

Anyways, keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to this.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Westeros Total War

Nice map. I fully support that project (I'm a fan of the A Song of Ice and Fire serie).

bigwig: i see you scanned the map and blacked it out just like i did, i still have a file that looks exactly like that

as for a tutorial on map making Mydrall has one

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39456

its rather long but if you have the attention span this will greatly help, i tried reading bits and pieces at at time, but would recommend just reading the entire thing, then reference back to it.

when first starting the map, it kept ctd ing. i believe i was having landmass problems, i guess the game requires a certain amount of landmass to run, no one knows exactly how much however. so i created a map that was all landmass and slowly took out peices of it replacing it with water, it was kind of a long process but ended up working, the size ended up being 106 by 255.

but if you wanted to work together on this i'd be down, because i wanted to do a full on mod, with new factions, units, family trees, etc. pretty much the whole deal, i discovered that it would be an extremely large amount of work for one person. i had spent about 2 weeks on it, then finally got burnt out, i've started back up on it after about a month off. currently workin on the dornish marches.

currently i'm still deciding who to have as factions and what regions to include.

Westeros is coming

heres some more pics

oh and imageshack is the mothaf'in shiznite

Westeros is coming

Hello 5000!!!
    I'm a great fun of asoiaf, your work so far is great!!!
    I would love such mod, if you need help, you may check this forum:
    http://p080.ezboard.com/basoiaf
    I'm going to post there linking this topic, I'm sure people will be impressed by your map!

I will try also to make some more connections. From my side, I cannot do almost anything (I can write some code in C, but not much) but I can give some support for simple tasks and discussions.

keep us informed and send a mail here if you want:
    massimodrago@libero.it
    Phoinix_Massimo

Hmmm. A couple things that I've noticed from your screenshots.

I. You spelled it Dragon's Stone... but it's actually Dragonstone.

II. I'm wondering... who are you having rule over King's Landing, Summerhall, Dragonstone, and the nearby territories? The Baratheons, Lannisters, or Targaryens?

Personally, I'd prefer if it were the Targaryens... because that way, the Baratheons and Lannisters wouldn't have vastly more territory. It'd also be accurate for more of Westerosi history, and the Targaryens are extremely interesting.

hello Jello,

just my opinion, but I think that the all campaign must be carefully thought. One possibility could be to leave some unbalance between the factions, in order to have different challenge levels for the single game campaign. In this case, King Landing could remain Lannister that is closer to the book. What do you think about this ? :)

in the link I left above, there are lots of interesting info/deductions on westeros economy/population, I will try to post something here.
    Phoinix_Massimo

I think it could be nice to play in the clash of kings scenario, with each turn lasting one month, or less. This is my idea for playable factions:

Stark
    Tully
    Lannisters (the West + KL)
    Stannis (Dragonstone)
    Tyrell's
    Martell
    Renly (Stormend)

One should twick the balancement, being the military of the Tyrell allied with Stormend too strong and Stannis too weak.

The Vale would remain an unplayable faction, while Stannis would have very few income and a small army, but skillful assassins from the beginning and maybe some "trickery" of sort.

just some thoughts! :)
    Phoinix_Massimo

The ironmen on Pyke, of course, another playable faction.

(I would edit my posts instead of making hundreds of them, but I dont know how.)
    Phoinix_Massimo

right on, i'm glad to see ppl discussing this, like i said in my first post i had posted a similar topic about a month or two ago, but no one responded, so i figured i was just makin it for myself.

here's my ideas so far

on playable factions i was gonna with

greyjoys in the iron islands
    starks in the north
    tullys in riverrun ( maybe making the freys a protectorate of the tullys? but not really too sure how this works )
    lannisters in the west
    stannis on dragon stone

i was actually thinking of making king's landing its own seperate faction akin to the roman senate in the original game

tyrells
    renly
    not too sure how to handle these two, but they will definitely be in there

i like the idea of the arryns being an unplayable faction, thats good
    perhaps the martells in dorne as well ( was planning on having them all as playable but thats a good idea ).

i am not sure whether or not to include the land beyond the wall or the night's watch. i think this would be too difficult, but at the same time it would be cool to turn the elephants in rome into mammoths.

and i proly won't include danerys' stroy line, i think that that would spread things out too much, but again would also be cool, and would be fairly easy to convert spartan hoplites into the unsullied, who would make awesome units, but as for now she is out.

as for time frame, i believe i will be going with the clash of kings storyline
    i think the war of the usurper would be good as well but i like the whats occuring in the books at present. so that is the plan as of right now, but could change pending help and suggestions from others.

i am not too sure what the game is capable of, i've really only been working on the map, and this project is still in its infancy. i wanted to finish the map first before i started messing around with other things.

george r r made a very complex storyline so its gonna take time to hash everything out so keep the ideas flowing. and as far as ppl wanting to help but not knowing how to do things, read these forums and just mess around with stuff, thats pretty much how i started, i had absolutely no idea what i was doing, i just knew i wanted to play in westeros, as i find this series more addicting than crack.

oh and nice catch on the dragonstone, didn't notice. it shall fixed

Westeros is coming

"tyrells
    renly
    not too sure how to handle these two, but they will definitely be in there"

Renly was the lord of Stormend, and he was with all his strength. The Tyrells probably could field the most men in westeros, look at this one:

The following is an estimation of the military strength of the factions during "A clash of Kings"

--------------------
    We really need a forensic reading of the books with every last number and troop movement accounted for, but until then...

Reach: 80,000
    Westerlands: 50,000
    Dorne: 50,000
    Riverlands: 45,000
    North: 45,000
    Vale: 45,000 (these last three can be give or take 5k)
    Stormlands: 30,000
    Iron Islands: 20,000
    KL and its environs: 15,000
    Dragonstone: 4,000
    ----------------------

post of Lavinder, from the forum administrated by Westeros.org

They have a deep knowledge of the facts in the book there at westeros.org, I would trust this estimation (don't COMPLETELY agree though :-) ).

I would put Tyrells and Renly (Stormend) in. They could start as allies, with an aggressive behaviour toward KingLanding.
    As for Dorne, you are right, a non playable, very neutral faction could also do. But on the other hand it is the only thorne on the side of the Tyrells, otherwise the most powerful faction...

As for starting with the modding, I will look for some of the job that must be done. I'm already trying to involve somebody form the fansites, they could be very much willing to help.

See you soon 5000
    Phoinix_Massimo

yeah i did intend to have renly in storm's end and the tyrells in the reach
    the only problem i see with tyrells and renly, is that as soon as renly died, the tyrells ran to the side of king's landing and the lannisters, but i suppose things don't necessarily have to play out the same way as they did in the books. it would be interesting to see, how things would have gone had renly lived.

i think i agree with you that those numbers might be somewhat off, but its a good start.

i've been to the citadel on westeros.org, its their database of knowledge from the books. the effort those guys have put in is insane, its very well done and quite thorough, i must say.

as for this mod what needs to be done
    i think i can handle most of the map, will probably have to send you a copy of it or pics to get some opinions on some things at some point down the road.

i tried using 3d studio max, to edit units and banners and what not, but got frustrated and decided to stick with just the map until i finished. so i guess finding someone who is proficient with 3d SM would be a huge step foward. to start changing some of the units over to more of a medieval look.

i was thinking that once things started to really get under way, i would make a teaser for ppl, who were interested in this mod, something like a historical battle map with some of the redesinged units, a recreation of the battle of the trident was first on my list.

i might have a friend that i can get some webspace from, to start a forum there on this specific topic, not too sure on that tho.

Westeros is coming

Great job on the map:)

I'd love to help - huge fan of the books. Unfortunately, although I've played the TW games a lot, I know next to nothing about modding them.

I know it might be a little redundant since we already have a map, but after an hour or two of tinkering around I finally got a playable version of my pixel map with two regions and two factions:

(thanks imageshack)

I wish I could help out more with this mod, but the only thing I'm really capable of contributing is mapping, and that's already covered obviously. I'm just a plain noob when it comes to photoshop and 3D modelling, and I would do some concept art but I have no way of transferring it to the computer. At least I can always just discuss the mod here

It's nice Bigwig!!

I'm also a complete noob, but I love the idea of the mod very very much. I will try to do anything on the editing of units and banners, let's see what I get out . Actually I 'm a but scared

As for Renly, we could make him the only heir for Stormend and "not too difficult to assassinate". This way, after possible Renly death Stannis could have easy way in adsorbing part of the Stormlords. Well, this depends on how we organise the campaign, anyway.

I had some ideas on the main campaign (maybe is just crab, if it is, doesnot matter )

All the campaign should be played in the time frame of 2-3 years, each turn being 1 or 2 week (to have enough turns).
    This would be the most close to the book, but there are some drawbacks:
    1. city improvements. The reasonable time to build a structure would become several turns long, that is that in every settlement you could build probably not more than 2 structures in the whole campaign. From one side is a drawback, the players being VERY limited in expanding the cities. From the other side, it might make for a carefull, deep planing of your construction during the whole campaign.
    2. population increase. We would have to reduce the population increase to small fraction of percents (kind of 0.01%) to have it realistic. Again, not real population increase during the campaign.
    3. troop/ships recruiting. This means limited possibility of recruiting and/or healing wounded units. What you have from the beginning, (plus some more levies you can call to arms) is basically all you will ever have during the campaign. On the other side you must really be carefull on how much people you remove from the harvest: if you want to feed your troops (have enough money to mantein them) better if you have left enough population in your settlements. If you are the Lannisters, maybe you have a good income and you can hire more sellswords (mercenaries).

The campaign will have a very different feeling respect to the campaign in vanilla RTW, but I think it also very good, because a mod should really offer for some different game play to be appealing.
    Phoinix_Massimo

Thanks Massi!

About your suggestions, I think the game would be better if instead of simulating one war in the book it simulated a broader section of the Westeros time period, so I'm going to have to disagree on the 2-3 years thing. Imho, restricting the time period and events too strictly to that of the book would take away from the "open endedness" that I love the TW series so much for.

My suggestions:

- The game should start at the very beginning of GoT before any major wars break out, letting the player decide more how to change the course of the story.
    - "Building up" should have less of an emphasis in the game, as it should be about tactics and subterfuge. Therefore the cities and factions should already be a little bit "built up" at the beginning of the campaign, moreso than in R:TW.
    - Troops should be mostly province specific, like Spartan hoplites and the units in Medmod, so no training of Umber men-at-arms on Dragonstone for example. This would make armies rely on sellswords more the further abroad they are. That means lots of hidden resources, if that's possible.
    - Population growth should be very low over all, and almost non existant in towns that were designed to be military outposts, or ruins (Harrenhal, Moat Cailin, Golden Tooth)
    - I heard the Senate is hardcoded into the game, and I was wondering what that would mean for this mod. Maybe the senate could be turned into the Night's Watch and made unattackable by all factions, or it could based in King's Landing. If you can change the names of the special titles the Senate gives out you might have some interesting opportunities, like including members of the Kingsguard or other high offices (Hand of the king, master of coin, etc)
    - Westeros should be in a state of summer each turn, because the seasons in the book are so irregular (maybe it could snow a bit north of the Wall).

Anyways, I have a lot more suggestions and ideas (of course), but I'll keep it simple for now. Keep up the great discussions!

dood bigwig, that was good work on the map. how did you change the samll radar map in the lower left, if you look at my pics, its all distorted.

yeah i agree with both you guys, i think population and city buildings should be limited, one thing i don't want is for winterfell at the end of the game to be a huge city with 24,000 ppl in it, just not realistic, same goes for other cities. so i figured we could change the base farm level of the provinces, i htink that'll slow the population growth, not too sure. so like massi says the armies you start with will be more or less all you get, so you need to be very careful with your armies. i wanted each town to be pretty well built up already based on size, so that players wouldn't have to build so much, i think it would be better if they only had to concentrate on recruiting and troop movement.

i was thinking the roman senate as king's landing, my map would crash until i put them in there, don't know if you had that problem with yours.

great idea on the senate office list, if we could change like ponitficus maximus to hand of the king or something like that, great idea

>- Troops should be mostly province specific, like Spartan hoplites and the >units in Medmod, so no training of Umber men-at-arms on Dragonstone for >example. This would make armies rely on sellswords more the further abroad >they are. That means lots of hidden resources, if that's possible.

another good idea. i like.

yeah as for the whole winter summer thing, back when i first started, ppl were working on this, and at that point, it had been discovered that characters only age during winter months, and i think that someone had been able to get it to advance a month at a time. not too sure what the progress on that is currently. i wanted it to stay summer for a good number of turns and then at some point have it switch over to winter.

hey bigwig, i hate to suggest this after you put so much work into your map ( i remember the patience ( ) it took me to get mine to finally load )
    but if you want we could work on mine, i could send you copies of the files i have, there are still some areas that need to be fleshed out, and some areas i'd like to improve. i am still working on Dorne ( mountains are pretty tough to get looking nice ). the westerlands, the reach, and parts of the north still need to be done. also provinces still need defining, as of right now i only have a limited number. we can send files back and forth and i can cut paste the areas into each other.

and once again to ppl, who swing by these forums and want to help, but say they can't do anything, when it comes to modding. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING. i stumbled on these forums back in early dec. and was like 'wow you can mod rome total war, thats awesome.' i then read a little on what to do to change the map and got started, there are a good number of tutorials, posted by the good ppl running these forums that give step by step instructions on how to mod certain things. if you don't think you have the patience, thats cool, you can help by throwin out ideas.

and one question, so is this mod officially underway?

Westeros is coming

If you can change the names of the special titles the Senate gives out you might have some interesting opportunities, like including members of the Kingsguard
    Given that the Kingsguard serve for life (well, up until you-know-what) and cannot inherit land\titles I doubt this will be practical - the other suggestions are good one tough.

Would it be possible to create Maester\Grand Maester retainers? Or perhaps you could have Maester\Grand Maester as a city improvment and, say, hedge maesters as retainers?

Quote Originally Posted by 5000

and one question, so is this mod officially underway?
    well I would say so
    we already have a small team, as I see it: 5000, Bigwig, dajamieson and me. I'm trying to get some decent program (Photoshop 7) for editing the CAS files for the units, I see that I need also some plug-in, as soon as I get a clear picture and I 'm able to start, I will post all the necessary very newbie operations to do, so that also other like me can help.

As for the units, I completely agree with having City specific units! Since this is a medieval world and knights have their importance, I would say that every House we decide to put in the game should have his special heavy cavalry units, with banners, slighlty personalised stats and (maybe) special design (Robb knights unit may have Grey Wind on the side of the units leader for example). Man at arms and other foots can have a unique design, changing only the shield maybe, and the colours.

On the senate use.. dont know, we will find a solution.
    I'm curious on how will you guys bring the Wall on the strategic map

check this , we could use some portraits for the general units:
    http://www.amoka.net/eng/news.html

I will ask.

see you soon!!!
    Phoinix_Massimo

Maester/granMaester as a city improvement is a good idea :) In the tactical City map we could have the buiding "Maester tower", just close to the castle, i like the idea!
    Phoinix_Massimo

Quote Originally Posted by dajamieson
    ...perhaps you could have Maester\Grand Maester as a city improvment
    great idea, iwas thinking just using them as retinue, but thats better, keeps em in the cities

Quote Originally Posted by Massi
    I'm trying to get some decent program (Photoshop 7) for editing the CAS files for the units, I see that I need also some plug-in
    i'm not sure if you can edit .cas files in photoshop, i think you can only edit the .dds files, which i believe are textures that get mapped to the cas files
    ( you do need a plug-in for .dds which i have, i think i got it somewhere around these forums )
    i was workin on this yesterday, or trying to, but i've never used 3ds max before

i finished up the placement of cities in dorne, and i think i'm done with the marches

i stopped workin on the map, spent too much time lookin at it
    so i started messin around with other things

i haven't figured out how to edit banners, i was tryin to find the files, but

Quote Originally Posted by Massi
    I'm curious on how will you guys bring the Wall on the strategic map
    no clue, i had found a text file called template, (it was a list of command lines for decr_strat, (descr_strat handles the placement of cities, units, wonders, resourc,etc.) in this file there was a command line for the placement of walls and roads. i have been told howevr that this file is completely out of date, so unless these command lines are added with the patch, i think the wall is out.
    i hope they do add them, being able to specify where a road goes would be awesome for representing the King's road, still haven't figured out how to do that either.

Westeros is coming

wow it's great! I'm in a hurry now, I have just one question:
    5000, why don't you take the lead and open a forum for ourselves, somewhere? I think you should be the project leader
    Phoinix_Massimo

for the wall, can you paint a "special mountain"? inserting 3 cityies as for the 3 fortresses still hold by the night watch...
    Phoinix_Massimo

i considered that, but i was afraid the mountain wall would look cheesy. can you add goundtypes?

Westeros is coming

Sorry guys, I don't think I would be much use as a serious modder since I have barely any time on my hands right now due to my studies. I am very familiar with the HL1 and HL2 modding scene and I know what happens to mods when modders can't commit a good portion of their time to the project. Plus skill wise I am nothing to talk about, it would take me a while yet to get up to 5000's level of experience with modding RTW (I haven't even started with factions, regions, textures, etc). This might seem like a lot of excuses, but I just don't want to be a dead weight on this whole thing.

However, the one thing I am confident that I can contribute are suggestions:
    - From what I got from the books the Dornish people are based primarily off the Spanish and the Moors, and that their country is very dry and dusty and contains many desert regions. Imo the only greenish areas should be on the sides of the rivers, the rest should be desert. Other than that Dorne looks excellent, great work so far!
    - About the wall, maybe you should look at ME:TW, because they found out ways to put ruins and other features on their map. If someone models a segment of the wall I bet you could just place a line of them on the map and make them impassable somehow.

Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast