Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hard-Coded Limits

Default Re: Hard-Coded Limits

Yea, could be.
    Maybe I've done a miscount or something, but it s** that the limit is there.
    I was making a new version of the Multiple Temples Mod when I discovered it.
    That new version will probably never come into being with this limit :(
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...howtopic=25613)

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

The number may be weird because there may be other things the engine considers 'buildings' - like the 8 extra things at the start in export_buildings ("generic repair","settlement upgrade" etc.) - this would make the number be 280, which is a bit more acceptable... though still weird considering most of the other limits are powers of 8.
    I'm still not here

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

You mean powers of two, presumably.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Yea it's a weird number, and I wish it wasn't there.
    In RTR, there are a lot of new buildings. When I added 45 more, it CTDd and this was at 272/280.
    I've tried to do the same thing to RTW vanilla (adding the 45 new buildings) and no problems occurred at all.

BTW, maybe the limit is for number of entries in export_buildings, not in export_descr_buildings? Did you try to not add all faction entries there? Those that have "Warning! This text should never appear on screen" can be safely removed from the files...
    Also, you say the game CTDs not in the beginning, but after opening buildings menu? Perhaps you've reached the limit of buildings available to build in one city, or by one faction? Try adding the last temple with other facton ownership set...
    Last edited by eadingas; 03-25-2005 at 12:54.
    I'm still not here

I really hope it's one of the things you've mentioned.
    It at least isn't a export_buildings.txt, cuz the new buildings use the old entries. The same goes for export_descr_buildings_enums.
    I've also tried to let the last building I added not be buildable by any faction, but it still CTDd.
    But: When I added them to RTW vanilla, nothing was wrong at all - it just worked. This indicates that there is a limit imo, or it is something RTR based
    :(
    I'll try adding another hundred buildings - when it works, it's an RTR based problem. When it doesn't work, there is a limit.
    I'll keep you informed

OK the building limit is a little different than first thought:

You can have 64 buildings in the game, and each building can have five levels. You can put in more levels, but the game doesn't recognize them.

A binary number after all..

That makes 320 buildings possible?
    I'm still not here

Quote Originally Posted by Nero
    OK the building limit is a little different than first thought:

You can have 64 buildings in the game, and each building can have five levels. You can put in more levels, but the game doesn't recognize them.

A binary number after all..
    Son of a !!!!! That's exactly the number of buildingcomplexes that I hit when I had a block. I had not tried to count the total of building complexes though. I just realized that it accepted 25 *new* buildingcomplexes on top of wha the game had to start (but I didn't realize the original number was 39, which equals 64).

Now my problem is that when I insert more than one level-one building, it will recognize the building but give me a generic graphic and icon (a roman barracks or something). Trying to find a way around that, but it may be stuck.

edit: Thanks for putting this out here Nero. It will make any additional testing on my part unnecessary and you have a secondary (or tertiary or whatever) confirmation from my independent problems.

edit2: The exact error message I got when adding that 26th new complex (or the 65th overall) was (for future reference): "Settlement in (XYZ) region has not been given (XYZ) a core building. Any settlements above village level must have an appropriate core building! This settlement is level 1, and should have a level 0 core building." This was the settlement that the 65th building was added to. It just stopped recognizing the core building in that settlement, in whereever the 65th was placed.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 03-31-2005 at 17:29.

RE: Limits in:

export_descr_buildings.txt
    Overall building tree number: Min ?, max 64. Experimentation. Extras CTD (error: "Settlement in [X] region has not been given [X] a core building. Any settlements above village level must have an appropriate core building! This settlement is level 1, and should have a level 0 core building.").
    Levels per building tree: Min 1, max 5. Assumption, experimentation. Extras ignored.
    --------------------------------
    Apparently you can have multiple buildings in each "level" also; I've inserted additional buildings without putting them on the "levels" line and got them to show up. They still function, *but* I've been unable to get the images (constructed) and the icons to work for any other than the first one listed in that level. All the ones other than the first one just use the generic building images. I don't know the limit to the number of buildings you can put in for a level, but I had about 6 or 7 in there and they were showing up in game, just not with graphics. Of course it could have led to problems down the road in the game, but I didn't test it out very long before scrapping it.

Yes multiple buildings under one buildingcomplex is possible.

(a bit off-topic but...)
    To make other images than that roman barracks appear, open descr_ui_buildings.txt.
    Now fill in the last name of the new buildings (ie: temple_of_battle_shrine)
    and type shrine after it. Now it will use the image that is meant for shrine.
    This applies to other buildings too.
    To make a building with a different last name than ie muster_field have the muster field image, you can fill in this in descr_ui_buildings:

your_building_name muster_field

hope this'll help you

Another question:

are the unit names (sound files) called on the battlefield also hardcoded ?

No they arent
    They can be changed in files that have 'sound' in their name
    Don't know which one for units, but it can be changed

I did try but without luck,despite editing various text files,unpacking IDX's and adding wave files for new units

Hlp needed

I need to find out weather or not the diplomacy section is hard coded as I've posted before asking for info on the subject but only got limited info

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46278

Thanx ahead of time

Spidr
    The greater the knowledge
    The greater the experience
    THE GREATER THE CHALLANGE
    The more people I PISS OFF

I have responded in your thread. Please be a bit more patient next time—wait at least a day or so before reposting anything.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Is there a limit to campaign map size? i.e. map_regions.tga?

Probably, but none that I know of specifically.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Max build time for a unit (and presumably a building therefore) seems to be 244 turns. I say "seems", because I haven't actually gone through 255 turns to see if it's the case. I'd set a unit to a build time of 800 turns just to make them effectively unbuildable, but at least retrainable. Anyway, in game it displays their build time as 244 turns. Fairly trivial really, but there you go.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Is there a limit to campaign map size? i.e. map_regions.tga?
    I asked Dead Moroz the question and he had this to say:

"Theoretically there's no such limit. The map could be even larger. In any direction. But because of regions limit (at least now) you have to make all regions larger if you want to create larger map. And this will cause problems with AI: bad pathfinding, no road connections between regions, no trade. Very large regions will be isolated from each other. As CA said, the distance between neighbouring cities should be not larger than 50px. Actually safe distance is different in different situations. You should have some number of small regions between large ones to make all regional system work ok.

So this restriction of regions' size determines the real limit of map's size. The situation became better in 1.2. Maybe in expansion it will be more better."

Quote Originally Posted by Encaitar
    Max build time for a unit (and presumably a building therefore) seems to be 244 turns.
    I saw you suggest this idea as a solution to making retrainable mercenaries last year, and I was wondering if you'd seen if it impacted the AI? My concern is that the AI doesn't include the turn count in its cost-benefit analysis and that they'll get stuck trying to build this unit for the rest of the game.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 04-27-2005 at 15:13.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

So generally, we could assume that map size limit is 10000 pixels on one side :) (200x50)
    I'm still not here

I seem to have discovered an important fact that frustrated me to no end: when editing the textures for the battle map, anything - buildings, units, etc, export it as DXT1 with RGBA 1 bit Alpha. If you do it with DXT1 RGB without any alpha, you'll get messed up, and if you don't do it with any DXT format at all, you also get screwed. Btw I haven't tried it with other DXT formats, not that I know anything about them anyway. Oh and btw, to save in a DXT1 format seems to require that both the length and the height of your texture image are powers of 2, i.e. 64, 128, 256, 512, etc, or otherwise you can't save in that format.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; 04-27-2005 at 17:31.

DXT1, I thought everything was supposed to be done in DXT5 (not that I know anything about the difference between them either).
    8. Second Save Pop Up Window : ( Don't play with this since it autosaves and it sticks the acterations to your PC no matter if you remove all the known paint files *.DDS etc...so be careful ! I will attach a profile that can be loaded by the second DDS save PhotoShop window)

-Save format DXT 5 ARGB (Interpolated Alpha)
    -2D Texture
    -Use existing MIP maps
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Where's the quote from? I think I'm having a case of rediscovering the wheel :)

Ermmm... I'm sorry to say that it's from Newbie Mod Tutorials:2D & Units & Provinces :embarrassed:

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

An ancillary can only have 3 ancillaries listed for ExcludedAncillaries. 4 or more will cause CTD on program startup.

As for traits, I have successfully tested 600 as a threshold.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    As for traits, I have successfully tested 600 as a threshold.
    Meaning you can have at least that many, or you can't have more?

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    Meaning you can have at least that many, or you can't have more?

-Simetrical

At least that many. 600 worked successfully as the number of points needed to reach a certain threshold. And I was able to assign 100 points at a time with no problems.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!

It appears that there's a limit of 195 character traits overall, and 9 levels per trait. Blast. Strange number, though . . . why 195? I'm pretty sure I counted correctly. (I wish it were 256 . . .) Is anyone else able to confirm my findings? The 196th character trait is not recognized.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    It appears that there's a limit of 195 character traits overall, and 9 levels per trait. Blast. Strange number, though . . . why 195? I'm pretty sure I counted correctly. (I wish it were 256 . . .) Is anyone else able to confirm my findings? The 196th character trait is not recognized.

-Simetrical
    I can confirm that more than 256 traits will work. I haven't tried more than 9 levels to a trait, though.

I got that error message "Trait not recognised" once when I had used "Antitraits" instead of "AntiTraits" in defining the previous trait. I thought I had hit a hard limit, too. For a couple of days, I was not a happy camper . But once I got pointed in the right direction, I started looking for what I had done wrong.

Once I started moving traits around a different one became unrecognized--the one immediately after the one I moved. That pointed me to looking at the definition for that trait, where I found the error. It's probably just something like that, that you've run into. Another problem I always have is forgetting "Condition Trait TraitX"; instead I write "Condition TraitX" but at least that returns an error that's easy to track down.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast