Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hard-Coded Limits

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Default Re: Hard-Coded Limits

And isn't that a relief! Turns out I had the Hidden line after AntiTraits rather than before. Thanks!

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Maximum missile range depends on the range in export_descr_units.txt and on the velocity in descr_projectile_new.txt.
    I copied big_boulder and copied it as big_boulder_2, I doubled the velocity and my onagers could targets on the other side of a large town.

What's the men per unit limit as of now for cinematic purposes?

243, with 60-man size specified in EDU.txt, Huge size, and three officers. I think there's some convoluted workaround, but I don't know if it'd work for cinematics.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Cinematics are just battle replays, so shoot.

Thanks for this thread! I just figured out why my mod is giving CTDs :-)

There had best be a way to get round those hard coded limits. All I wanted was huge battles. Seriosly, that's *all* I wanted :(

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Well you can still get pretty big ones, have you got the settings on huge unit size? And then you just make every unit have the maximum in men. 16 units per army, thats quite big....

Sorry but thats the trouble with hardcoded stuff. Anyway welcome to the .ORG

Quote Originally Posted by dsyrow1
    My dream has come true!

But seriously, it doesnt seems possible. Was that a multiplayer game I take it?

@Myrddraal: Yes, I'm on huge unit size, but that just doesnt cut it for me (I'm sorry to say) I wrote a little program that will go through the unit_prod file and multiply the size of the units by a certain amount up to the hard coded limit, but this makes the barbarian factions have a critical handicap during battle. They rely on large hordes of men per unit & if the Romans (for example) have an equal amount, then they dont stand a chance. i.e. the game becomes unbalanced :(
    Furthermore, due to the population growth rate *not* being modified depending on what unit size you have selected, you run into very large problems getting your cities up to a decent level & maintaining an army. This, I far as I'm concerned, was an oversight by CA (that probably had Activision breathing down its neck). Propulation growth should be higher for the larger unit sizes.

Anyway, I digress. How do you get those gigantic units if it is possible?

PS Thanks for the warm welcome :)

another quick question :

what is top limit for amount of money that can be added to faction in descr_strat ?

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Good question - I will admit to knowing it is at least 70 million
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

going over certain amount will eventually cause RTW to CTD or even worst PC might get locked up on the end of the turn.It would be good to know what would be highest amount per faction

just one question... what is the maximum number of units? In the FP it sais both 300 and 500... i need to plan:)
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

It used to be 300 but became 500 with the 1.2 patch. I guess I forgot to update the first paragraph!

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Maly Jacek
    going over certain amount will eventually cause RTW to CTD or even worst PC might get locked up on the end of the turn.It would be good to know what would be highest amount per faction
    By trial and error process I have come conclusion that highest amount seem to be 999.999.

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    It used to be 300 but became 500 with the 1.2 patch. I guess I forgot to update the first paragraph!
    are numbers of models allowed in descr_model_battle still at 255 ?
    Last edited by Hans Kloss; 07-06-2005 at 09:49.

Yes.

Edit: And Dol Guldur says 70,000,000 is a valid amount of denarii in descr_strat.

-Simetrical
    Last edited by Simetrical; 07-07-2005 at 02:39.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Indeed, 500,000,000 (500 million) denari also works perfectly well thank-you-very-much. I wonder what that is in today's money?

Maybe $100 million to $10 billion. Peanuts, really. The use of denarii as currency is rather silly—a denarius was worth not much at all. A decent job got one denarius a day. Roman legionaries got paid maybe 300 denarii a year or so, but in the game a group of 40—assumed to be representative of 1600-2400—gets paid hardly more than that. That's why RTR 6.0 will be switching the currency to silver talents: not perfect, but a lot better. 500 million talents of silver would be equal maybe 10 billion pounds of it, while some Googling tells me would sell for around $70 billion today. I expect that silver was worth more back then, however.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Denarii is your standard int. Max positive value is 2,147,483,647. If you put in 2,147,483,648 for instance it becomes -2,147,483,648.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

For some strange reason when I start campaign with more then 999.999 after 8 or 9 turn RTW locks up my PC

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

I modded deesc_model_strat.txt by adding my own entry for stra map model (after editing desc_character.txt of course). The campaign map always CTD with this error:

Unable to find texture ".

At first I thought it was my model that's causing this, but when I deleted the entry and instead pasted my model's data on an existing strat model entry, it worked fine and my model showed up on the map. So is there a maximum number for entries in desc_models_strat.txt?

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by wlesmana
    I modded deesc_model_strat.txt by adding my own entry for stra map model (after editing desc_character.txt of course). The campaign map always CTD with this error:

Unable to find texture ".

At first I thought it was my model that's causing this, but when I deleted the entry and instead pasted my model's data on an existing strat model entry, it worked fine and my model showed up on the map. So is there a maximum number for entries in desc_models_strat.txt?
    I'm not sure about the possible limit, but I have included at least 7-8 new models in descr_model_strat. They were taken from the battle models without problems. However, when I tried to add another model, the game CTD because of unknow reasons.
    I would try with another model to include in descr_model_strat just see what happens.
    Good luck.

An ancillary can give no more than 8 differents bonuses.

if >9 differents bonus you never get that ancillary even if you put 100% to its trigger.

If changed to >9 differents bonuses during a campaign, generals with that ancillary will keep the previous bonuses even if you transfert that ancillary.
    Generals who receive a such ancillary get nothing.

Correction i mean >8

Thanks for the info!

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Added this:

Hidden resources: Min 1?, max 63 or 64 (not sure which). Extras cause a CTD, not including rome causes a CTD (I think), not including italy prevents Marian reforms (I think). Experimentation, experimentation. But see here for a way to overcome the limitation.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

I have a texture of a little over 1000K (512X512) and it seems to be too much for my "not bad" graphics card/PC memory. I get the "insufficient memory to load texture set" message (or whatever it says!)

Anyone got more research/comments on this?

The recruitment panel can only show a maximum of 32 units (not including agents), so if you have more than 32 units recruitable in a specific place and a specific faction you're likely to get a CTD.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

--I have a texture of a little over 1000K (512X512) and it seems to be too much for ----my "not bad" graphics card/PC memory. I get the "insufficient memory to load ---------texture set" message (or whatever it says!)

--Anyone got more research/comments on this?

I have had this happen while editing models in the descr_model_strat file. What happened to me is that RTW looks at the .cas file you have selected..lets say gondor_ king.cas and looks at the .cas file and see's the texture file you used to make the original texture say gondor_king.psd tries to load it along with any other textures you associated with it in the strat file and will give you that error or another error that says unable to load texture set. there might be other causes but that is what my trouble was caused by.

another cause I have found was if you add a model to the descr_model_battle file and give it the mercenary trait(in the unit stats) but forgot to associate a merc skin it will load the texture file you associated with the .cas while editing in (3dsmax or whatever you use).
    These may not be the problem but these HAVE happened to me.

thomas

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast