Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hard-Coded Limits

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Default Re: Hard-Coded Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    The recruitment panel can only show a maximum of 32 units (not including agents), so if you have more than 32 units recruitable in a specific place and a specific faction you're likely to get a CTD.
    Added.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Actually this is about a "hard-coded trigger", but I think it fits here better than elsewhere. After lots of experimenting, I believe that there is a hidden hard-coded script trigger condition of "faction family generals count less than 60% of faction settlements count" where this trigger condition is a pre-test for triggering birth events (subject to fertility level factors) , triggering Adoption events, and triggering Man_of_the_Hour events (subject to successful battles). Adoption events seem to occur primarily if there are no successful MOH events in the 1-2 turns after this hard-coded trigger condition is met. After multiple test campaigns, it appears that meeting this hard-coded trigger condition is the only way of getting a "well populated family tree".

Just another minor contribution that will probably be invalidated by RTW/BI.
    Last edited by dhague; 09-06-2005 at 06:15. Reason: pointy bracket replacement

Yep, this is known. Although you might want to edit your post, the board hates pointy brackets for some reason.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

export_descr_character_trait.txt

There is a limit of 10 in the number of antitraits that can be set for a single trait.

You cannot have more than 10 antitraits.
    Last edited by kayapó; 10-06-2005 at 07:56.
    Worshiper of therother.

Rats! Well, we'll pull through, I guess.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeGrasdyke
    The other limits (200 provinces, 255 unit models, 20 landmasses) have been left in place, and it's unlikely that there will be another patch which will change those. Oh well...
    Hello Jerome,

Not sure if this was already answered, maybe someone that knows could answer instead, but does the 255 unit models include the various LOD's?

Exemple, is roman_100.cas, roman_200.cas, roman_300.cas and roman_400.cas considered 4 models or 1 model in that 255 limit?

Thanks
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

This has already been addressed I believe.

Clearly there are far more than 255 cas files attached to units. The limit must therefore apply to the number of model entries in the DMB file.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Ahh thank you, this clarifies this aswell, much appreciated!
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Updated with max general bodyguard size.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

In the descr_regions.txt there is a limit of 9 resources either hidden or not. More resources are apparently ignored by the engine.

Added. Have a link to discussions, research, whatever?
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

LoneGunman made a research post in TWcenter.
    Resources Per Region Limit

i belive i have found a new hard coded limit for buildings complexes in : https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...334#post973334
    " Cool modders read and write tutorials
    Cool modders help each other out "

by Epistolary Richard

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Not a "limit" as such, but I have noticed with chariot units that the missile count includes the charioteer. So his missiles are distributed to his comrades. If there is a single passenger firing missiles, his missile count is doubled. If there are two passengers firing their missile count is effectively increased by 50%. Tested this with javelins, suspect the same is occurring with arrows. Have not tested elephants for this.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Default Sv: Hard-Coded Limits

I think the antitrait limit is 20 in v1.6.
    Last edited by lysarin; 01-31-2006 at 21:43.
    "Men and guns are fine but give me more tanks!"

Post Re: Hard-Coded Limits

Whilst tweaking descr_rebel_factions.txt, I've found that if you include more than 20 units under a non-region based event, the game will give you an error message from -show_err.

Note, however, that this message was not encountered during startup or before entering a battle. Instead it was encountered after RTW had been exited, then it popped-up before returning to desktop. This would suggest that you can get away with including more than 20 units under say, Brigands, Pirates or Gladiator_Uprising, but you will be prompted to lower your limit in the text. Here is what I received:

"too many unit types in rebel faction type (brigands)"

In my case there were 22 units under Brigands, so semi-colons (;) were used to filter out 2 of the lines, rather than completely remove them from the script. So it appears the maximum value for this is 20.

Also tried finding a minimum limit, completely removed all unit entries, but left the type of rebellion in, IE Brigands. Relaunched RTW, I noticed things seemed to be a bit 'sticky' when browsing through menus, which suggested the game was having difficulty reading one or more of the text files. Sure enough when RTW was exited, a prompt dialogue box appeared stating the following:

"unknown identifier for rebel type (brigands) when expecting unit"

If you want to include the possibility of a non-region based rebellion, the minimum number of units appears to be at least 1, and from the above, the maximum appears to be 20 units. I'm assuming this criteria also applies to region-based rebellions as well, but note many of these by default contain a handful of units, typically 5-10 per region.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Post Re: Hard-Coded Limits

Skimmed through the posts again, don't think it has already been posted. Discovered the max range for javelins (foot units) from this:

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seasoned Alcoholic
    Skimmed through the posts again, don't think it has already been posted. Discovered the max range for javelins (foot units) from this:

No, I don't believe that is a limit, it is based on velocity. If you increase the velocity in projectiles_new you can increase the range without that message. The game doesn't know what the projectile is. Other than fortifications using specific names, the projectiles are generic. You could make the javelins into arrows, and arrows into javelins swapping their projectiles stats, and the game would not know the difference.

Even with that message the javelins work, they just can't throw farther than the distance given. I know this because I reduced the velocity, and got a range limit that was considerably less.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Hi;

My main question (you 'll find many more reading it to the end,lol) is: what is the minimum value of "Chance:" when we tweak the triggers in the descr_export_ancillaries.txt?

I am asking cause I got really frustrated couple of days ago...I gave some retinues the trigger chance value=0 and yet kept getting them coming.

Is there some sort of 'conflict' created with other values I altered?Do we know whats the minimum value?And if the minimum is "1" isnt it bit of 'unrealistic' in mathematics terms? I mean,"0" as a chance looks pretty fine to me,lol,why should it be a false value? :)

The way I see it,I am just trying to save the game from this extra little bother to calculate those little extra chances,and the game doesnt seem to accept my helping hand! :)

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ainafoeht
    Hi;

My main question (you 'll find many more reading it to the end,lol) is: what is the minimum value of "Chance:" when we tweak the triggers in the descr_export_ancillaries.txt?

I am asking cause I got really frustrated couple of days ago...I gave some retinues the trigger chance value=0 and yet kept getting them coming.

Is there some sort of 'conflict' created with other values I altered?Do we know whats the minimum value?And if the minimum is "1" isnt it bit of 'unrealistic' in mathematics terms? I mean,"0" as a chance looks pretty fine to me,lol,why should it be a false value? :)

The way I see it,I am just trying to save the game from this extra little bother to calculate those little extra chances,and the game doesnt seem to accept my helping hand! :)
    "1" is about as low as you can go. Any lower, and you might as well delete the trigger or comment it out. If you examine the traits and ancillaries files, you'll see there's not much math going on in there.
    Last edited by Malrubius; 01-07-2006 at 14:59.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Thank you Malrubius.And yes, certainly not any atomic theory going on in there,but somehow the value "0" sounded possible to my ears.

I could do this (minimize chances to get an undesired achillary) by typing a line to exclude my faction I guess.

But I have found some problems when trying to exclude specific retinues from specific factions (e.g my game goes ctd when I try to exlcude the "spice merchant" from the Senate)...

Anyhow-thanx for your answer mate;

Quote Originally Posted by Ainafoeht
    I could do this (minimize chances to get an undesired achillary) by typing a line to exclude my faction I guess.

But I have found some problems when trying to exclude specific retinues from specific factions (e.g my game goes ctd when I try to exlcude the "spice merchant" from the Senate)...

Anyhow-thanx for your answer mate;
    You got a CTD by adding this line to the trigger?
    Code:
              and not FactionType romans_senate
    Can you even play as the Senate? I thought that was buggy anyway.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Crow
    i belive i have found a new hard coded limit for buildings complexes in : https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...334#post973334
    Added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    Not a "limit" as such, but I have noticed with chariot units that the missile count includes the charioteer. So his missiles are distributed to his comrades. If there is a single passenger firing missiles, his missile count is doubled. If there are two passengers firing their missile count is effectively increased by 50%. Tested this with javelins, suspect the same is occurring with arrows. Have not tested elephants for this.
    Added.
    Quote Originally Posted by lysarin
    I think the antitrait limit is 20 in v1.6. Seems like it at least.
    Added.
    Whilst tweaking descr_rebel_factions.txt, I've found that if you include more than 20 units under a non-region based event, the game will give you an error message from -show_err.
    Added.
    Discovered the max range for javelins (foot units) from this:
    Already listed, but thanks anyway.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

I wanted to clarify something, the tech tree levels is limited to 5, and the amount of buildings per level 64? How many buildings can be in the game in total? Are the number of special buildings, such as the colossus of Rhodes or the lighthouse in alexandria limited?

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    And isn't that a relief! Turns out I had the Hidden line after AntiTraits rather than before. Thanks!

-Simetrical
    Thought I would add this post in case someone has the same problem I did. "Hidden" must be before ExcludeCultures in the "export_descr_character_traits.txt" file. Maybe it needs to be right after "Characters".

This forum topic just solved a problem I was having with the character traits I was creating. Everything worked great, then suddenly it stopped working and was getting the error message "Trait not recognized" via using the "-show_err". The trait that was not being recognized was right after the one I had hidden, but added the "Hidden" entry in the wrong order.

I sure find "The Guild" invaluable with my modding efforts. Thanks for posting this info!

Vale,
    Marcus Camillus
    Last edited by Marcus Camillus; 06-10-2006 at 20:55.
    Marcus Camillus

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    -- William Shedd

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Valuable indeed - and I too am thankful for this venue of modding research & tutorials!

Orwell - the tech trees are limited to 64 and the number of buildings within a tree (confusingly called "levels") can go as high as 9 (which can be spread over as many of the standard settlement levels as you wish, including village although this latter will not display on your BB, nor will upgrades on the same settlement level or secondary or tertiary branches).

The tech trees are quite flexible. The "special buildings" you mention are called Wonders and they are not buildings. They are strat_map models assigned to hardcoded effects. You cannot edit the effects (though you can create your own on top of them by assigning them a building) and there can be no more than 7 of these in the game.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Quote Originally Posted by dark
    In the descr_regions.txt there is a limit of 9 resources either hidden or not. More resources are apparently ignored by the engine.
    In vanilla rtw patched to 1.5 I added 26 resources to umbria of the form aaa, bbb, ccc etc through to zzz and then made the practise field require hidden_resource zzz. It worked as intended, ariminum could build a practise field but arretium couldn't.

It may be different in 1.2.
    It's not a map.

Does anyone know the limit to how many ancillaries a character can have? Working on my latest mod version, it appears to be a maximum limit of 8 ancillaries per character.

Also, I seem to remember reading some where that the maximum number of traits a character can have is 20 traits. Is this correct?
    Marcus Camillus

-- William Shedd

8 ancillaries is the max (probably due to issues with the portraits), but AFAICT, there is no limit to how many traits a general can have. In testing, I've had over 64 visible traits with no problems, and EB has tons of hidden traits, as well. My guess is that the records are initialized at game start when the edct file is parsed, and that a general could conceivably possess one of every single trait/antitrait combination.

Cool, thanks for the reply, Malrubius. So the limit for each character is 8 ancillaries, and it looks like no limit for traits. The traits having no limit is great, especially for my current Roman Leadership system.

I ran into the 8 ancillaries limit, but I came up with a system to limit the number of regular ancillaries to 6, leaving me an extra 2 for my Roman Military Leadership system.

What I found through experimentation was that I could have each regular ancillary (those that were not part of my Roman Leadersip system), assign an "Effect NavalCommand 1" attribute to a character that held that ancillary. I then added to all the triggers for these regular ancillaries a condition of "and Attribute NavalCommand < 6" so that a character who currently had 5 regular ancillaries could receive one more for a new total of 6 regular ancillaries, leaving 2 slots open for my Roman Leadership system's custom ancillaries, such as my Roman I Legion Banner for my Legate rank trait, or my "Quaestor of the Governor of Latium" ancillary for my Governor of Latium rank trait.

Giving a family character a NavalCommand attribute did not cause any CTD or other problems, and I receive no error messages from using the "-show_err" startup option. I knew from research online and looking through some of the graphics files and text files, that apparently CA at one time was thinking of allowing family characters to be assigned as Admirals, but changed their mind at some point. So, apparently the game engine does not object to this use by my Roman Leadership system. It does not show up in-game and is effectively hidden from the player's view. So only the game engine, me, and whoever looks through my files will notice this.

I did this so that a when a character gains regular ancillaries like normal, he does not gain so many that there is no room for my custom ancillaries, which I have even assigned custom graphics.

Neat little behind the scenes trick. Perhaps someone else might find this useful for their own modding ideas.

I also found one other attribute that could possibly be used with family characters as a limiter too, "SenateStanding" attribute, which could possibly be used if the Roman Senate has been eliminated from your RTW mod. Another possible unused attribute if the Roman factions have been unified, is "PopularStanding", but this might be used for something other than the effect it had on the old Roman Senate, especially in BI.

Below I have attached the info I have gathered from the versions of RTW/BI concerning available attributes for characters, and a brief explanation for each from the data\text folder files and my own observations.
    Code:
    RTR 6 Gold Attributes (which is based on the RTW v1.2 Game Engine):

Ambush = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when ambushing.
    Attack = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when attacking.
    BattleSurgery = Percentage increase (+) or decrease (-) to battle casualty recovery rate.
    BodyguardValour = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to  bodyguard experience.
    BribeResistance = Percentage increase (+) or decrease (-) to cost to bribe.
    CavalryCommand = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when commanding cavalry.
    Combat_V_Barbarians = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Barbarians.
    Combat_V_Cathaginians = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Carthaginians.
    Combat_V_Easterners = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Easterners.
    Combat_V_Egyptians = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Egyptians.
    Combat_V_Greeks = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Greeks.
    Combat_V_Romans = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Romans.
    Combat_V_Slaves = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Slaves.
    Command = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars).
    Construction = Percentage discount (+ or -) on construction costs.
    Defence = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when defending.
    Electability = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Electability.
    Farming = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to farming output.
    Fertility = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Fertility (Increases or decreases the chance of having children).
    GrainTrading = Increases (+) or decreases (-) the rate of population growth.
    Health = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to public health.
    HitPoints = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to your general's hitpoints (how many hits your general can take before dying).
    InfantryCommand = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when commanding infantry.
    Influence = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Influence.
    Law = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Law (improves public order).
    LineOfSight = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to line of sight (increases the range at which enemies are spotted).
    Looting = Percentage bonus to cash gained from looting.
    Management = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Management.
    Mining = Percentage bonus or penalty on mining income.
    MovementPoints = Percentage increase (+) or decrease (-) Movement Points (inceases or reduces the distance armies can march).
    NavalCommand = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) at sea.
    Negotiation = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Negotiation.
    NightBattle = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting at night.
    PersonalSecurity = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to personal security (improves or reduces the chances of detecting and foiling assassination attempts).
    PublicSecurity = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to public security (improves or reduces the chances of detecting and capturing enemy agents).
    SiegeAttack = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when assaulting walls.
    SiegeDefence = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when defending walls.
    SiegeEngineering = Increase (+) to number of Build Points available each turn (required for the construction of siege equipment).
    SlaveTrading = Increases (+) or decreases (-) the rate of population growth in regions where slaves are plentiful.
    Squalor = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to squalor (increases or decreases population growth and public order).
    Subterfuge = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to agent's skill.
    TaxCollection = Percentage bonus or penalty on tax income.
    Trading = Percentage bonus or penalty on all trade income.
    TrainingAgents = Percentage discount (+ or -) on agent training costs. Each point equals 10%.
    TrainingAnimalUnits = Percentage discount (+ or -) on animal unit training costs.
    TrainingUnits = Percentage discount (+ or -) on unit training costs.
    TroopMorale = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Morale for all troops on the battlefield.
    Unrest = Increase (+) to Unrest has a negative effect on public order, decrease (-) to Unrest has a positive effect on public order.

RTW Attributes Excluded from RTR 6 Gold:

PopularStanding = Percentage increase (+) or decrease (-) to a faction's popularity with the People.
    SenateStanding = Percentage increase (+) or decrease (-) to a faction's popularity with the Senate.

Note: These 2 attributes are not used in RTR 6 Gold due to the elimination of the Roman Senate faction.

Attributes Changed/Corrected in RTW v1.5: (Compared to RTW v1.2 and RTR 6 Gold)

Combat_V_Barbarian = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Barbarians.
    Combat_V_Carthaginian = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Cathaginians.
    Combat_V_Eastern = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Easterners.
    Combat_V_Egyptian = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Egyptians.
    Combat_V_Greek = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Greeks.
    Combat_V_Roman = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Romans.
    Combat_V_Slave = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Slaves.

New BI v1.6 Attributes:

Combat_V_Nomad = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Nomads.
    Combat_V_Hun = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Huns.
    LocalPopularity = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to a character's local (city residing in) influence.
    Loyalty = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to loyalty of a character to the character's faction. Having a low loyalty increases the chance a general will join a revolt if one should take place.

New BI v1.6 Religious Attributes (Religious_Belief):

christianity = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Christian conversion of city's population. Every 1 point equals 5% conversion.
    pagan = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Pagan conversion of city's population. Every 1 point equals 5% conversion.
    zoroastrian = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Zoroastrian conversion of city's population. Every 1 point equals 5% conversion.

Note: These are not assigned via use of "effect", but via the use of "Religious_Belief" in a trait's listing.

Attributes Changed/Corrected in BI v1.6: (Compared to RTW v1.2 and RTR 6 Gold)

Combat_V_Barbarian = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Barbarians.
    Combat_V_Carthaginian = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Cathaginians.
    Combat_V_Eastern = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Easterners.
    Combat_V_Roman = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Romans.
    Combat_V_Slave = Increase (+) or decrease (-) to Command (number of Command Stars) when fighting against Slaves.

Note: The Combat_V_Egyptian and Combat_V_Greek attributes are not listed in the BI v1.6 traits file. I assume the Combat_V_Nomad and Combat_V_Hun attributes replaced them.

Additional Notes:

The maximum number of antitraits seems to have inceased with BI v1.6, which I have counted up to 11 in the BI traits file.
    I have posted this info to assist others with modding RTW, and as an attempt to give back to the TWCenter community a little for what assistance I have received.

Oh, and I am a great fan of your excellent "Genetics, Aging, Family, and Health Mod", Malrubius!
    Last edited by Marcus Camillus; 12-09-2006 at 10:20.
    Marcus Camillus

-- William Shedd

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast