Thread: Ships used by the moors.

Default Ships used by the moors.

I need some historical info and I'm having real trouble finding it. Does anybody know anything about the sea-going vessels used by the moors in early medieval times? Specifically fighting ships. Hours of internet searching has revealed nothing. Useful links, book recommendations or some info here would be great.

Default Re: Ships used by the moors.

I'd recommend

"The Age of The Galley: Mediterranean Oared Vessels since pre-classical Times"
    Edited by Gardiner and Morrison (part of the Conway's History of the Ship series)

The book covers just about every kind of galley from the Bronze Age to Leponto.

About what time are you interested in (year range)?
    'One day when I fly with my hands -
    up down the sky,
    like a bird'

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Well, that just about says it, I'd guess, but for some off-the-bat information, I'd say that the Moors used the ships that any other power in Islam used -- dhows, baggalas, etc. Small, nimble ships which managed to best the great Byzantine navy.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Well i don't know what type of ships they are, its not mentioned in arabic sources alot, but they do cover the armaments:

The Nafth Tube: Same as the byzantine greek fire weapon, pretty devastating weapon, where ships get close and the tube starts spewing nafth(naptha chemical).

Taboot: I mentioned them before, the taboot is like a fortified area of the ship that allows archers and slingers to throw arrows, javelins and stones from a relatively safe and protected area.

Burj(literal translation: tower): A small elevated area of the ship that is armed with a catapult or ballista.

The marines on board were mostly Hadhar Arabs, people with experience in sea navigation, naval combat and what not. (i don't know about Almohad or Almoravid marines however, this is about the moors so i'm guessing Ummayad spain).

The sides of the ship was usually reinforced with a specially tanned leather to avoid the wood getting on flame, but not all areas are protected.

I'm making a wild guess that the arabs in Ummayad spain used byzantine ship designs, becuase of mainly 2 reasons, the first arab fleet assembled was in egypt and damascus (plenty of time to study byzantine ship designs). The second reason (pretty weak to be honest) was the byzantine prince(can't recall name but was the "governor" of morroco) at the time of the invasion of spain helped the arabs cross the strait.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Thx for the responses guys, this info is very helpful. Conon, the time period i'm after is around the year 850 ad. Your info is of interest to me faisal, does it apply to around this time?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Ships used by the moors.

-
    conon394 and Faisal,

You are invited (or will be abducted ):

Here (particularly here) and here.
    -

Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 02-13-2005 at 16:54.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Interesting discussions... especially about the Arawaks... you see, I grew up among them, on Aruba

I will certainly lurk them forums, if only for the interesting articles on seafaring, which has always been an interest of me, having grown up next to the sea. Thanks for the link, I guess we are quitte now!

BTW, CrackedAxe, what is this for exactly? A story of yours? Or something for school?

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 02-13-2005 at 18:47.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

-
    You will be most welcome over there. I will guarantee that.
    -
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Sorry for the late reply, first things first however:

Crackedaxe: Yes it does cover the periods of 700-1100, ship designs haven't improved much with the arabs, up until 1808 we still used dhows, and when the british invaded we lost every major battle(trucial coast campaign, 1808-1819), the dhows design was pretty obsolete, and relied on oars, the sails were not utilised as good as the british ships, and it was armed with old cannons(acquired from the french prior to the war, later on the british kicked them out, so we were cut out of our only arms dealer in the region ).

Mouzapherre: Thanks for the invitation(abduction ) I will see what i can contribute. I have only one historical source on the ships armament however, ships designs during 19th cent. is from a local history book, in Arabic, i forgot the name, once i find it i'll post the name.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Thanks once again, Faisal, very useful info.

And well guessed. Wizard, this is for my next story, still in progress. I'll post an extract of it here in a week or two, probably one of the battle scenes (I know how much you guys like that kind of stuff!).