Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multiplayer Campaign in the works!

Default Multiplayer Campaign in the works!

Swoosh and I have been playing against each other using the multiplayer campaign and going online to fight our battles. It has some problems, but it's well worth the wait and very fun to play.

you can check out some of our gameplay on our 2nd campaign we played against each other by using this link Campaign Progress

Default Re: Multiplayer Campaign in the works!

hmm...i thought there was no campaign in multiplayer...? how did you make this happen?

Yea, I'm really curious as to how you are able to create a multiplayer (PvP; Co-op) campaign. If you actually have done it, then will you post the link to the program.... if there's such thing as a program.

Anyway, I looked into the campaign 2 of the Egyptians versus Selucied and it kind of gave me a PBEM feeling as well some doubts as to the credibility of an existing multiplayer campaign.

Please do post in reply as we all would love to hear about it. Thank you.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yes i want to know.

We do not sow.

I think you should understand that this is in test mode with some quite tricky manipulation of RTW going on in the background.

The aim really is to simplify these required modifications so that the campaign becomes more accessible and can support up to 8 people.

All credit to AMP and Swoosh for making this happen.
    Die Fast

I certainly would thank AMP and Swoosh for presenting this topic to the ever-curious RTW player. In fact, everyone is probably anxious to get their hands on this program, in respect to Swoosh and AMP, and would really love to play against people online.... The only question that I could think up for the creators of this multiplayer mod is about the release date. Is there a release date that everyone should expect or is it TBA?

Keep on posting those campaigns on the Grey Wolves Forum and thank you.

Also.... would the modification program work in respect to the new RTW patch? Or will it require the original RTW to function? Please keep us updated on everything about this wondrous idea.

As for release date its hard to say the project has only been running 3 days, although its an accumulation of ideas from over 3 years of community chit chat. At the moment testing is going really well with only a few nuances in the campaign section of the game im hoping to find a solution to them sometime in the week coming (fingers crossed), i may post some more story boards tonight in the third campaign if i have more time.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

keep us posted on the storyboard... we'd love to hear about it.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

But this is a automated thing or someone manually has to update the events?

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

automated

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

so does it work the same as regular campaign but you have people controlling the factions? sorry if thats a dumb question.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Yes the same as the normal campaign with players controlling factions, there are some cmpromises that will have to be made and im currently trying to reduce them to as little as possible.

Buddha

COOL! it sounds like your about to make everyones Totalwar dreams come true mate.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

one more question and I'll vanish into the darkness...

Is this program mod-available? Let me rephrase it. Will the program work with the mods that are released to the public? Give us the general outlook of the program's longevity with RTW.

I dont see any reason why the mp campaign wont work with any user created mod, im actually hoping once i release it some of the talented mod makers may make smaller campaign maps designed with pvp (player vs player in mind).

Buddha

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Now here's something to look forward to.

Just.. how it works? I mean, will it run like "just select MP campaign in menu and connect to your friend" or will it need some special adjustments per game?

It's not built into the game, if it was that easy to make playable just using a few steps and no speical adjustments i think the developers would've made one back in stw days.

It's rather easy to get setup, but dose take time to play with the extra steps you have to do each turn. The credit for the project goes to swoosh it was all her idea. I'm just helping her by play testing with her. It's a lot of fun to play though and finally it's against a human player and no crappy ai.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH!

If youz can gerry-rig da code to do it, there is no real reason to have not included it in the original app...

Perhaps if your mod is successful, the next TW game (or RTW expansion) will have something like it included.

It's the fabled "If you make, they will come" argument.

Just curious... how does it communicate?

Vanya gives the effort two enthusiastic thumbs up. (Vanya thinks they're up, but He cannot see since He have no head...)

GAH!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Greetings!

Are you two making any progress? I have been watching the thread Amp provided us with a link and was most…aroused? Damn, this is so good! If you could only make the AI factions active as well, so that they may engage in their own affairs and wars along with the two players, that would be incredible!

Please quench my thirst for info and tell me how is this coming on? Any progress? And will it be possible to play with more than just two players?

Keep up the good work!

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

You can have as many players as their are available factions, the mod has made some good progress no longer will the ai be disabled, so if there are ai factions on the map you will fight them also as normal, coop mode also possible. Im in the final phase of this i thought id have to crack 1.2 exe but this can be done using scripts as soon as i get the script written (have to learn scripting) you can expect a release, or if anyone who can do scripting can write it for me all the better as im busy with many things, should be an easy script to write id imagine.

Buddha

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

This is extraordinarily good news, Swoosh

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Great achievement Swoosh, I am at your feet, adoring you! Please do proceed and make this unique contribution to the TW community.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

One question from me: How exactly will battles be fought? Will it pause campaign and take you online, forming a new game, or will you have to do that manually?
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

WOW!

If this is what I think it is...

WOW!

Swoosh, you must get some organization behind this for the community. I just discovered this post. I think this thread may soon get flooded if more people here about it.

When you have the time, you should put a large information page together with the details. If nothing else, get a couple of organizers on board who can help you disseminate information and coordinate development. I have a feeling this will generate a ton of interest in the community, and thus you should feel proud of your accomplishment and eager to share more!

This could be big...

Regards and very best wishes to you!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

When a battle is to be fought you minimise the battle window on campaign map, save the game and load up multiplayer to play the battle vs your opponent. then fight the battle use the logfile calculator to work out what units were lost, then load up campaign and disband the units lost in the online battle.

Buddha

Ill make a thread in the mods forum and yes ill probably need some help on this now especially with the scripting side of things. Havent been able to contact amp in some time now so trying to get this finished on my own which isent an easy task and is burning me out.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 03-06-2005 at 23:44.

Buddha

BTW, what do you have to do to join the test for this(if there'll be any)?
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Im waiting on two things before the final test phase, one is confirmed the other isent, i will post here then in a seperate thread when these things are available.

Buddha

dont wanna sound stupid or anything but once this is complete will anyone wanna join a game with me so i can learn how to do these battles properly :) also how does map selection work for the battles.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast