Poll: Ireland or Scotland?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland v Scotland

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Default Ireland v Scotland

Well pick one.

Ireland is the less historically accurate choice, however, it may fit better into the game, due to the Irish Straits and the lower chance of the AI taking over England with them.

Scotland is historically accurate, however, it is more likely to take down England while under AI control and is much more similar to England and so has a less unique gaming experience.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Default Re: Ireland v Scotland

I am tied between the two. I would slightly prefer scotland, howeve, If it means England always geting destroyed then Ireland.

Edit: I voted Ireland, because on reflection, it might be better for gameplay, as AI doesn't invade across water too often.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 03-03-2005 at 04:51.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

That is why I am unable to vote, I am unable to decide which is better. I think I am biased towards ireland because of my Irish heritage and Irish Soda Bread is soo good too.....

I am thinking that in spite of that if we are not skinned alive by historians and Ranika, Ireland is the better choice...
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    I am thinking that in spite of that if we are not skinned alive by historians and Ranika, Ireland is the better choice...
    I know, I was originally backing Saranalos on a Gaelic Federation, and he managed to persuade me over to Scotland. Whichever one we leave however, we definately will use them in Feudal.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Oh, BTW, I sent you a pm.

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Ireland or Scotland is find by me; the confederation idea was the most irritating. As for how I view it, I am inclined to vote for Scotland for historical reasons, but the gameplay considerations are pretty valid. So I'll flip a coin and vote later.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

a room with a hole in the side for air and food and a computer on the other side.

Hey I was never for the Gaelic Confederation I was just for Ireland. I think if we have Ireland in the game we might be able to squeeze some scottish mercenaries in because as far as I know they were used regularly(correct me if i'm wrong on this).
    HELP CITADEL TOTAL WAR USE THE LINK BELOW

CITADEL TOTAL WAR: A modification for Rome Total War

Well, which one are we having?

Scotland. Everyone loves kilts and claymores!

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lief
    Scotland. Everyone loves kilts and claymores!
    There were no kilts around yet.specially not in military.

Anyway, Scotland was a major player in European politics. A scottish queen almost sat on the english throne thanks to spanish support. I dont think you can leave scotland out.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

a room with a hole in the side for air and food and a computer on the other side.

Well the Irish almost killed the english with the spanish armada exept it was commanded by a fool!

I prefer Scotland because of historical accuracy, but if euther Scotland or England keeps losing early, then Ireland.

Whatever the majorit eventually chooses I will go with. They are both very valid, anybody know if they can move a faction to just above the Britons in CTW and test it without too much trouble?

Maybe move the Gauls if it is possible.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Smile Re: Ireland v Scotland

scotland
    for history
    actually james VI of scotland sat on the english throne as james I in around 1600
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

[QUOTE=Uesugi Kenshin] Irish Soda Bread is soo good to....[QUOTE]
    *drools*

You people are going to be the death of me!

This has come down to 6v6 50-50. I have not cast my vote yet..... Has anyone else not cast their vote?

Oh this really sucks.... Gameplay v History, worst face off ever.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    You people are going to be the death of me!

This has come down to 6v6 50-50. I have not cast my vote yet..... Has anyone else not cast their vote?

Oh this really sucks.... Gameplay v History, worst face off ever.
    Well, if nobody else votes, its your decision. After all, you are the Team Leader.

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Voted for Ireland for gameplay reasons, under the pretense that it starts as a single province, and Ireland itself be divided up into a number of provinces, so that the Irish don't spread too over-rapidly; each province would have strong armies in them to make spread slow, and the English should have a single Irish province, so they're inevitably pushed to war with the Irish for the island. The English would start (in Ireland) in a weak position; they'd been struggling with indigenous Irish and Normano-Irish chieftans for some time, and they weren't in a very strong position at all. The Irish should start with Connacht, it was the most stable of the old kingdoms at the time, it had a king, etc. They'd start in an alright position. Not too wealthy or anything, but Connacht produces green marble, so their initial province should have some type of 'marble' resource to increase trade. Irish units in general should be kind of cheap to train and maintain (later Irish units, with chain armor, fire arms, etc. would be equal in expense to other countries units), so they can survive with a fair-sized early army and only a single province. They should be able to, within a few turns of the game start, take a second province in Ireland, but doing so should stretch them a small bit, and make them have to consolidate before moving to another province.

Scotland should still be two provinces, I think, each with strong armies in them, and Scottish regional units should be available for both Ireland and England.
    Last edited by Ranika; 03-05-2005 at 05:43.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

I have come to a conclusion!

I am voting for Ireland. In my opinion the Emerald Isle deserves a slot and will be very fun to play, it will also be more able to survive an English assault and hopefully will not take over England often if ever. It will also be exceptionally fun to play due to unique units, position, homelands fertility and the challenge of being surrounded by large rebel armies.

Rip me a new one tomorrow, tonight I have my last untroubled sleep.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Oh well I'm glad that people voted for Ireland but I like to argue. Now Come on Scotland is the better choice......

Didn't you before press very strongly for Ireland?

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Alba gu Brath!!!!!
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus
    Didn't you before press very strongly for Ireland?
    It was a joke....

Now this is a wee bit of a pickle lads. Ranika and I voted for Ireland giving it an 8-6 advantage but now two more people have voted for Scotland. We really need to find a way to stop tying....
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Maybe people have changed their opinions after voting?

Scotland was a kingdom with clear lines of succession, with an army, nobility and foreign relations. It fought wars with England. It had a parliament and a judiciary system At the end of the period a Scottish king sat on the English throne.

Ireland had none of these things, a quite wild country with no central authority.

Can anybody spell rebels?

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

This pole is, I think, of no use for decision making. The decision for me would be easy - Scotland. I don't know why are you wondering about Ireland being a faction on its own. You got a tye now, and I think it won't change much. There are no good reasons why Ireland shouls be a faction, as you can give Irish regions some unique units and make them rebels and you got what Ireland was at the time pretty much. Well, I'm pretty curious how you will resolve this situation.

Rergards
    EC

If by the end of the week it is still tied we will have a quick discussion and I will make a decision if everybodi is fine with that. I will take into consideration all aspects of the two factions and will attempt to remove all bias that I have.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Aggh! Scotland looks like it's about to triumph over Ireland.
    Just when itlooked like Ireland was winning...

Hound of Ulster Member Fianóglach's Avatar

Éireann go Brách! It would make more sense so choose Ireland, as it had yet to be fully integrated with ANglo culture, and was still a completely different place, and would allow for more unique units. Scotland for the most part under heavy influence from England, except in the highlands, wheras Ireland had a multitude of cultures in power in various parts of the country. Most of Eastern Ireland by 1607,(out of the mod's timeframe I know) after the flight of the earls was under Scottish and English Protestant control, and the Irish Gaels and Norse Irish were confines to the more western parts of Munster, and Connacht, and some parts of Ulster. This was solidified of course when the English invaded under Cromwell in 1649 and sacked Drogheda. I think it would be more fun for someone playing the game to play as the Irish, and I could definately assist you modders with history and unit info if you request. I am biased though, being from Ireland and all, lol.
    Last edited by Fianóglach; 03-10-2005 at 21:16.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast