Thread: Protectorate Advantages?

Default Protectorate Advantages?

Exactly what does one gain by making a country a protectorate? I am playing post patch with no mods. Other than doing it as a Senate mission I can't see any advantage.
    MTW it's not a game; it's a part time job.
    ---
    Any sufficiently advanced technology in indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke-

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Default Re: Protectorate Advantages?

A protectorate bundles an alliance with military access between both parties. If they pay any tribute to you automatically, I don't see it. Most important, however, is that the territories you act as patron to their client count as yours for victory conditions. So, when you get to the far side of the world, where you can't maintain order without massive garrisons and huge expense, make them a protectorate instead. You don't get the income or production from those cities, but you don't have to spend money on upgrading the cities, worry about them revolting, or maintain garrisons either.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

You do receive tribute from the protectorates. Each turn, protectorates receive their income, spend it on their expenses, and then send you every denarii left over. You can see the tribute received the Financial tab. This tribute can be quite substantial.

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Yeah, you definitely get tribute from them if they have any profits (which can be thousands of denarii), but I can envision a beaten-down faction that actually is losing money every turn. In that case, does anyone know what happens? Does it drain your own treasury, or do they just not kick up anything?

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Protectrates count towards ur winning goal so having them is nice.... though they are sometimes hard to keep ... i lost two protectrate when attacking the Macedonians as the Gaul -.- ( had 4 though, Bruttis/German/Britis/Spain... bruttis and German broke away.. costing me to go down from 10 province till 50 all the way down to 27 province till win XD....)

Usually they won't break by themself though, however if u hit their allies they are likely to break ... espically if they are once that are still in the game.

Intersting though, i have never had success getting 1 province factions to become my protectrate... but my highest record was getting the 20 province Brits o_O... ok... well acturally Egypt did once suggest to accept when they were down to 1 province... except that they ask for me to give EVERYTHING back to them.... which is over 10 + province through the Nile up the middle east... ummm no thx ?

Bah, I tried to get the Egyptians to become a protectorate as the Seleucids, they never accepted even when I had their last city and last army under siege.

But protectorates are great for those out of the way places that you want to add to your victory score and remove as a threat but don't really want to go through the trouble of conquering or holding.

Germany is an excellent example, maintaining it is a pain in the arse and the money you get from there is pitiful, its also full of rebels.

Numidia with its obscene travel times bewteen cities is another one, Spain too is out of the way and once you've already conquered the Gauls its rather useless really as all the action is in the east.

A hint of advice though, if you're going to make a country a protectorate choose any other protectorates with care, for instance if you go through all the trouble of making Germany a protectorate then DON'T make the Britons or Gauls a protectorate, because inevitably your two protectorates will probably be going to war with eachother which means you'll have to end up conquering one of them again after they break the alliance.

Spain and Numidia are another example, having them both as a protectorate is just asking for trouble, unless you capture and keep both Tingi and Cirta and leave the Numidians the rest, depriving the Spanish of a place to attack or blockade, that can work.

It should made so that two protectorates of one nation don't go to war with eachother, or that if two of your protectorates DO go to war with eachother that it doesn't break their alliance with you, or even that you can tell them to stop.

That explains why I didn't see any tribute, because it was Germania I had as a protectorate. I was unable to get any other nation to accept in that campaign, and in the current one, I've only tried Egypt (who refused). I'll worry about it later, once I've finished this civil war that started last night.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

to be honest YOU GAIN A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY

We do not sow.

Grrrrrr... getting a protectorate is my new obsession in RTW - I envy you guys that managed to do it without giving them back all their lost territories or freights of cash...
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

When I got Germania as a protectorate, I had 3 full 20-unit armies marching into their territory (two of which were sieging German cities), Germania was involved in a long war with Britania (and losing), and I gave the the "Accept or we will attack" ultimatum. Without that ultimatum, they turned me down flat.

If the AI gets an economic bonus at the higher difficulty settings then you will get more money from protectorates. (sounds like a "feature" to me)

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

I got my first protectorate when playing as the Suleucids. Having driven Thrace out of Greece I offered them protectorate status. They refused so I took yet another city and offered again, this time adding “Accept or we will attack.” They replied with something along the lines of “We don’t seem to have much choice so we accept. But we’re not thanking any of the gods for this situation!”

They went on to pay regular tribute that gradually went up and down between as much as 12,000 and as little as 200 per turn. I think they had three or four regions left so they were still viable. In fact my Thracian thralls continued to field several large armies.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

There's no problem with giving a faction a huge amount of cash for becoming a protectorate. You'll get 90% of it back at the end of their turn anyway.. huge exploit. You can buy cities off them that way, too.

I either missed it or havent seen, I understand yoyu get money after they pay city expenses, BUT if for some reason they field a huge army and are losing moeny, do you get the bill?

I think they should of added a AI assist so can steer your protectorate towards same goals as cites. This way you could have them go for trade production items and thus make more moeny to give to you.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar
    I either missed it or havent seen, I understand yoyu get money after they pay city expenses, BUT if for some reason they field a huge army and are losing moeny, do you get the bill?
    I guess this explains why protectorates I succeeded in getting net me zero money.

They were in debt with their armies. At least, I didn't pay for thier debts, but also didn't got any money either.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack