Thread: Map editing and CTD in game

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Map editing and CTD in game

Once more, I need some help from skilled modders.
    I'm currently trying to edit Dead Moroz's Mundus Magnus map, so it does fit with The Successors Total War.

Here's basically what I've done :

1 - I edited a map_regions from vanilla RTW. I first got rid of all provinces but two (latium and nile_delta). I edit descr_strat, descr_regions and descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup aswell. I launch the game, launch this new campaigns, everything works fine.

2 - I then edit all the map_ files from mundus magnus, so they fit to the area covered by the mod. I put them in a new campaign folder. I then edit the map_region file, so its size fits with all the new map_ files.
    Finally, I edit descr_terrain (I change the 255*156 to the new map_regions size : 305*175)

3 - I launch this campaign. It loads, the game starts, everything seems to work fine, but as soon as the screen reaches some areas on the campaign map, it does CTD.

I have absolutely now idea what might be causing this. I've already met this CTD problem a few times, but I've never been able to fix it. Maybe someone has any clue ?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Map editing and CTD in game

I remember I had exactly the same problem... but with MTW. Not very helpful that...

It must (or I think it should) be a problem with a visual aspect of the map. When you move over that area, it tries to load it but fails. Thats what the problem was with MTW.

Is it specific regions, or is it a certain faction you move over, or maybe wonders?

I don't know, but its worth checking.

Not sure if this could be your problem but I edited my own map and the game CTD same as you describe. I made no mistakes (checked and checked) then I thought maybe I should turn ON FOW then exit the game and turn FOW back off after restarting. It worked the game did not like FOW being off when starting the game. Worth a try.

John

Default Re : Map editing and CTD in game

Well, turning FOW on or off doesn't help. I'm going to investigate the rebels problems, though I doubt it's the reason, as the game already ctd while I scrolled over an empty area (no city or rebels)

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Did you remove some factions? If so then it looks like something I experienced too:

If the screen reaches an area where a settlement is present of a removed faction it will CTD. Remember the area so that you know which settlement is causing problems. Then check descr_regions and see if the starting faction (third entry in a region entry) is of a faction that is not present in the campaign.

Well, oddly, the game does not always ctd when I'm scrolling over a settlements.

Right now, there are 5 provinces in the map : Nile Delte, Marmora, Cyrenaica, Thebais and Latium

Latium is owned by the Senate
    Nile Delta, Cyrenaica and Marmora are owned by the German
    Thebais is owned by Egypt.

As loong as the screen stays in Thebais, that's alright.
    If I scroll to the west (Marmora), CTD, so it does if I scroll to the north (Nile Delta.)

It would make me think that it's a faction related problem, but I once went over arabia (scrolling to the east then to the north) and another CTD, although there's no settlements in that area (though Arabia is still a part of the Thebais province).
    I'm still investigating.
    Last edited by Meneldil; 03-24-2005 at 14:57.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Map editing and CTD in game

What about faction colours? Have you edited those. I'm really guessing here, but if its regions not settlments, then it could be either names or the colours of the borders... Or maybe not.

If it's CTDing when you scroll over a settlement, it could be that the engine is trying to load up a settlement model that does not exist. e.g. there are no models defined for barbarian large/huge cities or stone walls (these are defined in the descr_sm_settlements.txt file). So if you were to define (in descr_strat.txt) a large or huge city as being of a barbarian culture, you'll get a CTD when the game tries to show you the settlement on the campaign map.

Not sure if that's the problem in your case, but it's something to watch for.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

I kinda sloved the problem, by creating another campaign and editing the needed files once more. Apparently, it doesn't crash.

Anyway, here's Dead Moroz' answer, as I asked him if he had any clue about this issue :

1. Make proper map_regions - without so much water instead of land.
    2. Delete all mercenary pools (they are not necessary for game) except only one where you should add one or several of your actual regions.
    3. Delete disasters.tga - it's not required for generating of map. I think it's better to test the map without this file until you make it proper size.
    4. Delete all resources from descr_regions.txt.
    5. Delete all unnecessary factions (without regions) from descr_strat.txt.
    6. Check if all the building in cities satisfy the requirements for cities' levels and faction cultures.
    7. Delete "mines" building form Latium ('coz there isn't any mining resource here).
    8. Delete stone walls from German city in Thebais or change faction_creator to any non-barbarian faction (egypt, for example).
    9. Check if temples in German cities are German ones.
    10. It's better to delete all buildings (except core ones) in cities and then add 'em step-by-step.