Thread: Dont want to get on the flame ban wagon.

Default Dont want to get on the flame ban wagon.

As I said in the title I dont want to get on the flaming the game ban wagon because I love RTW but there is one thing I am beginning to dislike.

Started my first Greek Campaign and the enemy started attacking one of my cities every turn, once I would beat one another faction would assault my city which is not the problem the problem is I got down to 300 men in that city mostly all hoplites and think I have a spy within the city because the gates are always open when I am attacked now.

Here is the problem the enemy has all these seige engines and instead of using them just rush the gates, and I just put my 100 hoplites in front of the gate and the enemy are pulverized on my spears, did I mention the enemy is attacking my 300 with around 2000 men. They have been routed now about 10 times by my meager force which I am proud of now because they are holding the gate like it was their virgin daughters. But the enemy is not even trying to move around to another gate or use their seige equipment. How can I mod this to stop them from becoming shishkabobs on my spears each time?

Default Re: Dont want to get on the flame ban wagon.

You have three options

Disable walls

Don't use a phalanx

Use the phalanx, just not in phalanx mode

On the other side of the walls I get defferent problem - especially when attacking inside the city.

As we all know the pathfinding in cities is one of the most shameful buggy aspects of the game. But I lost 1000 spartans to very very poor pathfinding in a battle v the egyptians. 2 Units of chariots destroyed 8 units of Spartan hoplites, basically because they got dispersed all over the map . . . . I still won but I was put off assaulting for a while. Ive known about this awhile but its never happened this bad.
    And your heart beats so slow, Through the rain and fallen snow across the fields of mourning to a light that's in the distance.
    Oh, don't sorrow, no don't weep
    For tonight at last I am coming home.
    I am coming home.

I sadly know what you mean. I only allow myself 10 units per army and no reserve stacks in range to join battle along with one seige unit (onager, ballista, etc) to make 11. The only problem is that I have to fight out most sieges or I will lose every time in a heavily stacked city since the AI doesn't have the limit I impose on myself. Dealing with the horrid pathfinding is a real pain and I've lost some rather easy sieges this way either because I have a needed unit go galivanting around the walls to test the towers archery skills (not nice when it's my general doing it and he won't stop as I didn't catch him quick enough, so now he retreats along the OUTSIDE OF THE WALL instead of straight out), have units just go dumb and stand around or just holding their fire with a clear LOS to the enemy. Cities are a buggy mess and if the odds unit wise and on the screen are near equal or better in my favor I just hit autoresolve and take my chances. I'd rather not go bald trying to get my units to walk down a bloody street.

it never happend to me. have you tryed to pause the game and then use the shift key to set some waypoints? i allways do that in sieges, when i break thru the gate and i have to travel thru the city to get to the central plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1teWolf
    As I said in the title I dont want to get on the flaming the game ban wagon because I love RTW but there is one thing I am beginning to dislike.

Started my first Greek Campaign and the enemy started attacking one of my cities every turn, once I would beat one another faction would assault my city which is not the problem the problem is I got down to 300 men in that city mostly all hoplites and think I have a spy within the city because the gates are always open when I am attacked now.

Here is the problem the enemy has all these seige engines and instead of using them just rush the gates, and I just put my 100 hoplites in front of the gate and the enemy are pulverized on my spears, did I mention the enemy is attacking my 300 with around 2000 men. They have been routed now about 10 times by my meager force which I am proud of now because they are holding the gate like it was their virgin daughters. But the enemy is not even trying to move around to another gate or use their seige equipment. How can I mod this to stop them from becoming shishkabobs on my spears each time?
    Is this happening at Syracuse, because if it it is, I have the same problem. I think everyone does actually. I think the new patch made it so the gates are always open now. This couldnt be so bad, if the ai wasnt retarded and tried to jam 2000 games into a small gate guarded by 100 spearman.

Yea exactly Hai, it is syracuse and the gates were always open except for the 1st battle after that it was all the time so maybe it was a spy, but anyhow I doubt it is just there they charge the gates if they are open, because I wish I could open the gates to get this impaled army effect whenever they siege me.

Once I put a unit of Hoplites in the doorway and they lost against a macedonian phalnx and loads of lancers... unfortuantely the handy phalanx wasn't good enough to block that hole in the walls

Their pointy sticks weren't as long as the opponents - so they were useless as a door gaurd.

yea probably..
    i think those pointy sticks are called spears... lol

Are you sure its a 'Syracuse open gate' bug? Just to make sure, bring 5+ spies into the city and see if anybody gets kicked out. Usually, thats enough to get rid of any unwanted guests.

Im playing my first 1.2 game and have yet to be besieged by a proper army. Guess i have to wait till i start fighting my brother Romans.