Thread: AI using peltasts and archers for melee!!

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

Default AI using peltasts and archers for melee!!

Hi,

has anyone noticed AI peltasts and archers flinging themselves into the fray long before they've even thought about using their ranged weapons? IF so, do you think this is this a vanilla phenomenon or do you think it's a result of modding?

If it's not in vanilla, maybe it's a result of universal morale increases made by modders? For instance, maybe the high morale archers and peltasts are resulting in the AI using them more offensively?

If it's vanilla, has anyone found a way to change this in the files?

I was thinking along the lines of modding AI formations a little to keep them second row. Maybe this will prevent their ridiculous charges?

Anyone?
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

Default Re: AI using peltasts and archers for melee!!

It's very likely a modding result . I've only seen it in RTR , but when I fire up my Vanilla installation or my own ongoing mod it doesn't happen .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

I've seen it happen a couple of times in 1.2. So it's in vanilla.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

It happens now and then in vanilla.
    It seems confined to cases where the AI is confident of victory, which doesn't really help its chances of actually winning the supposedly lopsided battles.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Happens regularly, vanilla or not. The AI simply sucks.

When the AI actually skirmishes it is quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, many times the AI either charges its commander and cavalry into your line chasing skirmishers, or it charges its skirmishers into you.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

it always happens in sieges, but on the field it only happens when they ran out of ammo, or they've fired several vollies

We do not sow.

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

Interesting. Quite a varied response. From my experience I get the feeling that this happens more when the AI skirmishers are placed in the front row and seemingly more often when the AI is attacking..

I'm going to work on the ai formations and see if I can make any difference. It's just crazy how the AI charges one or two units of skirmishers at times, especially when they've not even thrown any of their javelins.
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

I watched a unit of peltasts wipe out a unit of Principes (sp?) in hand to hand combat. This was on 1.2, no mods.

Not right I tells ya!
    Centurion: 'What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?
    Brian: 'It-- it says, 'Romans, go home'.'
    Centurion: 'No, it doesn't. What's Latin for 'Roman'? Come on!..........

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Just yesterday i had two or three enemy archers launch an assualt across a bridge, in front of chariots, spearmen, and heavy infantry

Not very impressive
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1
    it always happens in sieges, but on the field it only happens when they ran out of ammo, or they've fired several vollies
    Not when it happened to me. it was on the field, and the velites were the first one to charge into my spearmen.

I notice it a lot in all the small rebel battles. Horse archers are affected too. Last night my faction heir was fighting some HAs, and I was thinking - "bastards, they better not shoot him dead before I can chase them off the map".
    However, while I was pondering the consequences of using my general to chase them, the HAs just decided to charge the general head on, with predictably pathetic results.
    Camp Fweddie - Wanking higher than any in Wome since 273 BC

2 things ive noticed.

1. Sometimes when im assaulting a city with seige equipment, when i first go to deployment the AI has given my archers the seige equipment and not my heavy inf - so I have to change it. So therefore when the AI assaults it will have a similar outcome but wont change it.

2. The AI appears to choose a formation and assault with units in front - instead of using them to fire.

Both of these happen in 1.2 unmodded.
    And your heart beats so slow, Through the rain and fallen snow across the fields of mourning to a light that's in the distance.
    Oh, don't sorrow, no don't weep
    For tonight at last I am coming home.
    I am coming home.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1

Not true, rarely have they fired anything at all when they decide to rush the line. The AI seems to forget what its front line is for when it happens to have skirmishers there, and instead charges with them.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.