Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scythia

Default Re: Scythia

Guess I will have time to finish my spanish campaign.

I revived this thread when I joined. When I posted my status, everyone started

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ziaelas
    I revived this thread when I joined. When I posted my status, everyone started
    Welldone, Ziaelas!
    What is your story and your status now?

Just wondered what faction Pezhetaroi wanted to play after Skythia?
    Just because I wanted more people posted in Greek Cities topic(when time comes).

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Everyone! Play Spain next so I have people to talk to on the Spain thread when I get there! ^_^ But only after I try Egypt. :-)
    I can talk with you on Spain thread, littlegannon and I have a Spain campaign going, but I don't think we will ever get around to visit, I rarely see him anymore.

I don't play RTW much per day, more just 8 hours on Saturday and a few on Sunday, I hope to play tonight but I don't think the computer is free.

Hey Ilia... I don't mind scrapping plans for Spain to join you for Greece first :-) But like Franc, I don't get much time to work on RTW, so you take your time and finish Spain first while I finish Scythia. I have three armies making their slow way south by three different routes to take down Egypt. :-P

Franc, let's play Greece after this! ^_^ Then we can join IliaDN. Interesting name, too...

Craterus, sad to hear your Spain campaign's stalled... I guess you'll be moving on to some other solo cavalry campaign soon?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

So I guess there will be a pleasnt company waiting me in greece!

you bet! :)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

No!!

Why does everebody leave this thread when I haven`t even started my scythian campaign yet?

I think I`ll start it today, looking forward to the nobles, and the barbarian onagers!

I have modded the game a bit, in an attempt to make TSE a superpower that can challenge me once I`ve finished Armenia and Parthia.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Don't worry thre are lot's of people having this campaign now.
    Last edited by IliaDN; 05-05-2005 at 15:40.

I'll join you guys in Greece. When I finish Scythia, if you don't mind waiting for me. I'll try and play some tonight, I'll play loads tomorrow night and hopefully all Saturday and Sunday.

Haha, Craterus, take your time, I've only yet conquered half the world (so no worries Viking, there'll be people to keep you company! ^_^), Ilia is in the middle of his Spanish campaign, and Franc is also somewhere still in the Scythian campaign... don't play too fast, else you'll beat us all there and be very very alone for weeks on end :-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Boo, those of you waiting for the second instalment of my epic, it's out :-) Includes my conceptualisation of my Scythian starter units. Hope the description does them justice.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Ave brothers in arms,

looks like we will have lots of fun in Greek

Finally Sparta gave up. The Greece send an army with two units to help them and the two famaly members without any troops to reconquer. The famaily members did not like each others so they fought and dies alone.

I still struggle with these Brutii bastards. Round Appolonia they gathered 8 armies (small and big ones) and had at least 4 family members. I sent my 1. army coming from Thessa. This was lead by a minor FM. It had a lot of infantry (4 archers, one axe and 1.5 phalanx, 1 onager) and only 4 HA. Rest was CCC (close combat cav.) My 2. army came from Thermon and was only half full.
    First round:
    1. Army: They pushed through and besieged Appolonia. Appolonia is held by a full army with lots of mercs. The Brutii forces are devided now.
    2. Army: Meets one full and two half full Brutii armies. Go into defensive position y building a fortress.

Second round:
    1. Army: Is attacked by a small (2 units) army in the rear. Appolonia garrison does not attack. Enemy is erased without losses.
    2. Army: Besieged; waiting for reenforcements
    3. Army: Holds Sparta now and gets filled again.

Third round:
    1. Army: Another attack, this time 1,800 Brutii led by their king. They have much more cav than I have. I have my inf. on a hill and my cav on both flanks. Cav fights on both sides. On the left flank the Brutti beat my barb cav. On the right I kill one equite unit. The other one breaks through and chases my HA. I have to follow and loose 0.5 HA and time. My right wing cav attacks their back and kills another equites and the gernreal but then it is wiped out. Meanswhile the hasatii and principes and glatiators reaches my infantry. I have heavy losses. My archers have to fight these damned dogs. Constant fire of Cretian archers. Situation is very critical. My general himself saves the day. He attacks from the right side and rides right through the whole front line. Enemy routes. I won but I have only 500 men left.
    Right after that the garrison sallies. Due to the bad condition of my army I withdraw. However - in the wrong direction, south. I find myself attacked by three Brutii armies and this time they come simulataneously. Lots of cav. Three family members. I fight hard and kill 800 including theit heir and another FM. But my army is killed amlost completely. My FM escapes but all men of his guad die.
    2. Get reenforcements and march north.
    3. Army: Still gets filled and fights some Greek suicide attacks.

After the desaster of my 1. army I form a new one under the command of my leader. I attack again from both sides and my 3. army comes too. This is not the blitz kind of war I planned; this is more a Verdun kind

In the meantime I killed the pop in Chersanesos and sent my heir with a small army to conquer Rhodos. So do not hurry, friends, it will take a will for me to end civilisation.

I have three armies making their slow way south by three different routes to take down Egypt.
    pezhetairoi,
    which ways do they go. Is this a naval operation? What is your experience with Egyptian troops?

Haha, Craterus, take your time, I've only yet conquered half the world (so no worries Viking, there'll be people to keep you company! ^_^), Ilia is in the middle of his Spanish campaign, and Franc is also somewhere still in the Scythian campaign... don't play too fast, else you'll beat us all there and be very very alone for weeks on end :-)
    That`s good to hear!

My scythian campaign started out as a nightmare: the 3. turn a big rebel army pop-ups from nowhere and occupies Campus Sarmatae.
    I have conquered Chersonesos, but yet I have more than enough with defending my cities from parthians, armenians, dacians and thracians.

My next move is to retake Campus Sarmatae!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    That`s good to hear!

My scythian campaign started out as a nightmare: the 3. turn a big rebel army pop-ups from nowhere and occupies Campus Sarmatae.
    I have conquered Chersonesos, but yet I have more than enough with defending my cities from parthians, armenians, dacians and thracians.

My next move is to retake Campus Sarmatae!
    Do not do it! Pack your things and go South!

Ave, Franconicus. I completed this campaign a while ago, thankfully Ara The Mighty, my faction leader and 10 star commander survived to see his dream fulfilled, before dying at age 64. ¬¬ All of Europe is mine, all that is left to fall is Africa, and parts of Asia.

Ok, help!!

I have a full German stack on my doorstep at Vicus Venedae, my small army up there is completely outnumbered, I tried taking them on while I still could but I had no chance and withdrew from the battle. What shall I do, I can't send up reinforcements because I'm busy finishing Thrace off. I can try and ambush them, which is what I'm trying to do but I just don't have the man-power to take them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Do not do it! Pack your things and go South!
    I`ll not take Sarmatae yet.

But I want revenge!!!!

Also I`m afraid that Germania takes Sarmatae first.

@Craterus, you`ll better try to exploit the dumbness of the AI, or just take back the settlement later.(sorry, no good advice! )
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Ok, help!!

I have a full German stack on my doorstep at Vicus Venedae, my small army up there is completely outnumbered, I tried taking them on while I still could but I had no chance and withdrew from the battle. What shall I do, I can't send up reinforcements because I'm busy finishing Thrace off. I can try and ambush them, which is what I'm trying to do but I just don't have the man-power to take them on.
    Craterus,

if you have more combat cav and some HA you can fight them anyway. As a cav commander I guess you know what to do!
    if not, make trade this town for an alliance. It is not worth to find for it!

PS: Almost 200 posts now for Scythia. I think in whole history they were never more known that now!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Beat em if you can. Otherwise, retreat. It's not worth fighting over.

Did you say you had a unit of 2 gold chevron HHM? That could destroy all the enemy cav. Then your HAs can play havoc with their infantry.

The gold-chevron HHM's have only 19 in the unit.

I have 2 horse-archers unit, 1 axemen unit, 2 generals units and the tiny HHM unit.

They have axemen, screeching women, warband, and a faction heir.

It will need some great commanding to beat them. If I try to beat them, and lose, then the Germans will keep on coming. If I retreat, what do I do?

The gold-chevron HHM's have only 19 in the unit.

I have 2 horse-archers unit, 1 axemen unit, 2 generals units and the tiny HHM unit.

They have axemen, screeching women, warband, and a faction heir.

It will need some great commanding to beat them. If I try to beat them, and lose, then the Germans will keep on coming. If I retreat, what do I do?
    I've never encountered screeching women (I use RTR, and always have),so I can't give advice there.

I'm on my first campaign, I'm using Sarmathia, which is Scythia in vanilla. I've found that versus infantry, I can only lose if I run out of arrows. If you can rout a bunch of those axemen (they should drop like flies with your HAs) you might be able to rout the entire army, earning a major victory. If you feel unable to do this, retreat, definately. Come back with a crap load of reinforcements, and destroy them. If you can, try to gain some profit for the region by using a diplomat to sell it to another nation.

During the battle, try to get HAs behind the warbands. Distract them with one HA in the front, and get another behind. It's hard to kill warbands with arrows from the front, and wasteful of arrows.

The hardest problem you can face is if the Germanics use cavalry for Generals. Do they? (Haven't fought them yet).

In my VH-VH campaign, I've taken all of Greece. Greek Cities are destroyed, Macedon is destroyed, Thrace is destroyed, Dacia is almost gone (two regions left), I've got a huge army in the east, destroying the rebels. I have 54 provinces. Parthia is almost gone, with three regions left (Seleucids destroyed them). The Seleucid Empire, who I have allied with, are reaming the Ptolemaic Empire, though I helped by taking the island regions that the Ptolemaics owned. I'm currently attacking Parthia, Pontus, Dacia and Brittania (I sent a diplomat all the way through the seas, and past Iberia to get there, just for fun. It's surprisingly hard, though I've bribed two family members. Most Brittanic armies are unwilling to accept money).

I stopped attacking the Ptolemaics, the Seleucids are doing fine, and I'm concentrating on the east, above the Seleucids. I'm guarding against the Romans, who are trying to exapnd into my territory, but aren't openly hostile yet. An Armenian diplomat is up in Brittania, trying to take the one colony I hold (tentatively) there, for some reason.
    Last edited by Tigranes; 05-08-2005 at 00:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigranes
    In my VH-VH campaign, I've taken all of Greece. Greek Cities are destroyed, Macedon is destroyed, Thrace is destroyed, Dacia is almost gone (two regions left), I've got a huge army in the east, destroying the rebels. I have 54 provinces. Parthia is almost gone, with three regions left (Seleucids destroyed them). The Seleucid Empire, who I have allied with, are reaming the Ptolemaic Empire, though I helped by taking the island regions that the Ptolemaics owned. I'm currently attacking Parthia, Pontus, Dacia and Brittania (I sent a diplomat all the way through the seas, and past Iberia to get there, just for fun. It's surprisingly hard, though I've bribed two family members. Most Brittanic armies are unwilling to accept money).

I stopped attacking the Ptolemaics, the Seleucids are doing fine, and I'm concentrating on the east, above the Seleucids. I'm guarding against the Romans, who are trying to exapnd into my territory, but aren't openly hostile yet. An Armenian diplomat is up in Brittania, trying to take the one colony I hold (tentatively) there, for some reason.
    Is very strange. You take Greek and Macedon yet Roman do not attack. I have completed many times Scythian campaign and Romans can not resist attack once you take Greek lands. They will come.

They're on the way. But I'm not worried. I bribed the first two armies they sent (full stacks), because I had no armies in that area. I've relocated some NHAs to the region, and thus, I am protected. Not sure though, I've never faced the Romans yet.

I've got plenty of money. I get some 15000-20000 denarii every turn, now that I took Greece. I'm very happy, after the original horribly crap economy.

I think I've reached the turning point. The struggle is basically over, and it's all downhill for the other nations now. Meh. I think I'll play the Britons next, or the Macedonians.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

I reach that point fairly quickly in all my games.

As for Craterus, you don't have to attack them. Just put the army in their path. They would attack it.

You can kill the faction heir with what you have.

The rest is all infantry. Run the HAs around till they run out of arrows. Then just run out the time with your cav dancing around their infantry.

You don't have to kill em all in 1 battle.

Even if you lose, it's no big deal. The towns in that direction are useless. If the Germans really want it, let em have it. I'd actually like to preserve that unit of HHMs more. Retraining it will be nice.

I need to attack them, put them on the defensive, if they come at me, there's nothing I can do. I just hope the ambush works...

Okay, lots of replies, far too many to quote... firstly, Egypt. I haven't had any experiences with the Egyptian troops yet, I am not touching them until I mop up Seleucids and Asia Minor. I have three armies. One is at Halicarnassus, bound for Rhodes and Kydonia. After which it will cross the Med and strike Alexandria. Meanwhile the second army will take Hatra and move south past Antioch (which has 20 units in it as garrison) and hit Damascus instead, and I hope I can draw out part of Antioch's garrison where I can destroy it. A third army is currently in deep Parthia, but once it takes Seleucia I shall send it across the desert to take Palmyra and then Bostra. They will be struck north, south and middle, so they will be unable to respond very well. In the event the Damascus prong is delayed the Alexandria army will land in Numidian territory and wait. There will be a first wave of two prongs, then a third coming out of the deep desert.

And now... yesterday was grand battle day... I fought five full stacks in three hours of playing. Julii, Scipii, Gaulish, Greek, Brutii, Armenian, Pontic... you name it, I fought it. Quite a stressful day yesterday was.

Craterus: you must be playing on vh for strategic... how the #*^!#$& did the Germanians send a full stack at you so fast? Let them take Venedae. Get a diplomat nearby... I notice barbarian armies have a nasty habit of taking settlements, then leaving their factioner in the city while they send out another force under a captain upon which you can bribe them. Meanwhile, head west and take their ancestral lands. Venedae is wOrthless anyhow.

Screeching Women? they are pathetic. Just delete them. Their morale bonus doesn't help much if you aren't going to hang around and let them take effect. Just take the back door and strike them, and they scatter. Instantly.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

My Greek campaign is done. I attacked the Brutii with three armies. One army came from Thermon and marched all the way to Salona.. It attacked three Brutii armies on the way. The other two cleared the area from remaining Romans and attacked Appolonia. I took both towns and killed some Brutii FMs. Of course I killed everyone I met inside.

Brutii still control the sea between Italy and Dalmatia. From time to time they land small troops. They disappear as soon as I attack.

In the meanwhile I landed on Rhodos. I was attacked by a Greece FM with some hoplites. I had three onagers and 3 archers and a slaughtered them before they could reach my line. Then I attacked the town and took it. Greece cities are now gone! I also landed near Kydonia and took it. They had some nice units, but are so incredible underdeveloped that they did not have a single building. So I spared them.

Having these two islands and the wonder of Rhodos really boost my cash flow. In fact I have more money I need right now. I will need the money when I attack Egypt.

Meanwhile I landed an army in Italy. I attacked and took Croton. Killed the first Triatrii unit here. (Onagers do damage to them!) I erased population and received 12,000 D for that. Unfortunately I have to wait for my fleet to withdraw again. In the meantime I laid siege on Tarentum. A Scipii army is coming but I do not really want to fight them now. My next target would be Messana or Syracuse.

I was taken by surprise by the Julii. They bribed Campus Sarmatae. No idea what they want there. A spy is on his way.

A fleet started to Egypt. It has 2 FM, 4 onagers as well as some other troops and a diplomat and a spy. My plan is to land near Alexandria, buy so many mercs that I have two armies, block the bridges over the Nile and attack Memphis. Make it my base camp, make a trip to Graceland, take Alexandria, destroy Thebes and march to Jerusalem. Then Egypt should be broken.

Thracia is dead, Greek Cities are dead, Macedonia has only Segestica left (that is right where I want them to be); Brutii have only Tarentum. The Gauls are gone too.

Germania is a very reliable friend of mine. Dacia does not dare to do anything against me because they fear Germania. Furthermore Germania is at war with the Romans and keep them busy at their northern frontier.

...Greek campaign? I thought we were going to play it together with Craterus and IliaDN... >.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast