Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Scythia

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Scythia

Do not worry. I mean my campaign against Greek. This one is finished, now. So you can call me Greecicus, I guess.

Wow, Franconicus, your campaign game is completely different from mine!

I`ve finished of Dacia and Thrace and got Armenia as my protectorate.
    Parthia is somehow paralysed, they don`t attack me anymore.

Germania is my worst enemy, and the greek cities are about to crush Macedon, posing me a real challenge in not too long.

But then you`re a little longer out in your campaign than me..
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Ave Viking,

that is why RTW is so great, you can try so many different strategies.

I always try to go south to the Mediteranian. Otherwise I am broke all the time. And I like it hot

My opinion is that fighting Dacia, Germania and Parthia does not pay. They are as poor as you are.

Well, I suppose I've lingered on this thread too long. You obviously don't need my advice...... *Runs off sobbing*

Ave Viking,

that is why RTW is so great, you can try so many different strategies.

I always try to go south to the Mediteranian. Otherwise I am broke all the time. And I like it hot

My opinion is that fighting Dacia, Germania and Parthia does not pay. They are as poor as you are.
    I agree with the Mediteranian bit, but I like to roleplay my games, it can give me more fun. I get a faction leader, examine the traits, and decide what he might do. It's pretty fun, at times, especially since the odds of winning are higher if you don't have the perfect plan, and only do what the leader "wants" to do.

In my current campaign, Dacia has one region left, which will fall within three turns. After that, the army, lead by Madyes the Conquerer (I pulled him out of some town in the east. A rebel town, I conquered, and trained some peasants. Captain Madyes was ejected from the town, along with two other peasant armies. They went back at the town, three peasants against five, and surprisingly, they won. I adopted Madyes then, and sent him west, to assist against the Macedonians. He's been with me through my campaign against the Macedonians, The Greeks, and the Dacians. Next, the Romans. ), will pull south and defend against the two stack of Romans on the way already (diplomat saw them). I'm out of money for bribing, the Carthaginians have blocked all my ports, and I have no ships. Egypt is still being swallowed by the S.E. In Pontus' territory, I wage a continual, slow war against Pontus, with but a half-stack. Pontus keeps putlling scythed and missile chariots out of his ass, and HAs aren't good against chariots. We've taken two of Pontus' cities, but the situation is grim for them, as all of my possible reinforcements are in the half-stack, and they are besieged. Hope lies on the horizen, however. I have trained six cataphracts, and six NHAs in the north, and they are on their way, by boat (the large sea in the middle of Eurasia, that is not connected to the ocean) to Armenia, my allies, where they will collect mercenaries along the way to smash Pontus from the behind.

In the far east, Partatua, the King, wages a war against the remaining rebels, and their elephants. Three rebel strongholds remain.

In Britain, I have captured three cities, and two remain in British control. Hibernia is mine.

Themiskyra is mine, after a relatively easy battle (they weren't scythed chariots).

Germania collects on the border, and I worry. My nation may have stretched too far, too fast, as I lack the resources or manpower to defend all sides. S.E. has cancelled their alliance, and may soon attack. Parthia continually attacks one city and then retreats. Parthia will be gone soon, surrounded by Armenia and the S.E.

My game is going way slower, it seems. Well I don't have as much time to play as you people, sigh... In my game I'm clear all the way into Gaul, where Alesia and Lugdunum make a huge bulge, in France, and Samarobriva and Massilia are about to fall. The British have been badly weakened after I bribed so many of their armies away from them, while I have in Massilia trapped their largest army, which I will kill if they sally. The next turn will be quite a cool one, because I will break the Julii's, Brutii's, Greeks', Seleucids', Gauls' and Pontus' final great armies at one blow. In that same blow, too, Segesta, Tarentum, Massilia, Samarobriva, Ancyra, Mazaka, Seleucia and Rhodes will fall to me. I don't believe I've had such a busy turn before. Egypt... I'm thinking of modding the Tuthmosis troops to lower their armour. Especially the desert axemen and the chariots :-P I have no mood to go against people with iron skin. If they meant for them to have lots of armour, they should have given them armour.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Just a remark:

I have a constant stream of peasants from my Scythian homeland to my new Greek production facilities. This reduces the problems of unhappiness in the east and makes my new towns more Scythian. It gives me the options to produce more troops in the south.

I promise the peasants that they get the change to be trained as noble archers or lancers and they are happy with that. I do not tell them that they are the replacement for the desastreous losses I had in former battles.

Until now about 2,000 peasants were relocated and trained.

One question:
    I hear everybody telling that he bribed armies.
    I never do it. In the beginning I do not have enough money, in the midgame I do not need it.
    From a ethnic point of view: Is it right for a Scythian noble man to give the enemies gold when he can get the same with giving them steel?

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Especially the desert axemen and the chariots :-P I have no mood to go against people with iron skin. If they meant for them to have lots of armour, they should have given them armour.
    The whole iron skin thing - British/Gallic Swordsmen (NOT Chosen Swordsmen) have an armour bonus and they wear no armour. It's really annoying about how everyone moans about Desert Axemen.

right, the swordsmen are going down too. XD

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I've finally lost patience. I don't have the time to conquer the world with Scythia, I'llk just get my 50 provinces, Rome, and run off to Greece. At the rate I'm going I don't know how long it's going to take me to destroy the rest of them factions. Franconicus, IliaDN, ready for Greece yet?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Just write when you rea ready!
    P.S. Francononicus, for me the main point in bribing is that I really don't have enough patience to kill all those rebels or just normal enemy armies by myself(in auto-combat I take too many casualities on VH/VH).

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    I've finally lost patience. I don't have the time to conquer the world with Scythia, I'llk just get my 50 provinces, Rome, and run off to Greece. At the rate I'm going I don't know how long it's going to take me to destroy the rest of them factions. Franconicus, IliaDN, ready for Greece yet?
    Wow! You really had a plan about conquering all the world with Scythia?!!
    Man, your morale is soo much better than mine!
    Have to admit that I only have completed one campaign...

Anyway, perhaps Scythia will be my second?
    I`m doing some quick progress and hope to invade Italy via Venetia; allready have Pannonia.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

One thing about conquring oicumena - examine Armenia thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Wow! You really had a plan about conquering all the world with Scythia?!!
    Man, your morale is soo much better than mine!
    Have to admit that I only have completed one campaign...

Anyway, perhaps Scythia will be my second?
    I`m doing some quick progress and hope to invade Italy via Venetia; allready have Pannonia.

I had a grand plan to conquer Egypt with 3 armies attacking from 3 different directions, it's a grand plan, but it would have required at least another 10 turns. Oh well. Scrap Egypt. Believe it or not Egypt is the only faction I have not yet faced in open battle.

Franconicus, IliaDN, Craterus! Go play Greeks! I've just started Turn 1. Switching to the Greek thread from now on. This is Pezhetairoi, signing out from Scythia.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Damn it! I might just quit my Scythian campaign, I've lost interest. Although cav is my expertise (sp??), I just came out of an Egyptian campaign where I always used chariot archers, for every battle. 2 straight campaigns of mounted missiles, how boring. I'm going to go start Parthia. JOKE!

To Greece!!!! I'm a crap phalanx commander, but I'll have to learn at some point.

Hm.
    pezhetairoi is gone, Craterus is gone and IliaDN is gone at any moment.

I guess I have to look for new recruits to this thread

But hey, those HAs are handy! It will take a time before I can unlearn my scythian tactics and standards.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

It'll take me a while to tune out of HA mode. It'll take time to learn hoplite mode and even longer to tune in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Hm.
    pezhetairoi is gone, Craterus is gone and IliaDN is gone at any moment.

I guess I have to look for new recruits to this thread

But hey, those HAs are handy! It will take a time before I can unlearn my scythian tactics and standards.
    It's quite a jarring difference, I'm learning now. From an all-cavalry army to an army where I only have ONE cavalry unit, oh maaaan I'm starting to miss Scythia already XD But nope, my passion always lay in compact ranks of men marching forward with long pointy sticks.

I'm still here, in case anyone needs strategies ;-) But now Ilia, Franc and Craterus are going to help me make the Greek thread a thread to rival this one in length! ^_^ Craterus, good luck learning hoplite tactics! And, well, the only thing I think you should know is that when fighting with your starter armies, form them deep. There's the risk of being outflanked, but given the AI's general stupidity it's the only way your Militia hoplites are going to be able to counter the enemy general's frontal charges.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

hi
    The Germans kept attacking me like crazy and I can't hold them off much longer!
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybastard
    hi
    The Germans kept attacking me like crazy and I can't hold them off much longer!
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The same happened to me. What province is it that they want? If it isn't one of your main ones, I'd advise ditching it and retreating to regroup.

P.S. Welcome to the org

Default Wtf??

HA are really difficult to control for some reason. Sure, they make good raining-arrows-down-and-beat-the-living-sh*t-out-of-the-enemy troops, but once they are being chase around by enemy cavalry, they just lose it.
    Some pointerson as how this happens!?

Just try to control HA yourself!

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Turn skirmish mode OFF if you want to control where they are going.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Yeah, I get annoyed with horse archers because if they are being charged, sometimes they don't even bother to run away and they charge back.

I purposely overwrited my Scythian game with my Macedon game.

See my later post.
    Last edited by Craterus; 05-15-2005 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    I accidentally overwrited my Scythian game with my Macedon game.
    I just overwrote my Seleucid game with my Scythian.

Dammit! I was so close to victory, only needed a rest..
    So when I now quit my scythian campaign game, I`ll make sure I have a backup.

This happens to everybody, CA should have done something with it!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I think they relied on people not to do such stupid things although I'm sure everyone has accidentally overwritten a game.

Well, to be honest, I haven't. I purposely overwrote my Scythian game because I prefer to only have one campaign going on at a time.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

I have a habit of saving my games in multiple numbered files (for example: Seleucids001, Seleucids002, Seleucids003 and so on) so that if I accidentally overwrite a file, it'll probably only set me back a few turns.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

I have folders in My Documents titled 'Julii', 'Brutii', Scythia', etc. These are the old campaign saves I've played. The gamesave folder only contains saves of the current campaign I'm playing, and I save at the end of every turn, so I have Turns 1 to 60+ in unbroken order. Added to the fact that I keep my actions recorded in my notebook, even if I'm set back a turn or so it won't be any loss at all :-D I can recreate the game just as it is.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

wow, pez is really hardcore.

I just save the games with a suffix for faction and then year number. For example, Jul269 would be Julii in 269 BC. I add an 'a' to indicate winter.

Anyhow, for Scythia, always micro a few units of noble cavalry or HHMs around and actively intercept the enemy cav before they even come close to hitting your HAs.

I typically let the HAs stay on skirmish and make my melee cav actively hunt the enemy melee cav with the first opening I can get

...y'know I jus realised, I've never built a unit of HHM in my Scythian campaign, nor have I ever seen the option for Scythian noblewomen? ...wow.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast