Thread: Ballista tactics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ballista tactics

Just wondered if anyone has more success than me with anti-infantry/cavalry ballista? I find they get overrun very easily and don't do a great deal of damage before they do. I'm sure I'm just setting them up in the wrong place but any advice would be welcome.

I found placing artillery in Nap TW pretty easy, the cannisters went between 2 units of line infantry, each covering the other. It worked a treat from a defensive position. However trying the same in RTW just doesn't yield anywhere near the same results.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    Centurion: 'What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?
    Brian: 'It-- it says, 'Romans, go home'.'
    Centurion: 'No, it doesn't. What's Latin for 'Roman'? Come on!..........

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Default Re: Ballista tactics

I've used the repeating ballistae between units of my defensive line quite effectively. The trick is to micromanage what unit it's firing at and focus on anything that looks like it will attack the ballistae unit itself. Often the attack will break up before it comes too near the 'guns' but I also try to keep arcani or gladiators behind (just in case).
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

So you're saying you have a fast, hard heavy infantry unit as close support? That makes sense. I'd previously used them as flanking, shock troops but maybe holding them back as cover might be an idea.

Cheers dude.
    Centurion: 'What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?
    Brian: 'It-- it says, 'Romans, go home'.'
    Centurion: 'No, it doesn't. What's Latin for 'Roman'? Come on!..........

I only use ballistas and other siege weapons on attacks. That way, i can punush the enemy for holding their ground. In defence, theyre much less useful.
    forums.clankiller.com
    "Ive played 7 major campaigns and never finished one. I get tired of war."

Quote Originally Posted by qmark
    So you're saying you have a fast, hard heavy infantry unit as close support? That makes sense. I'd previously used them as flanking, shock troops but maybe holding them back as cover might be an idea.

Cheers dude.
    Two sets of ballistae, out wide, firing in on the main battle.

ie.

**______________________________**
    _________MAIN BATTLE LINE__________

With a unit of support for them. That way if they don't send anything in to attack the ballistae, you can flank them anyway.

I put them in line with my hastati/princepes and back them with velites. As the enemy advances they get larger morale hits until they run (usually at about 3m from my line).

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Was playing RTR 5.2, I had an army slaughtering people at a bridge (as one does). The Romans eventually fielded an army with ballistas. I now have had to change my tactics completely. The first time, the AI completely mauled my troops with ballista fire.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qmark

Cheers dude.
    The fact that they are a small units helps too. They dont take forever to move through the balistae crew.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

In my roman standard legion I use an artilleristic support unit of
    2 scorpions: long ranged support weapon for early openig fire
    2 modern ballistae : short ranged support where the heat is on
    1 or 2 onager/heavy onager

this artillery department is used on one flank, massed and not split up.
    I always concentrate fire, the onagers in infantry masses, the scorpions on specific targets ( other archers, cavalery, generals....), the rep. ballistae giving close support before engaging to brake up infantry masses.
    especially against rebels or other underdeveloped armies artillery can be decisive before the battle( close combat) even has begone.
    even at the end of the game scorpions where quite useful because of there long range, which compensates the lower firing rate very well in my opinion.