Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Style?

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default What's Your Style?

Ok here's the scenario: You are going on a blind date, and all you know about your date is that s/he is very attractive, according to trusted friends. Your friends have encouraged you to "be your best," as this one's not one to let get away. Assume you are single and interested, and that your friends are not playing a practical joke on you. The date setting will be dinner at a nice downtown retaurant, where attire ranges from casual to semi-formal, dependent on individual taste. There are dance clubs nearby. The cuisine is international, with a wide range of purportedly excellent food at prices slightly on the high side. You are told that the date has seen you around and has a general idea of what you're like in your day-to-day routine. It is winnter time (fairly cold outside), but it is expected to be clear (no rain, snow etc.).

What would you wear to the date? Include details about pants, dress/skirt, shirt, jacket, overcoat, shoes, tie, hat and accessories like belt, jewelry, and watch (assuming you would wear any/all of these things). Describe colors, and fabric types and textures if warranted. If you are partial to brands, describe the brand. Try and paint a clear picture for your readers, describing your outfit in as much detail as possible. If you can, include a rationale as to why you chose this outfit.
    Last edited by Togakure; 03-24-2005 at 18:34. Reason: added dress/skirt ... sorry ladies
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Re: What's Your Style?

This is a difficult task Toga. I tried my best though and this is what I found:
    First you need underwear:

A sleeveless undershirt:

A shirt:

Black pants:

A pair of slick shoes:

A nice blazer to top it all off, and so you don't freeze when you're outside:

Ooh and don't forget your credit cards.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Blind dates in fancy restaurants aren't exactly what student life is all about (it might be if we could afford it though).

I'd wear my nicest normal clothes (not a suit), black jeans, black shoes, brown or grey woolen sweater, probably a black shirt underneath.

I might wear my trenchcoat since that's the only thing resembling a 'fancy' jacket that I have
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

I'd wear Chuck's (a snicker shoe, black) a worn leather jacked (red inside) a pair of khaky / green trousers, black underpans. I would wear a black tshirt and a striped shirt white / red / stripes it would be open in front.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Wow BP I wasn't expecting images and all--talk about going above and beyond the call of duty. I wasn't really counting underwear, but I guess in reality it could turn out to be a rather important part of the outfit should the date go exceptionally well, hehe.

The restaurant theoretically is not fancy--over here there are places that are very nice but have casual dress codes, so you can dress anywhere from t-shirt and jeans to suits. I figured some would choose to dress very casually despite the setting and occasion because that's just their style, and that's totally cool. I thought it would be interesting to see the scope of style between the various ages and locations of the patrons here--give a bit of insight into how styles vary by location, general age, and personality.

No need to be shy or try to impress folks--that's not the point. If you can, just imagine yourself in these circumstances and describe your style. I also figured there'd be a few clowns in the group ... make us laugh .

I'll do mine in a bit.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Weeeeell, I only have one pair of pants (the other has a hole in the seat. Not an appropriate choice methinks ) , only one sweatshirt, and only one pair of shoes. Not much of a clothing connoisseur.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Weeeeell, I only have one pair of pants (the other has a hole in the seat. Not an appropriate choice methinks ) , only one sweatshirt, and only one pair of shoes. Not much of a clothing connoisseur.
    Heh, same. I have one pair of trousers, one pair of shoes and no sweatshirts-I just wear my jacket if it's cold. So the only decision would be which of my tye-dye T-shirts to wear...I think I'd go with my Dark Side of the Moon one...
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Casual outdoor jacket. Casual pants. Casual shirt (Probably a t-shirt. I hate all other shirts). Clean undies and socks. Clean work boots. No tie. (I only wear ties to funerals for people I don't like.) Dinner toolbelt; small knife and micro-Maglight flashlight in a very discreet belt pouch.

I am who I is. Fancy I ain't.

Besides. It ain't da clothes - it's da man inside da clothes.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    ... (I only wear ties to funerals for people I don't like.) ... .
    ROFLMAO! That had me crackin' up but good ... .

And "Amen" to the last.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Wouldn't dress up specially - I'd wear what I normally wear. Last night, for instance, black trousers, black t-shirt, pink button-up shirt, black semi-formal shoes, a black cashmere coat. Oh, and lime green boxers.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Guys, you always wear a tie to a date; all women love it, they love it even more if you loosen it later on, and what they love most of all is that they can pull it off once the two of you are past the, um, formalities.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

The thing is I like to dress nice line with a cool suit and a tie and expensive shoes. Unfortunatly I feel out of place when i do it because Im only 18 and no one else I know does that casually . Oh well i'll grow eventually and then i can really get into it. So far i only have one suit(one was stolen by my little brother ).

If the date is semi-casual as you said then a blazer with a cool designer shirt are a nice combination. Never wear sport's shoes on a date! Always pick you finest leather boots or shoes even if you're just wearing jeans. No woman wants to stare down at some bummy shoes. I'm starting to feel liek queer eye on the straight guy so Im gonna continue by request.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

-
    The restaurant would be my uncle's, so budget is no matter. Knowing that she already knew about me, I wouldn't be hard on my clothing. It would be my usual thing (sweater, pants, jacket + the 13 year old coat) but clean and fresh. I might trim my beard and have a light haircut maybe, maybe not.
    -
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Band t-shirt, jeans, casual jacket.

I'd probably attempt to be more formal, but short of wearing my 'droog-style' bowler hat, that's the best i could manage (Largely due to the fact that's all i own...).
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    Guys, you always wear a tie to a date; all women love it, they love it even more if you loosen it later on, and what they love most of all is that they can pull it off once the two of you are past the, um, formalities.
    Hmmmmmm. You have a point. But I just hate them anyway. They're a total anachronism.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I would have my nicer but not nice grey pants on, I have two pairs. One has fewer pockets, so it is nicer I guess. I would have on a T-shirt, not one of the ones with holes or stains, I have no idea which one, I don't really pay much attention. I would have my normal Merril half boot type sneaker things on. Very comfy, very waterproof and my only pair of shoes. No hat. I would have my regular battered Timex watch. A worn brown belt. My black fleece jacket, probably covered in dog hair, but I wouldn't wear it while eating. Probably grey socks. I don't remember requiring any other type of clothing....
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Blind date? First look? She'll be wearing her best, therefore so will I.

Winter in the N.Hemisphere = wool. She'll likely go with wool slacks, probably grey-ish, so as to not detract from her top, which will frame/present her face - color and texture complimentary to her complexion. Best guess: a pastel loose turtleneck. Pink, sky blue, soft green...that kind of thing. The message being: "I am desireable, but unattainable if you're an idiot.".

So my clothes should accent hers, and show off my 'knows-how-the-world works'-ness. From the top: no hat. Tweed blazer over a lightweight wool dark-colored turtleneck (hint: always go turtleneck when wearing a tie is questionable). Sensible (no more than 2 inches wide) belt holding up charcoal-grey wool trousers, which hide boxer shorts of your choice, and socks that match or compliment your shirt color. Clean, freshly-polished footwear (black, in this case).

Realize that her apprehension of you will be: eyes, mouth, shoulders & arms, waist, feet - in that order. That is: in the first 30 seconds. After that she'll concentrate on eyes and mouth. So wash well, shave, brush, etc. You know: groom.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I avoid eating on a first date. I get nervous and get an indigestion.
    You'll do fine with her at dinner because I think you're not nervous. Anyway, I would try to meet her where I am most comfortable. Her first impression of you is the most important.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Wow Kukri you thought about that a lot...
    I would probably not go out on a blind date so I did not think too much about it.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Hear, here ... words of wisdom from Kukrikhan-san.

Since I started this thread I guess I should elaborate with some detail, so here goes:

In situations like these, I try to balance illiciting a favorable response from my date with putting the "real me" forward. The occasion is as much an 'intel-gathering' event for me as it is for my date. I prefer a bold and fiery personality, secure in who they are and what they like, but who are, at the same time, open-minded and adventurous. Self-centered, quick-to-judge people have never been my thing. I'm interested in partnerships, not a "princess" to pamper (many women over here seem to think that the world revolves around them ... not my type).

My style reflects my personality--a blend of refinement and rough edges, sophistication and simplicity, boldness and subtlety. I tend to favor understated "timeless classic" style over showy, trendy fashion. I like to present a combination of "class" meets "street." I save my more formal, dressier presentation for the second date. The first is a bit of a test of character, to assess the reaction of my prospective partner.

For starters there's the jacket. I'll usually spend some money here. My favorite is a black wool blazer with a subtle, complex texture, single-breasted Italian cut. I've found some great specialty shops in the Union Square area of San Francisco that carry very fine Italian-made suits and sport coats, which you can get for great prices if you dicker. I'm not very good at bartering, but I have a Vietnamese friend who is a master; he can take a $1500 sticker price and finagle (sp?) the proprietor down to $300-400 dollars (I have to leave and go get coffee; it gets really intense). The quality and attention to detail is vastly superior to what you'd find at a Macy's or Nordstrom's for the same price.

Next would be a Merino wool sweater, also black, with a plain texture (so as not to distract from the texture in my jacket) and "mock" turtleneck (full turtlenecks have always invoked a 60's-70's reaction for me ... I wear them only in the dead of winter).

Next would be a pair of clean, wrinkle-free blue jeans (yep, blue jeans) that are not quite new but that don't have any holes, wear-spots or danglies yet (I love jeans with all of the aforementioned, but not on an early date), relaxed fit and tapered in the leg (boot cut). I like Levi and Gap jeans. Around my waist (at hip level, not too high, but not down around my ass either), a slim (1-1.5 inch) black leather belt with no texture and a very simple silver buckle.

Shoes: Here's another place where I will spend money. I'm about 5'8" tall, and I've always had this thing for boots (a bit of the "street" in me, along with the love of jeans). Over the years I tried a lot of different kinds, and finally settled on Lucchese boots, hand-made in Texas. They make some very fine boots, imo. The style I like aren't really "cowboy,"--they look more like a cross between Bono's English riding-style boots and policeware, plain with no fancy stitching or designs on them. Black, and kept immaculately polished, the toes are tapered but not pointed. I appear to be a couple of inches taller in them, and they make a nice heavy sound when I walk. Women have commented that they liked the way a man's hips move when they walk in boots, and the way they tend to kilter when standing still. I've taken these comments to heart. Walk nice and slow though--you tend to look (and sound) silly in them if you're hurrying around.

Underwear: black CK boxer-briefs (no buttons), black t-shirt, black boot socks. Maybe some impish humor in the socks with color accents or patterns or both (but it's not seen unless I take my boots off so ...).

Accessories: My first true love back in the 80's gave me a small gold pirate hoop earring. I never took it out for years after, and when I lost it down the shower drain, I immediately replaced it with an identical one. I still wear it to this day, to honor her (of course I don't tell my dates that). My watch is stainless steel and gold with a black face. It's modern style reflects my "techie" facet. A watch is a man's most significant piece of "jewelry" imo, so I spent some money here--Omega makes some very fine watches. I used to wear an extremely narrow gold band ring on my left hand's middle finger, which had a black enamel stripe running down its center (it was a traditional Hawaiian engagement ring, for those who are familiar with such things). I lost it somewhere, and haven't replaced it yet. But I probably will someday.

I have a pair of rectangular Armani glasses, but tend to use contact lenses so I can wear my shades when I'm out and about. I have a lot of shades, but for the date I'd probably wear my rectangular black metal Revos with the icy blue reflective lenses. Of course, they come off when the sun goes down--I always thought guys who wear their sunglasses at night looked pretty silly (anyone remember Cory Heart? We did that silly song ...). I'd wear my regular glasses on the second date, when I suit up and take her to an elegant restaurant and a fine cultural event.

Every woman I've ever dated, without exception, has commented that they like the classic Armani cologne/deoderant that I wear when I go out. Nowadays it's the only thing I use. Why mess with what works?

If it's cold, I'll top this all off with my long and heavy Nino Cerruti topcoat and a pair of very tight, thin leather gloves (like the cops wear). Unless I'm coming directy from work, I'd leave my gunmetal gray, Zero-Halliburton aluminium attache at home. A fresh haircut, trimmed nails, moustache and goatee are automatic.

I'd definitely try and get her to come dancing with me after dinner, as I love to dance, and I learn so much about them, watching them dance. Plus I get to show off a bit ... I've been told I'm not a stereotypical "white boy" in this respect. Shake it, baby!

Before I step out the door I center myself and summon up the "little devil" in me that has, in the past, both charmed and alarmed my first dates. Will they dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? Hehe ... Vamenos--let's find out!
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

i would wear black jeans with a black button-up shirt, or i have this nice long-sleeve black shirt that looks great with black jeans!
    i don't really have any fancy shoes, so i guess i'd wear my b-ball shoes lol!
    you can't beat CK boxers and white socks is cool!

Some interesting answers here.

I would probably go for Black boots, ankle type not cowboy boots unless you want to be ridiculed, dark blue jeans and either a black shirt with a silver pin stripe (no jacket) or a white shirt and suit jacket, the shirt has to be untucked and with the top collar button and the cuffs undone. I'm not a big fan of shaving and usually have stubble (I look quite young when cleanshaven) and I would be wearing a black strapped and dialed watch and my lucky jade pendant. Obviously if this was a date I would take my wedding ring off

From the top: no hat. Tweed blazer over a lightweight wool dark-colored turtleneck (hint: always go turtleneck when wearing a tie is questionable)
    Really wouldn't work here I'm afraid, we call them polonecks and they are pretty much the domain of the Hooray Henry's. And white socks is only cool with trainers and then only if they are the ankle sports type. Socks and sandals should never be worn, in fact, the only time sandals are acceptable is on holiday when you wear flip flops to the beach (I'm not a foot person).

Of course all his is only my opinion and I'm not exactly a fashion guru.

edit: One pair of pants? What do you do when they are in the wash?

Hehe, got a good chuckle over the wedding ring thing .

Ridicule only bothers me when it emanates from someone worthy of respect. If it's coming from twerps makin' fun of my boots well, whatever. We tend to think kilts are pretty silly over here, so I understand.

Um, I've not heard of Hooray Henry's ... who are they?

I was wondering about the one pair of pants thing too, but was afraid to ask ... .
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Conspicuously Inconspicuous Member makkyo's Avatar

You make yourself sound so very enchanting.
    I were a girl I'd melt right in front of you.
    "And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those who might profit from the new. This lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men, who do not truly believe in new things unless they have personal experience in them."
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

White or similar white color Silk Shirt (or that silk hawiian I have, blue, its nice)
    Black dress slacks
    Black leather shoes polished till you can see that tiny scar in your hairline in their reflection
    Black socks
    and if suitable with the shirt, a black blazer.
    And maybe a fadora if I can find a half decent one.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

oh, and my gold fiagro cross necklace, my Esq Watch, and my gold fiagaro bracelet, my regular jewlry. If ya give me enough time to get my pinkey ring fixed (diamonds reset), I'd wear that to, right hand.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Quote Originally Posted by TogakureOjonin
    Hehe, got a good chuckle over the wedding ring thing .

Ridicule only bothers me when it emanates from someone worthy of respect. If it's coming from twerps makin' fun of my boots well, whatever. We tend to think kilts are pretty silly over here, so I understand.

Um, I've not heard of Hooray Henry's ... who are they?

I was wondering about the one pair of pants thing too, but was afraid to ask ... .
    Fair point, kilts aren't really a date king of clothing, and different places have different styles.

Hooray Henry's are the little rich kids who's daddies own half of the county. They call each other darling, that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by makkyo
    You make yourself sound so very enchanting.
    I were a girl I'd melt right in front of you.
    Heh, well if you were addressing me, my attempts to "enchant" a while back didn't go over too well. Dinner was fine, but after our first dance at a nearby club, my date asked if I liked the way she danced. I grinned my impish grin and said I thought she danced very nicely for a white girl :p. Of all the nerve, she tipped her drink in my lap and stormed off. Gah ... women. Oh well, there were plenty of nice gals in the club that evening so I still had fun. You win some, you lose some. Next time I'll remember to take a Twix candy bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'Chayra
    Fair point, kilts aren't really a date king of clothing, and different places have different styles. ...
    When I re-read my post I realized that it might be construed that I was referring to you as a twerp ... that was not my intention at all. I hope you didn't take it that way. If so, please accept my apologies for not paying closer attention to what I wrote.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Just take here to a nice restaurant and let her do the talking, she will see it as a good consvervation. After that, make sure you don't wear your socks.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Just take here to a nice restaurant and let her do the talking, she will see it as a good consvervation. After that, make sure you don't wear your socks.
    Good point. I've seen some very disturbing statistics about people having sex with their socks on, the lights out, sweaty sheets and covers drawn over them. Yuk! Think of the impression it makes on the kids when they accidentally walk in.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast