Thread: Iberian Infantry

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Default Iberian Infantry

Just read something in an old Osprey "Men-at-Arms" book on the Punic Wars. It says the Iberian swordsman's fighting style "verged on the acrobatic, and his caetra and falcata made him more than the equal of any Roman legionary in a straight sword fight."

I'm thinking an attack of 8-9, defensive skill of 8 and morale of 6 might be appropriate - any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Iberian Infantry

If it's in accordance with history, I say go for it. However, remember that Iberian infantry are available rather early, and if you make them too good, it can make the game unbalanced.

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Thanks for the response. I think 8/8/6 should keep things in balance. Only +1 attack compared to hastati, and the total defence is still 4 points lower due to the lack of body armour and small shield. At least they won't get trashed immediately, as they seem to at present.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

If you want an Iberian unit to go toe to toe with legionaries (or at least the pre-marius ones), that's what the Scutarii/Spanish Mercernaries are there for. Unfortunately Carthage can't train them by default, although there is a texture already made for them so it's not too difficult to add them (although you have to make your own unit card pics).

I don't mind the actual Iberian infantry unit being weak, although I've lowered their upkeep to compensate for their lack of ability.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.