Thread: RTR v. SPQR mod

Default RTR v. SPQR mod

i was wondering what one people prefer, such as pros and cons of each?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: RTR v. SPQR mod

For me, both mods arent my cup of tea. As such, I'll only divulge the cons.

SPQR, for some unknown reason, made the defense stat of all units ungodly (50 for Triarii), which makes auto-calc worthless, and misc other things that make the game unenjoyable. The main thing I dislike is all three Roman factions are the same color, so when civil war comes around, you are going to have a headache trying to figure out which province belongs to whom without looking at each province town's flag.

RTR Is a bit better, but not by much. The game starts in 300BC, with only one Roman faction (plus the Senate), but they have very few towns to start with, and a good sized army of Greeks is right next door in Naples. The primary thing I dislike is the reduction of marching speed in combat. It gets bad enough that I have to break out a book while waiting for some action in vanilla, it's worse when I finish said book in RTR.

Those are my opinions. They each have their own advantages (SPQR: Sword Hoplites, finally a Greek unit you can use to defend walls! RTR: LOTS of new scenario battles) and disadvantages (see above), but to me, vanilla is much a much better flavor than strawberry or chocolate.

I like RTR better, but SPQR is also pretty good.

Ive noticed that RTR is much more slow paced than SPQR, in RTR you spend alot of time building and upgrading troops. In SPQR there is no build time for troops, so you can dish out troops by the hundreds in one turn provideded you have enough gold. On the battlefield SPQR normally has huge armies in the later stages of the game.

In the end RTR = Slow, less combat oriented and SPQR = fast heavy combat oriented.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

You can have both of them by following some simple instructions available here. I don't know the link, though. The way I do it is just making 2 data files (preferably 3, with one being 1.2) in the Rome folder. One called SPQR, the other RTR, and the last 1.2 (or anything you like) When you want to play any mod or 1.2, just name that folder "Data" and enter the game.

I play with SPQR now, and like it very much. Far more bigger battles, and also longer. Unit defences are adjusted around 40 or so, and this enables the combat lasts very long. At least enemy units don't rout in a few seconds. Once I was attacking enemy city, my hoplite and enemy's hoplite locked each and fought so long that I have to find other route in order to get to city center and surround the enemy hoplite.
    0-recruit time, combined with AI's economical advantage in H/VH campaign, makes AI army much bigger and far more frequent. This makes earlier campaign very challenging.
    Additional cool units and new skins.

Cons...mid/late campaigns somewhat boring, unchallenging. You have huge money/population, with this you can build huge army in just one turn. Loss of entire army doesn't seem too much disaster. Self restraint required(like not recruiting army from conquered city in several years).

As for RTR, I don't have much to say. Just I don't like longer build time, and too much *realism* things(like quarry to build stone walls). But ZoR(Zone of recruit?) is good idea.

Personally, it will be good if SPQR with ZoR.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

RTR is much better, i know this cos i havnt played SPQR joke. anyways all ive heard about SPQR makes it kinda sound like a kids game, whereas rtr is just more realistic, the combat is fixed, so your units dont rout after 5 seconds of combat, also your map starting postions are more accurate, and as for that big greek army next to the small roman republic, that guys name is Pyrhus, king of eppirus. he invaded italy about this time and caused the young, small roman republic a few headaches. Anyways im eagerly looking forward to the EB mod
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Last time I checked, neither had historical unit sizes. Is this still the case? Centuries should be eighty men plus officers, and turmae (the cavalry equivalent of a century) should be thirty two men (I believe equites were thirty men each, though).

i think i'll wait for EB instead of downloading either of these two...

That sounds like sage advice.

You know there's no upper limit of the number of mods you can download, right?

I downloaded and played both over the course of this weekend (and I'll most likely play EB as well when it's released) so there's no real reason why you need comment from a position of ignorance of one (or both) mods.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

SPQR gets my vote although I dislike the fact that you have to play with huge unit size. I prefer the large unit size.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

You have to play on huge? That's annoying, I prefer large unit size.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

You can play SPQR on large.

SPQR is insane. One turn I'm sitting in Sicily (as Scipii) just minding my own business when *bam* large Carthaginian armies of high experiance start knocking on my door. The battles are crazy too, because the AI is smarter than Vanilla. Good God, they even tried to flank me with cavalry on the flanks once! I was astounded!

RTR has more interesting units, I think, and I do like the pace a little more. I think I'll try RTR 6.0, it sounds spiffy.

But I can't wait for EB. SPQR and RTR will never be more than fixes while I wait for hardcore historical accuracy.

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

You'll find many devoted fans of each, and each appeals to different people. If realism is what you look for in a mod, then certainly you'll want RTR (or EB, but that's not out yet); beyond that, it's a matter of taste. I advise you to try both and see which one you like.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer