Thread: Bribery Idea

Default Bribery Idea

Ok if any one has already done this please let me know if not here goes.
    I remember getting all excited when RTW was going to come out thinking about all the cewl stuff including sending out my diplomat and bribing some poor SOB's army then turning it back on its former master.

But i was sorely dissapointed when it became apparant that when u bribe an army you only get to keep those units that your faction can own. I was wondering hwo to go about changin this and it came to me that all i had to do is change it so that each faction can own each unit lol. This is a MAMMOTH TASK as u would expect which is y for testing reasons i only changed a couple of units. u see in my greek campaign everyone is dead except me and the brits and a few others so i tweaked a few british units to be avaliable to the greeks only in export_descr_unit.txt. this means that the greeks can have british units but cannot train them and i had complete success.

i bribed a small british army and ended up with a new family member 2 units of warband and a unit of british light chariots. they even kept their faction colours.

as far as i can tell there is only a few problems with this idea being
    1. it effects multiplayer ie the greeks can now use british units in MP
    2. some of the units dont have sprites when i zoomed out in battle my warband ceased to exist then when i zoomed in they came back...
    3. the shear size of a mod like this and the amount of work that would be done to make it possible is huge.
    4. the unit cards for the units are just peasants.

other than these small bugs this seems like a good idea so please give me some feedback on wot u guys think and if it has been already done let me know...cheers
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Default Re: Bribery Idea

oh and by the way incase anyone doesnt believe me i tooks some screenies so please will someone tell me how to post my screenies. p.s. sorry bout the double post

read this post
    go ahead .. nice idea and I feel it is graet .
    Sas_Legion

Sas_Legion

You could just copy+paste every unit card into one folder, then duplicate it, and rename for each faction...That sorta solve the unit card problem...

well for those of u who wanted proof here goes nothing with the screenies lol
    i present my greek warband lol

also i dont think i will actually make a public version of this mod cos well i dont have the time to develope it and it wouldnt be compatable with everyones version ie some peeps want a RTR version others will want a SPQR version and others will just want a RTW V1.2 version so i think the best idea is just to let every one know this is possible and let peeps take it from there ie maybe this could be incorperated into the next version of RTR and SPQR

i think it is just a matter of creating the new text files and duplicating the unit cards... ill post my other ideas for this later i have quite a few as i wanted to do this to my own game

me like. I'll watch how the bug finding and fixing goes and I'll give my 2 cents where possible.

Serendipity in action. Read this: Rome Total ZOR mod.

The mod does all the export_descr_unit, descr_model_battle and unit card work you'll need.

Just make sure you retain your original export_descr_buildings file and use that in place of the one in the ZOR mod. The game should function the same as it always does, but you'll be able to bribe armies as you want (with perhaps the exception of peasants and a few slave only units). The mod will ensure that you have appropriate (though not always identical) skins and unit cards for the bribed units.

There's a solution to the Custom Battles issue in the first post in that thread as well.

Enjoy!
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

That's exactly what you have to do, make every faction own every unit.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

i like the zor mod, but i was thinking more along the lines of just making it so you could only get the units by bribery, it would just involve duplicating the unit cards, and making it so that every faction can own them.

the part about every faction owning them is just a simple find and replace task, but since there are so many entries it would take long

the unit cards are going to take so long to do, i was wondering if when i get the texts done i could use your unit card divisions if i give you guys credit if i ever publicly release it

thanks
    stichmaster1

If you install the ZOR mod _but_ you use your original export_descr_buildings file, then the game will run in just the same way as it did before, each faction could only build their own units in their cities. The only change would be that you would take control of any units you bribe.

All that the ZOR mod is made up of is:
    export_descr_buildings
    export_descr_unit
    descr_model_battle
    descr_regions
    and the unit cards.

You can junk the edb and the descr_regions if you want, but you'll need the dmb (some of the skins will break if you use the vanilla dmb).

Apart from using the vanilla edb in place of the ZOR edu I can't think what more you'd need, but...

...the reason I released it in the first place was to make life easier for other users to tailor their games or develop other mods. With all the donkey work that's involved it seemed silly that everyone who's developing a mod along these lines has to do it all themselves. So by all means tailor it, polish it and readjust it to your liking.
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

does that mean i can download your mod and borrow the unit cards? i just finished the e_d_u file and would like to see how it works!

i got it to work in game, but i need the unit cards for it to work right...

here is a pic

i downloaded the ZOR for the unit cards, but will not release my mini-mod until i have your permission to distribute them.

thanks
    stichmaster1

Go right ahead.

I've also got a file with the collected larger unit_info cards, I'm looking for space for it at the moment.

But, like I say, if you're using your own edu and dmb you'll have to review the skins that the models use on the battlefield when they're controlled by another faction and adjust the dmb until you're happy with them.

thanks richard, i suppose that can be an add on, since i currently dont have the space to host it. you will be thanked graciously in the readme!!

thanks
    stichmaster1

i posted the readme at scc at the following link;

http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...showtopic=7618

the download will be up shortly