Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The mod I'd love to see

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Default Re: The mod I'd love to see

I thought we were making our own factions and cultures rarther than transitioning existing nations onto a fantasy continent.

we are. we're just using existing ones as a base for our new cultures.

@Zharakov. Change Vinterland to Asgard?

What dose Asgard mean?

Isn't that from Stargate?
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

Smelo tovarishchi v' nogu!

I like Bush...

THIS LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

i think that is all, if you see anything that should be changed, say it

-1 Senate + 3 families (medieval?, roman?)
    House of Snagarak(more spanaird?), House of Duskweaver(french-ish?), House of Oakensheld((HRE style?)removed the 'I' so it didnt sound too this world), Grand Duke of Eldoras(british?)

-5 Eastern cultures (chinese, japanese, indian, mongols (should they be barbarians?), south east asian - vietnamese?)
    Xialong, Kuchinoro, Mugol, Tang Long, The Great Horde

-4 European (2 western-England/France/HRE, as these are pretty similar, Italians, Atlantian. And 2 eastern european-russian, byzantium)
    Fre'land, Sernland, Ludinburgh, Russcograd

-1 African (Nubia, Zulu, or Egypt?)
    Bomani

-2 Arabian (Turkish and Moors?)
    Yera, Sonna

-2 American (plains indians, Aztec/Mayan)
    Ana'sazi, Sinaugua

-2 barbarian (vikings, goths?)
    Asgard, Kuzneeta

-1 Brigands/Rebels
    Nomads
    edited a little bit to show new things
    Last edited by stichmaster1; 04-05-2005 at 01:18.

Asgard was the Viking pantheon of gods or something...it had to do with their religion.

As for the European factions, like I said earlier, we should remove one - Sernland to make room for the 'Elder' race, or the ones that are left. Also, change Fre'Land to Byzannia, for the Byzantines, as we have 4 European factions in the senate and 3 houses already.

so, we have a Russian - Russcogard, a Byzantine - Byzannia, an Italian - Sernland (though we should change it to Lombania?)

And we have the Grand Duke + 3 Houses...

If we use names close to the real thing in life people will realise, Byzannia is hardly the most innovative name ever and using the norse god as the name of a norse god is basically recreating our world on a new campaign

Ok sure, no problem

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Remember guys, start using the forums for discussion of this, rather than the org:

http://s10.invisionfree.com/Aetas_Total_War

I'll transfer all of this dialog to the Aetas forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Sorry, I was off on a short holiday for 4 days...

Hmm... ohh well, you don't appear to need me, since you have the campaign map planned, and the factions are done (although they are not entirely original). Couple of points I might add, though.

1. I had an idea for the nomads being an actual playable faction, which starts in a desert area with no cities, but a good amount of troops (mainly cavalry) and you had to conquer cities.

2. The factions shouldn't be based on nations of our world. perhaps slight aspects of our world can be taken into the factions, but not a replication of the faction
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Hurrah for some common sense from King Malcolm!!

2. The factions shouldn't be based on nations of our world. perhaps slight aspects of our world can be taken into the factions, but not a replication of the faction
    That's what i've been thinking, just reading over the last day's worth of posts. After all, didn't you people read the original post: just go super-creative! Make a unique world. :)

Hmm... ohh well, you don't appear to need me
    We still need you!! Don't say that!!!
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

yea, we still need you! i will probably need help with getting the map in game

i was thinking that we should develop our own cultures, maybe get a few people into a paintshop program and start drawing out buildings.

also some of the names should be changed a little, like sundjata said. i just compiled them into a list

The factions shouldn't be based on nations of our world. perhaps slight aspects of our world can be taken into the factions, but not a replication of the faction
    That is what I've been trying to say over my last two posts, this mod really does need a leader figure to compile all this together, at the moment there are two many contrasting views.

Sevalingrad will be the Byzantines.

The story I made for them explains how they were chased from the south to the north.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Okay, wince you begged, I will help...

Firstly, they will not be the Byzantines. Mainly because the name is too Russian, but also because the factions in the game SHOULDN'T BE BASED ON OUR WORLD! Perhaps having a hint of our world in them, say, an arab-like people, or raving loony barbarian French-like people, but not "Sevalingrad will be the Byzantines" : The same faction by another name.

They shouldn't have the same units (except simple units, like archers, and that), perhaps they can have a different culture, different names of people, different history, et cetera.
    Perhaps we can use real languages for things like cities and peoples, perhaps...

And not, for God's good and gracious sake, changing faction names. We need new, original factions, as the mighty Cheops declared, and he should be hailed as the King of the Project, even though he may not do anything with it, but simply because he inspired it. While someone else may be the Modder-in-Chief, he should be King.
    Last edited by Duke Malcolm; 04-05-2005 at 22:15.

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."

it seems to me that the creativity has gotten oout of hand, i cant keep track on all the ideas but sometime perhaps tomorow i will copy and paste all suggestions posted so far into one post...

I agree, I think we have all had the opposite of writers block (some sort of laxative for creativity)

I think we should go back to the old style of naming a faction and then describing who they are and NOT finding similarities between them and existing cultures.

eg. King Clas suggested a while back

Lycknisians
    Excellent ship builders. They live largly on fishing. Their navy is very versitile (many naval units ) and strong. Their land based units are mainly light infantry for quick deployment after landings at a shore. Their capital lies on a of shore small island. In fact the city dominated the entire island. The cities walls are truely epic.

Sonnians
    Rivals of Lycknisians, their navy is also strong althoe more focused on light ships for hit and run raids. Their land forces area also in a hit and run manner. They have developed a good force of hourse archers and light cavalry.

I think that's the kind of thing we should be aiming for.

thats kind of what i tried to do with my race, the kuzneeta, but nobody responded to that

Ok like kingclass said. Lets get all the faction names and such on one page so we can decide which we'll use.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

map with faction layouts, factions going in which spots can be decided later, same with colors

Wow! Nice map, here is a list of previous faction suggestions, there are a lot

T'alassie
    Culture: American
    Economic breakdown: Farming, silver mines, Iron mines
    Provinces: N/A
    Citys: N/A
    Seaports: N/A
    History: Originaly a collective of farms, they were forced to unify under one banner to help protect them selves during a time of war. They are now a major farming nation with a good standing army.

Eastern Factions

Aziz - the most powerful estern faction, has most of the rich provinces and quite a big army
    Daulah - also very rich but with weak army
    Nasr - focussed around military, newly formed so starts off quite weak but pottential to grow strong because of valuable resources
    Zufar - small army of well trained and highly skilled units

Southern Factions

Dia - strongest southern faction but quite undeveloped compared to other factions
    Diji - Nomadic farmers, poor and weak army but good morale because of determination and strong religion
    Bomani - Only a couple of provinces but heavily armed, situated near border with Western factions
    Yera - another nomadic faction
    Tupac - the starters of the rebellion because of terrible conditions, they are situated in harsh desert

Lycknisians
    Excellent ship builders. They live largly on fishing. Their navy is very versitile (many naval units ) and strong. Their land based units are mainly light infantry for quick deployment after landings at a shore. Their capital lies on a of shore small island. In fact the city dominated the entire island. The cities walls are truely epic.

Sonna Pirates
    Rivals of Lycknisians, their navy is also strong althoe more focused on light ships for hit and run raids. Their land forces area also in a hit and run manner. They have developed a good force of hourse archers and light cavalry.

West:
    Ana'sazi- Oldest and most powerful western faction
    Sernland- Nice army but only 1-2 provinces
    Vinterland- Vikings
    Fre'land- Good economy and army
    P'sorgrad-Northern invaders

North:
    Russcograd- Most powerful norther faction
    Sevalingrad- Good economy
    The White Horde- Mongolians
    Ludinburgh- undecided

Sernland:
    This people are proud people, their country is a young one. The time of slavery is still in living memory. About 60 years ago the people of Sernland where slaves under Aziz. However the Serns revolted and with the help of the Zufar. The Serns moved into out of their bondage. This has led to that Azis and Zufar see each other as mortal enemies. As the Serns reached west they where constantly raided by the Vinterland people. They asked Ana'sazi for help and help came. Sernland today make upp two cities on the mountain borders of Vinterland. The Serns could also be called Northern watchers. Their army service is voluntarily but enthusiasm for the army is strong.

Ludinburgh:
    Long time ago the northen empire Erom Htron fell apart. One of the emerging factions was the united cities confederation of Ellmid. But after yet some more years cities broke of and some joined other factions. Ohter started to try to take over other cities to create a empire of their own. A bitter and long civil war raged. Other factions also joined the battle. Ludinburh the eastern capital of the former Erom Htron. Did not join any other faction and nore did it become overran. They allied with Ple Kingdom. Ludinburgh has a large standing army for its size (one province) and its armoured pikemen are renowed as hard figthers as are their Citadel Guard (swordsmen both mounted and dismounted). Ludinburgh does however strong depts (not economical) to Ple Kingdom and is consider a protectorate of the Ple Kingdom. So when the great prince of Ple ( ) calls the soldiers of Ludinburgh are ready.

Russcograd: When the final King of the Great Northen Empire died, his 2 sons were given equal shares of land in the kingdom. Russcograd was givin to Alexi Rolotov. Russcograd quickly became the stronger of the 2 kingdoms and soon overtook the other kindom in a war. The people of Russcograd are tough and willing to serve ther Tzar. And they will need to for the Tzars of Russcograd are often ambitious and gloy seaking.

Ana'sazi: They are the people of the snake and horse. They live in mighty jungles, and barren deserts. They are the oldest of the new factions. They tell storys of the old world and they way things were. They are isolationists. And they olny favor the lucky few who they see as needing there favor. But this dose not mean they do not wage war.

P'sorgrad: Valdimir was banashed by his brother Alexi... But that dose not end his story. P'sorgrad was the final city to remaign loyal to him. Sadly it was to the south west in the warm lands. He fled ther and started to recreat his empire. He now has turned his eye to the south. To the rich land sof people who know not the use of the horse archer. And maybe, he can regain favor with his brother as well...

Fre'land: A nation of rich farmers, they keep one ideal sacred above all ells. Freedom. There former opressers of Bomani have not seen the last of Fre'land. The Free farmers will unite, and fight, again.

1. The House of Oakensword , in the middle of the western area, is mainly focused on fighting in forested areas and plains.

2.The House of FrozenBlade, In the northen areas, this house focuses on fighting the Northen Barbarians and fighting on icey terrain.

3.The House of Goldensphere , In the southen areas, this house focuses on fighting in hot, dry terrain. They wear little armor and rely on speed.

-Oakenshield, instead of sword, as you can make a shield from oak, but not a sword...

-Snagarak (northern, Snaga is a viking goddess)

-Duskweaver (southern)

Kusneeta

the kusneetian people, or people of the mountain in the elderian language, are a savage bunch. they live in the area of hardened lava from mount gigantus. these lands are mostly barren other than the towns of the kusneetian people and the volcanos that dot the land. these people make many raids down the slopes of mount gigantus, and into all of the surrounding towns. the lava is what controls their culture, and their civilization alltogether. since mount gigantus erupted 1000 years ago, the kusneetian people have been forced out of their cities and homes. they have been pushed into the surrounding areas. but some people stay in the towns. the "city of the mountain" is inhabited by the countless numbers of religous zealouts and fanatics, but is led by the taomane. the taomane is a powerful being, and usually considered to be divine by his followers. he can raise an army of the kusneetians with the raise of his fist. due to the eruptions, people are taking up arms and moving down the slopes and into the flatlands of the world. they await a decree from the taomane to strike at the cities to the south and east, but that will not take long...

Chinese - Xialong
    Japanese - Kuchinoro
    Indians - Mugol
    South East Asian - Tang Long
    Mongols - The Great Horde

Check the forums, i've got most of the important things stuffed into one topic somewhere...

The Nomadic factions could use mailny cavalry (and chariots and elephants, perhaps), for quick travel through the desert, and only light infantry, like spearmen, javelinmen, slingers, and archers.

I thinkn we should jut have cavalry, as any world with horses would see them being ridden by people. Not so chariots...

If we do include elephants in this, to go along side the horses, maybe we could edit them? Give them big stick legs, like one of Salvador Dali's paintings.

^ Like that, but maybe not on such a scale.

Hey, I've got that on a t-shirt.
    Yes, I don't see why not. I shall test my unit-modding skills and start on some nomad units, then.

A brief list of possible units :-

Cavalry :-

Desert Cavalry (armed with javelins + sword, weak armour, also mercenaries, only trained in desert)
    Nomadic Light Cavalry (armed with spears, weak armour, fast, also as mercenaries (perhaps))
    Nomadic Lancers (armed with lances, average armour, fast)
    Nomadic Heavy Cavalry (armed with spears, good armour)
    Nomadic Mounted Archers (armed with bows, good accuracy, weak armour, fast)
    Al-banu'pakis (elite cavalry, armed with swords, good armour)
    Al-banu'partis (elite cavalry, armed with lances, good armour)
    Cheif's (or whatever the title is) Al-banu'arnt (general's unit, armed with large swords, good armour)

Infantry :-

Desert Skirmishers (armed with javelins, fast, weak armour, only in desert, also mercenaries)
    Slingers (armed with slings, fast, low accuracy, weak armour)
    Volunteers (peasants, with spears)
    Apprentice Archers (trainee soldiers, bows, weak armour)
    Apprentices (trainee soldiers, spears, weak armour)
    Banu'tothnil (elite infantry, armed with spears or swords, good armour, fast)
    Banu'borti (elite infantry, armed with bows, average armour, good accuracy, fast)
    Last edited by Duke Malcolm; 04-06-2005 at 14:17.

maybe instead of using the word cavalry, we could make up our own word to replace it

Also some of them should be armed with other weapons, rarther than just swords. Invent new weapons for originality. Apart from that the list looks very good

For the 3 houses, I was thinking that Snagarak, who are in the north, have the best inantry, Oakensheld, in the middle, have the best archers and light infantry. Duskweaver, who are in the south, have the best cavalry, this makes the 3 houses more specialised.

First off let me say hello. I just joined this site/forum, whatever. Mainly because of this thread. I have been toying with the notion of doing a mod along these lines based on material I have for a series of novels i'd like to write. One day. That day being the day I magically have the time and motivation I suppose. I wanted to run it by you all and get some opinions.

Technology wise it would be right about where RTW is. Knighthood is a new introduction to society and is more a minority than anything else. Magic has been outlawed and so while there would be magicians in game they would take the form of retainers or maybe a character who is a magician. In my story magic isn't lights and bangs and visuals. It's more like Golden Dawn/Aleister Crowley stuff. You only know its existence by the results. So giving someone an influence bonus would be about all.

I have a huge amount of characters and factions that can be set up. I know very little about modding having only ever done faction unlocking and some faction tweaking in MTW. (making the danes a little better and giving them vikings) I also have a pantheon that I would want to put in.

Geographically the north is the main place with the south having been occupied as a penal colony for the norths criminals. Obviously the two are not big friends. To the east lies a kingdom that is somewhere between the japanese and mongols, samurai types and horseriders. There is a jungle continent that is largely inhabited (3 big cities and a lot of resources) and another continent that has an empire that is pretty much arabian in influence. The north is separated by factions who owe allegiance to a king. I would frickin love to make a king who could impose orders on those under him similar to how the roman senate works. Just similar tasks and if you don't keep the guy happy well he'll send his men against you. Outright rebellion. The northern factions are the 'greatlords'. Each of whom is very powerful but has their own agenda. A few of the factions have rebelled and support a claimant for the throne who is believed to be the son of the previous king who had been (along with his whole family, or so it was thought) assassinated. So multiple nations. Multiple factions within the nations, you name it. Story aplenty but no actual modding as of yet.

When I was infatuated with MTW I sat down and wrote out the stuff I would change for a game of my own if I could. Amazingly just about everything I put down CA did for RTW so I feel compelled to utilize it. Not that my feeling compelled has got me motivated to actually do it. Anyway I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or whatever. This is similar to what you guys have been discussing so this seemed like the proper place. Sorry to write a volume of War and Peace here. I can be a bit longwinded.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger."--Mencius

Quote Originally Posted by Sundjata Keita
    Also some of them should be armed with other weapons, rarther than just swords. Invent new weapons for originality. Apart from that the list looks very good
    Some sort of odd shaped spear?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast