Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The mod I'd love to see

Default The mod I'd love to see

While I'm very interested in the Medieval and Ancient periods, I would love to see someone throw history to the wind and mod their own world. It would be a parallel Earth, with its own unique geography, culture, history, heroes, etc... (No need to alter the units, aside from changing their names and assigning them to appropriate new factions).

The First Age mod kind of follows this premise (then again, politics and economics in Middle Earth is boring and 2D; there's really only 2 alliances and that's it).

I'd like to starting modding the campaign map and go from there. I encourage everyone to take a break from intense historical detail, and just go super-creative! Make a unique world. :)

Default Re: The mod I'd love to see

Yea I agree, it would be very interesting to see a mod like this, it would add more tactics to the game. You'd have to worry about Mages throwing fireballs and Priests healing or resurrecting troops.

Your Cavalry would have another job, charging down mages and priests provided they actually dodge those fireballs. I would imagine they would add an entire spells system and more interesting fractions and units.

I wouldn't like to see it set in middle-earth, the setting is kinda limited (there are only five wizards i think) and its getting abit old now. One idea I have not seen -Ever- is a Total War set in the Forgotten Realms, that would be an interesting setting, which would provide something different to LOTR. Just look at games like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale, those were both excellent games.

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

I thought about making a mod like this. I imagined a world fairly like our own but with different animals and culture types. It would have been set in the equivilent of the medieval period but with more basic siege weapons. However with very limited time I decided to do my Zulu mod instead becasue otherwise it would never get done

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

What an ingenius idea...

I had started a Jacobite/Scottish Clans mod, but after a few viri/viruses, whatever, the files got deleted, and I can't really continue until after all my exams.
    If it was a unique mod, however, you wouldn't have to follow the natural outline of an island, or regional borders, and could just go wild...
    A few more units, perhaps re-texturing, perhaps re-modelling...

What a good idea, yes. I would be willing to help if this is a team effort (although it would be only a little initially, what with exams and all).
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I've started making a campaign map, and I suggest that we get some factions on the go

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I would like a mod like this too. As long as there was no magic or things like that in, i would love it. Maybe i could help? I don't have a clue how to mod, but i have one heck of an imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

This sounds like a book my uncle wrote.

It would be neat to see though.

A mod where the histoey buffs are out weighed by those with good imaginations.
    Last edited by Zharakov; 03-31-2005 at 21:03.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

Smelo tovarishchi v' nogu!

I like Bush...

I could possibly help with a few models and stuff but I can't promise anything as I have plenty to do for my Zulu mod.

I suggest no magic as there are plenty of fantasy mods out there already, we need an alternate reality kind of thing.

A few things to think about are time period, I suggest a medieval type of setting but with simple armor. Factions, are you going to make some names up? If so what are the factions going to be like? I suggest an arab type faction, some Leidang/barbarian factions and some completely new styled factions.

If everyone puts ideas in then maybee one of you could write a storyline for it

I could write you a story.

Im Russian... its what we do... other then drink...

And wage war...

What would every one like to see in the story? Factions, places, ect.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

In my huge brooding red temple with spines!

Quote Originally Posted by NobleRubberChicken
    Yea I agree, it would be very interesting to see a mod like this, it would add more tactics to the game. You'd have to worry about Mages throwing fireballs and Priests healing or resurrecting troops.

Your Cavalry would have another job, charging down mages and priests provided they actually dodge those fireballs. I would imagine they would add an entire spells system and more interesting fractions and units.

I wouldn't like to see it set in middle-earth, the setting is kinda limited (there are only five wizards i think) and its getting abit old now. One idea I have not seen -Ever- is a Total War set in the Forgotten Realms, that would be an interesting setting, which would provide something different to LOTR. Just look at games like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale, those were both excellent games.
    I've made fireball throwing mages, or druids who throw firey oranger boulders.

I'm out of helping if you include magic, I'll wish you good luck with it but I feel that with magic it becomes too much like some of the other fantasy mods at SCC.

Okay, hows about we just have the fire mages, since I think it is a pretty good idea, but no other magic, and won't be such a fantasy mod.

And for factions, well, I thought about having a nomadic arab faction which wanders about the desert, with armies to begin with, but no cities, possibly just called the Nomads.

I also thought about a faction which uses technology, and could live in a pretty little mountain place that I have on my map. They could have units such as mobile seige cannons (sort of like tanks), hand cannoneers, and generally long-range weapons.

I also thought that the mod shouldn't be limited to an era. It could span out across all time, so perhaps we may have something as recent as Dragoons, fighting alongside something like Roman Legions, and Kataphractoi, and chariots. Simply to add more variation.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Well you can use my one_power projectile if you like, but personally, I think you should stay clear of magic, your loosing something thats unique to your mod otherwise...

Heres my idea.

Rebels are replaced with a Nomad faction.

Then the rest are like early Middle ages Europe.

Native America

Early Asian

Maby some African

And then a dead race that has scattered ruins and mercenary armys...

Fantasy just dosnt apeal to me... It always feels like a 1 man VS the world type of deal. Same with magic sort of...

And if we gave one faction muskets, then they would become a "suberfaction".

But Chinese and Korean Rocket Cavelry and Rocket siege weapons would be better suited for ballance.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

Yeah I'm with Zharakov on this one, magic and muskets/clash in time period just imbalance the game too much. Nomadic kind of tribes sound good to me as long as the storyline is good enough.

In my huge brooding red temple with spines!

Lightbulb Re: The mod I'd love to see

I've been fiddling with variations of what I already have, so far I'bve gotten Chariots of Themis (10 scythed chariots, 30 amazons, fire arrows) that's worked pretty well. The fireball throwing druids work, that's all I can figure out besides elven bow archers. I'm trying to make priest, using a modified druid chant to raise the dead, but it's just not working. I keep thinking since the bodies stay on the map it should be possible to reverse the death effect but I'm about to give up.

Ok, Ill write up a story line for this.

As for setting.

I was thinking like a big Vally with a volcano in the middle. And some big lakes to act like oceans, and some mountians and what not.

The southern reigons are arid and dry while the eastern reigons are wet and humid.

The north is cold and dry, while the west in warm and dry.

And I'll get some test faction storys to let you see my work.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

I'm very glad my proposal has sparked interest. It seems that every good 'mod-worthy' game coming out has interested gamers into making mods which try to replicate a world as depicted in history, or in some franchised fantasy book, comic, etc... It's an admirable pursuit and I'm very much in awe of the great mods online these days. But such mods can be potentially confining too. For instance, MTW is an awesome game, especially with the right mod. But as a historical simulator, it's fairly unlikely, no matter how it's modded.

I say to the pioneers here, why try to replicate history or another's work? There's big talent here. Make your own world and not some copy. Feel free to blend in any archetypes or outside material, but in the end, synthesize it and make something unique.

PS... Magic is not necessary, although it would be great as an optional module.

GL!

I like this idea!!! I've always wanted to do a fantasy mod, but i've been abused by some other rather not-nice people at RTW Heaven, so I let the idea drop.

Anyways, I can do text coding, design work for the factions, and I'm an ideas man, having read A LOT of sci-fi and fantasy novels (by: Eddings, Irvine, Gemmell, Tolkien (of course), Reilly).

My suggestions for this mod would be that we try to incorporate all the cultures of our earth into that parallel earth. I mean, not just europe, but asia (china, japan, india, south east asia), the americas (aztecs, maya, north american indians), africa (zulu, egypt), middle east and europe.

I like Zharakov's idea for the map. It gives all the possible climates, so all the possible cultures. I could work with you, Zharakov, on faction cultures based on you map ideas...

Also if you want a website set up for this mod, just tell me, and I'll make one...
    Last edited by dark_shadow89; 04-02-2005 at 08:37.

So is there magic or not?

I say no

I say no as well

I'd have to say no as well. But maby in a later release.

Thank you Darkshadow.

Here is a faction that I made up.

T'alassie
    Culture: American
    Economic breakdown: Farming, silver mines, Iron mines
    Provinces: N/A
    Citys: N/A
    Seaports: N/A
    History: Originaly a collective of farms, they were forced to unify under one banner to help protect them selves during a time of war. They are now a major farming nation with a good standing army.

I figured you would like to see an American faction more then a Russian one.
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

No magic. So far it is sounding good. I have an idea too though.

i was thinking like a big Vally with a volcano in the middle. And some big lakes to act like oceans, and some mountians and what not.

The southern reigons are arid and dry while the eastern reigons are wet and humid.

The north is cold and dry, while the west in warm and dry.
    In the south, we have mainly arabian style nomad factions, with the occasional arabic style faction who have permanent cities. The arabic factions would be very desert oriented, with little or no armour when fighting. They would also use plenty of cavalry.
    In the east, we have asian style factions, who are very centred around farming, and, like our world, produce something like silk for some sort of important trade route, which means they should be incredibly rich. Their armies would be focused around heavy elite infantry, and light peasantry soldiers, with some heavy cavalry.
    In the west, we have the European style factions. I don't know what we would have for them.
    And as for the northern regions...warrior eskimos maybe?
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

North is for Russia... And Canada can come along too...

Good idea comrade.

Ok, next question. Do you want the factions to be big empires? or little tribes that are just gaining power?
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

Do you want the factions to be big empires? or little tribes that are just gaining power?
    A mixture. Like in the arabic south, the big factions with established armies are continually fighting the small nomadic tribes. This would force the nomads to establish fortified positions. These forts would develop into towns, and eventually, they gain enough power to overthrow the more established factions. After all, does anyone remember in MTW how some provinces didn't have a castle in and they were empty, so you had to start from scratch and build a wooden fort?

Ok so to the south, mostly Nomadic tribes with 1 or 2 established Empires.

The East, Reletively speaking, well of Empires.

The West, Midevil Europe and some Native American.

The North, Russian and Mongolian nomadic Empires.

How is that? And how was the test faction?
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

It was quite good. Now, if we are actually going to make this mod:

1) We actually need to know how to mod. After all, by doing this, we are creating an entirely new campaign map. If we don't know how to mod, maybe we could find someone who does?

2) What should we call it?

Vally Total War lol
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

I like Bush...

'First imaginative and original mod yet' total war? *insert name here* total war?

Sounding good guys, I suggest you expand on the ideas of the west and east because at the moment they don't really fit in with the storyline. Maybee you could have a war between the people in the South who believe they have it worse off than everyone else. They begin to tackle the eastern factions to steal their rich silk (although I think you could invent a new resource) trade and they become wealthy themselves, the western factions suddenly start to see the southern factions as a threat and build defensive borders around their frontiers. The north at this time are engaged in a war with the nomadic farming people who live on the slopes of the volcano to get the fertile soil. A big lake seperates the north and the west and so no direct link is made however after the north conquer some of the volcano area they have a pass into rich western towns, the north who are protecting themselves against the south now have to treck back and fight the north. The nomadic volcano tribe pushes east while the eastern factions are weak, east pushes north because north are at war with west. A giant war is started and everyone is in chaos.

Of course there is the alternative storyline of the volcano erupting and the nomadic tribes on the volcano slopes migrating to all of the four sides and a war ensuing

Isn't King Malcolm doing the camp map. Anyway good luck guys. What about volcano total war?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast