Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've finally gone back to M:TW

Default I've finally gone back to M:TW

After I fouind out about the MIssle bug I barely played RTW till the patch came out. THen I was intensly satisfied with the patch until an even wose bug popped it's ugly head out. I thought it was still playable until last night I was playing a Spanish campaign and used the bug to successfully defend a rear-door city (Corduba) from a invader that would have decimated my homelands. I hate to sound like one of the many idiot (and not all idiotic) complainers but damn I'm finally just too fed up to play Rome even though it's better in so many ways and I'd rather play it. I just hope that the X-pack is properly bug-free and I can play again at that time.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

Default Re: I've finally gone back to M:TW

I have come to the same conclusion, although I don't intend to go away quietly. I am stubborn and feel ripped-off by CA for selling a flawed product with no support.

I recently purchased Russo-German War 41-44, a strategic level WWII wargame. This game has a superb AI and a developer that responds to his users same day!! There have been 7 patches primarily to tweak the game based on user feedback. This game and developer is restoring my faith.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Turbo,

What's the name of that game that you are talking about ? I'd be interested in playing a game that developers actually decide and intend to support. As after bad bug experiences with Beyond Good and Evil and now this with RTW, I'm now decided to purchase games based on the level of patch and support by game developers rather than much else as it's becoming a nightmare out there now for consumers....imho.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

You know, game developers that I really respect I support not only by buying the game, but often by buying several copies. Unfortunately, no such developers have existed for quite a few years now.

I've gone back to shogun for a little while. I just bought Samurai warriors for my PS2 and it made me ache for some STW.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

I tried re-playing MTW for awhile after I got fed up with the load/siege bug, but I came back to RTW because I just liked it better. To my great embarrasement, I may be a graphics fan-boy

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

It's not just the graphics. RTW has a great deal more detail the MTW. MTW doesn't make sense sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    It's not just the graphics. RTW has a great deal more detail the MTW. MTW doesn't make sense sometimes.
    The scope that CA tried to implement in RTW is indeed more detailed. You can see this in the strategic map, where the old province system was dropped, and so were the famous Finland-Antioch-Finland travels (Alright, i must confess i did use this "tactic", but i knew it did not make much sense).

But at the same time, the attention to the detail has not been as good. One of the clearest examples of this (IMHO) is the still-bugged protectorate system. And i remember to have read that they "adressed" this bug...

Still, i continue to play RTW campaigns. And i have left MTW for the multiplayer

Of course, i'm not counting some other genres, such as UT2K4. (BTW i think this game is a good example of a polished product)
    Proud member of the Cavarly Association of Commanders
    From MTW:Turks, Egyptians to MTW2: Turks again!. Passing through RTW: Scythia, Sarmatia/Baktria(this was in RTR, right?) and BI: Sarmatia, again!
    What?? Sign above the dotted line?? of course!

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

It has been nearly 3 weeks since I last played a campaign turn of RTW. I've done unit testing galore in that time, but I haven't been able to bring myself to play the campaign again. It isn't worth the effort to even start a campaign unless I hack out most of the command star traits, and I just haven't had the energy/interest level to tackle that yet.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Quote Originally Posted by The_678
    I thought it was still playable until last night I was playing a Spanish campaign and used the bug to successfully defend a rear-door city (Corduba) from a invader that would have decimated my homelands.
    I've never been able to conjure much sympathy for people who exploit a bug and then complain about its existence. The bug is an entirely valid problem for people who play short sessions, but it's a problem for the AI, not the player. When a player exploits it, that's their problem. It's like using cheats to make the game really easy, and then complaining that the game is too easy. Why not not use the bug to defend your rear-door city? It was your choice.

Bh

Pffft, fragged it off my system ages ago. MTW didn't work because I'm not willing to downgrade my graphics drivers for it. So bugger 'em.

Neverwinter Nights. Bioware. They know how to treat a customer.
    Love is a well aimed 24 pounder howitzer with percussion shells.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

I uninstalled Rome.

Just didn't appeal to me, the campaign nor online play.

Been looking for a replacement game until the next in the TW series is out.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Although, I'll reinstall to try out EB when they release it. What those guys are doing simply looks too good.
    Love is a well aimed 24 pounder howitzer with percussion shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    It isn't worth the effort to even start a campaign unless I hack out most of the command star traits
    What is it you don't like about these traits?

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Hey, er, can you really start MTW again?

I wish I could. I've seen MTW (I lost my old ones ) package only 20 $ (+Viking) but somehow couldn't pick it up. I'm fond of the old Byzantium rushes (Late) to rebuild my empire but I feel I can't get back any more.

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    It has been nearly 3 weeks since I last played a campaign turn of RTW. I've done unit testing galore in that time, but I haven't been able to bring myself to play the campaign again.
    Yeah, can't agree more. I stopped playing for fun 1.1 in October. Tried to get into 1.2, but just couldn't. No interest in the vanilla game anymore.

As for the combat traits, I've have a solution in mind. Hopefully it will be released one day...
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by therother
    As for the combat traits, I've have a solution in mind. Hopefully it will be released one day...
    Well, Raven has been trying to get in touch with you...perhaps that "someday" will be April...
    Cogita tute

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_678
    After I fouind out about the MIssle bug I barely played RTW till the patch came out. THen I was intensly satisfied with the patch until an even wose bug popped it's ugly head out. I thought it was still playable until last night I was playing a Spanish campaign and used the bug to successfully defend a rear-door city (Corduba) from a invader that would have decimated my homelands. I hate to sound like one of the many idiot (and not all idiotic) complainers but damn I'm finally just too fed up to play Rome even though it's better in so many ways and I'd rather play it. I just hope that the X-pack is properly bug-free and I can play again at that time.
    Good for you.

bye...
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Well I have long abandon the campaign and am playing mulitplayer online for 4 months, non-stops now. In fact I am going online almost everyday to meet a groups of regulars.

The AI just wasn't much of a challenge strategically nor tactically. MTW is only challenging because the AI is ridculous rich and it armies comes in hordes, other than that I still prefer RTW.

I played RTW then unninstalled it after 30 mins or so of playing a Bad game,

then decided to try it again,
    And uninstalled it again, game sux I really Really dont like it,
    so i play shogun again now,

Any 1 tell me if MTW is as good as STW or is it more like RTW by that i mean Useless

I've actually gone back to v1.0 rather than back to STW or MTW just yet and I've found the AI alot more challenging in v1.0.

I do of course have to play mini Iron-Man rules though in order to give the AI a chance (no reloads, no more than 2 archers, 3 cav per army, only 1 attack allowed per army per turn, must press END BATTLE button rather than hunt down routed army, no pausing during battle, no early rushing on strategic map etc).

When I do this as Juli on VH/VH in V1.0, it is a near titantic struggle with the Gauls. It took me nearly 20 years to get both Cispalpine Gaul towns. (I don't attack anyone for the first 10 years of a campaign to give AI chance to build armies and stuff) And over 50-60 years to get to Narbo with tons of famous battle sites all over Northern Italy and southern Gaul. I think I only have 3-4 family members left as all have died in battle....(no reloads remember). :)

In v1.2, well the difference is amazing. I easily walk all over Gaul and Spain in no time whatsoever with only 2 major defeats thus far. Not only is the strag map easier but also the battles seem to end in a matter of seconds in v1.2.

No challenge or fun whatsoever in v1.2 imho. A pain as the better diplomacy, and friendly fire fixes in v1.2 were good.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles
    I played RTW then unninstalled it after 30 mins or so of playing a Bad game,

then decided to try it again,
    And uninstalled it again, game sux I really Really dont like it,
    so i play shogun again now,

Any 1 tell me if MTW is as good as STW or is it more like RTW by that i mean Useless
    MTW/VI with patch is very good indeed. civil wars, crusades, jihads faction re-emerging, ex-communications, some tough battles...alot there to keep you playing for many months or even years (as in my case). I only stopped playing MTW when RTW came out....perhaps I should go back to it again. :)

Cheers
    Starkhorn

thnx I think il moove my questions to MTW forum now

ShambleS

Me I went back even further to STW - MI. The AI is surprisingly cunning compared to RTW. I had a helluva time defending Shinano as Takeda - though the map and positionig was the same every battle, the AI and the weather changed every time.

Graphics and diplomacy suck, though...
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

My biggest problem with STW was the strat map. The shape of Japan (and the lack of naval armies moving to attack the 'home provinces' makes it easier to play than MTW. Each strategic move is virtually pre-ordained. VI is better since you have to contend with the vikings somehow.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

If people like a HUGE variety in wargames, and if they want a company that responds to player feedback, then check out Matrix Games:

http://www.matrixgames.com/default.a...es.com/forums/

Quote Originally Posted by starkhorn
    Turbo,

What's the name of that game that you are talking about ? I'd be interested in playing a game that developers actually decide and intend to support. As after bad bug experiences with Beyond Good and Evil and now this with RTW, I'm now decided to purchase games based on the level of patch and support by game developers rather than much else as it's becoming a nightmare out there now for consumers....imho.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    The name of the game is Russo_german war 41-44. It is reminisent of the old SSI board games. It is a WWII strategic game on the Eastern front. The AI is very competent and unpredictable. The developer is a one man show but it is completely bug free and the patches have been almost exclusively enhancements. There have been 7 patches to date. The forums are on the Wargamer.com. Here is a link:

http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/rgwscen.htm
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I tried going back to MTW but the old interface got on my nerves, imho, this is one thing RTW really improved upon (although not on how your units react to your commands...)

I also prefer the smaller scale battles of Rome to the large, 3 army stacks each, monster fights of Medieval, mostly because I don't like the reinforcement system.

But I plan on going back to VI soon, another short campaign as the Vikings, they rule
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo
    The name of the game is Russo_german war 41-44. It is reminisent of the old SSI board games. It is a WWII strategic game on the Eastern front. The AI is very competent and unpredictable. The developer is a one man show but it is completely bug free and the patches have been almost exclusively enhancements. There have been 7 patches to date. The forums are on the Wargamer.com. Here is a link:

http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/rgwscen.htm
    It looks very interesting. I've had the SPI game "The war in the East" since the mid 70's but I never got to play it against anyone (other than my split personality).
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    I tried going back to MTW but the old interface got on my nerves, imho, this is one thing RTW really improved upon (although not on how your units react to your commands...)
    I have to unlearn RTW's interface to play any other game... Civil War Bull Run, STW/MI, MTW/VI... I still prefer the previous TW interface.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast