Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Factions

Default Re: The Factions

Tarabon started crumbling on itself because of the Seanchan, no Seanchan 100 years pre-Rand, thus Tarabon is cool. Alright, so when the Seanchan come and whatnot at that time there will be good ships available to them and the Seafolks, but what about the other nations?

They started crumbling with reason of the domani wars, really....

And the other nations will have ships, but no battle ships, just transport. Low attack and defence stats. Naval wars has never been important in WOT, since all countries are on the same continent, except the sea folk which no one cared about.
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

Hehe, for the record, would like to state that I believe I read somewhere that Illian builds in its own ships, and although they sucked compared to the Seafolks, those ships were pretty good to. So perhaps a bonus.

Actually, will shrines/temples be in this? I seem to remember something about a shrine for the Queen's Guards, Defenders, Companions.

there will be buildings that are resource dependent but no temples as such

The only naval warfare that went on really was that Illian had the habit of supporting privateers. More as a way to annoy Tear than as a true conflict. Almost all vessels are simply used for trading and transporting passengers. Remember war is largely thought of as being a matter of the cavalry charge... bringing all those horses on deck is difficult...

Since all of the traditional conflicts are simple border disputes... it's much easier to simply ride to war... and that's what the Westlanders are used to doing. Even their boats for trading and such are more to fill a gap left by the Sea Folk than to create a fleet. They have boats running up and down the rivers because the Sea Folk don't bother with that. When you get to the "international waters" however, everyone is content to leave that in the Atha'an Miere's hands. Remember the Atha'an Miere are known as fair bargainers. So the incentive to go trying hazardous new shipbuilding technologies, just doesn't exist.
    Drink water.

No, no temples or things like that... I have put together some info about most stuff now, and I will upload it someday... You will get the picture there, I hope...
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

updated, read the first post

United on Earth Member al'Callaendor's Avatar
    The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth,
    and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of
    Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet
    fall under the Shadow

Twice and twice shall he be marked,
    Twice to live, and twice to die.
    Once the heron, to set his path.
    Twice the heron, to name him true.
    Once the dragon, for remembrance lost.
    Twice the dragon, for the price he must pay.

From what I have understood, Illian had quite the Navy. They always had a giant navy.

And even though I am a big Illian Guy, I don't think Illian could beat Tear hands down. They went to war with each other so much, if they really had such an advantage, Tear would hardly exist. (It still would because the Stone would never fall)

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

Ilian may have a Merchant navy, and some sort of Pirates to raid costal Tairen vilages, but nothing bigger than that. In all World of Wheel of Time, Seanchan has only military navy. And they are only rivaled by Sea folk merchants.

Don''t forget Shara. They must have a formidable navy to keep the Sea Folk from sailing around to their east coast (and presumably to stop the Seanchan from sailing around to their south coast).

As for military navies, Illian, Tear and Mayene all seem to have some military strength at sea, but nothing on the level of the Sea Folk. The Sea Folk are the most advanced civilisation in the Wheel world (they have sextants, for example, which are unknown apparently even to the Seanchan) since they never had the reversals of the Trolloc Wars and the War of the Hundred Years to deal with.
    A Game of Thrones: Total War - A mod for Medieval 2

No, Shara doesn't have any navy. They sink SF boats from coast if they get too close to it at wrong points. And Shara won't be appearing in this movie :D

They are at sea tehnologialy most advanced. But they didnt progras these 3000 years either.

How do you know all this stuff?

What stuff?
    Background imformation about Shara comes from World of Wheel of Time (my acronym is WoWoT) which is also called Big White Book (usual acronym BWB)

ok, thanks.

The BWB says nothing about Shara not having a navy. Rather blatantly it does, to patrol the coastlines out of site of land and keep anyone coming in close away from the shoreline. Having roving patrols of warships is rather more plausible than having one powerful Ayyad for every half-mile or so of shoreline constantly keeping an eye out for interlopers. They'd probably need ten thousand of them just for that job by itself.

But for the purposes of the mod, agreed that Shara will not play a part.

Child of the Light Member GreyHuntr's Avatar

If the Shara had a navy, wouldn't they likely sned a few merchant vessles west? It seems foolish that an entire empire would rely solely on the sea folk for all it's foreign trade if it were capable of doing so itself.
    "The Children have authority where there is Light. Where the Light is not, we bring it!"

Post Re: The Factions

Maybe, but don't forget that that everything in both the books and the Guide makes it quite clear that the Sharans are extremely isolationistic. It's possible they have a powerful navy, but personally I doubt they would permit a merchant fleet. A limited amount of tightly controlled trade with the Sea Folk and the Aiel is tolerated (probably for the revenue) but beyond that it seems to me that the powers that be in Shara (The Ayyad or whoever) are hell-bent on ensuring that contact between Shara and the outside world is kept to the absolute minimum possible.

I don't know, that's just my impression.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Child of the Light Member GreyHuntr's Avatar

That is likely RJ's justification for it, but it still doesn't make much sense.
    "The Children have authority where there is Light. Where the Light is not, we bring it!"

Shara almost certainly trades with Seanchan as well across the Morenal Ocean, which is much narrower than the Aryth Ocean, so I'm guessing the Sharans prevent the Westlanders from travelling to their east coast in case they encounter the Seanchan and vice versa. Shara is reminiscent of China after the scuttling of the treasure fleets in the 15th Century, namely that trade into the country is welcomed but under strictly-controlled circumstances, combined with a genral distrust of outsiders.

Now that the Ayyad have descended into civil war, it looks like the Sharans are beginning to venture outside their land, hence the Sharan merchant in Tear trying to offload his silkworms.

The nearness of TG is affecting them too. They will likely deny it like they denied that Troloc W affected them.

From most beatifull city on dunjaluk Mostar,Bosna..now in cold Norway thanks to neighbouring primitives...

Is this mod officially dead?

You say wrong things at wrong times ALL the time!
    You'r mouth is like a fabric of mistakes!- Lana (My Girlfriend)

Quintus Libo / Austria Member Glaucus's Avatar

Read the posts below this. Then you can ask that.
    HBO Rome:
    Mark Anthony
    :I shall be a good Politican, even if it kills me... or anyone else for that matter.

Really nice work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12