Thread: Flaming Arrows?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Flaming Arrows?

I was wondering what the point of flaming arrows (from normal archers) is?
    The game manual says that artillery and archers can use flaming arrows to set men and buildings alight, but this is just not possible with normal archers. Trust me, I've tried. I put the game on unlimited ammo and just stood back while the horribly-inaccurate fire arrows went all over the place in several sieges before, and nothing but a few men burned.
    An effect on morale maybe? The power and accuracy of fire arrows are so bad, normal arrows are more demoralizing.
    Tactical advantage? A single volley from a Forester Warband cuts down around 10-15 people on average, whereas a single volley of fire arrows only kills about three at most.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on the uses of flaming arrows, or let me know how to mod them to be slightly better than worthless?

Default Re: Flaming Arrows?

They have two uses.
    First, as you have guessed correctly the guve a morale hit. Especially elephants are very scared of fire.
    Second they can be used in sieges to destroy siegetowers, rams and sapping points. It might take some time though, because there is a random factor involved. The tower might burn after the second volley, or it won`t incinerate until the troops have disembarked.
    However, if two (basic) archers fire at one tower, it will go down 95% times.

For dealing raw damage to troops however, firearrows aren´t worth much.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I kinda figured they were for siege equipment (I never gave the AI a chance to assault, so I couldnt test it), but they need to specify that in the manual instead of giving incorrect information (IE: setting buildings aflame)

I've found them to be extremely useful for breaking units that are close to routing.

i use them alot, mp and sp.

although frightfully historically inaccurate (except for maybe sieges), here's where i find them most useful

1- armoured troops. stuff like armoured hoplites, or armoured cav. the extra fire damage gives that extra kick. and it evens out, even though more accurate, regular arrows wont do nearly as much damage. fire arrows can reign down well against heavily armoured opponents.

2- troops with multiple HP. (i love using things like berserkers and stuff against cavalry, because of that extra hp. the charge/first hit doesnt kill them, it only knocks them down and they get up to slaughter the cav) and in that vein, the fire damage helps.

3- vs a charge. i usually have at least 3 archer units no matter who im using, and if im being charged (especially cav) they all light up and let loose. if that isnt enough to slow their charge or turn them back, then once they at least impact into my lines, their numbers/morale will be cut.

actually, i use fire arrows as much or more often than regular arrows. i find the kill numbers are close, (in favour of regular arrows by a bit) but the extra punch, and morale-damage wins often. especially because alot of my friends use things like phalanxes/hoplites/cataphracts

I like fire arrows most of the time, however they seem to fire slower than normal but my main use for them is against chariots. They set alight easily and usually get like 3-5 chariots atime

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Runes,

Good post.

The fact that a player can find so many uses for them is one of the things that really bothers me about the flaming arrows. The AI LOVES to use them against me.

They should be short range, and only useful in fairly specific situations (read that as "rare.") I got so tired of seeing them in inappropriate use that I finally modded them out of my game.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Yes i must say that i needed answers to... Nice that somany people out there can help you where you just cant find reason.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Flaming arrows are great against siege towers at close range. Wait until the siege tower is at the wall or close to it so the archers can fire at the sides. Within a few volleys the tower will probably catch alight. And if the tower has been at the wall for a while, when it burns down, you'll probably kill nearly the entire unit assigned to the tower at once. Keep some units between the archers and those coming up the tower though to give them time to burn it down.

Flaming arrows are great against elephants too. Gets them to rout or run amok faster.

I sometimes switch to flaming arrows when I want to be able to preserve arrows but still keep up a constant barriage of arrows. Kill rate might not be as good, but at least the archers won't run out of ammo so quickly, plus the enemy suffer from morale losses for a longer time.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

i don't like flaming arrows because of the poor accuracy, so i tend not to use them..

"They should be short range, and only useful in fairly specific situations (read that as "rare.") I got so tired of seeing them in inappropriate use that I finally modded them out of my game."

precisely.

they are not realistic in the least.

would an archer have time to take out an arrow, doust it in fuel/fuel soaked rag, some how manage to get it alight and then fire it?

no. maybe in an extended siege or even defense situation but NEVER in the way that RTW depicts it.

similarly, if i got hit from a flaming arrow, why would it do more damage to me? sure it might burn me a bit, but it certainly wouldn't kill/maim me anymore than a normal arrow.

they are pretty lame.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

By the way, you can reduce the flaming arrow range in projectile stats by reducing the velocity. Default velocity is 48 m/sec which will allow them to shoot as far as any other arrows. If you reduce the flaming arrow to about 30 m/sec their max range will be around 90 meters instead of 120 or 170. If you do this only for the flaming projectile, the regular arrows will continue to have their normal range. The only drawback is that in "flaming mode" the unit will still pantomime firing at 120 or 170 meter range, but won't release any missiles.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

I was wondering what the point of flaming arrows is?

Hmm...
    To flame other users!

joke
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

augh...lame! Flaming arrows are the best... when doing sieges I turn them off, so i kill more defenders, but on field they are exclusively on flaming to break the enemy those few seconds faster...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Don't mess with the Beef, FOOL Member Beefy's Avatar

flaming arrows vut through Chariots like a hot knife through butter.
    in maybe 1 accurate volley you can almost reduce numbers by a half each time.
    The Vandal Horde RTW Clan looking for new members!

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Ahh, flaming arrows. I still dream that the patch will contain a change so that you can fire them to set fire of buildings, bridges etc too.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

as said by many above, i only use fire arrows vs siege equipment. thoug i never saw the enemy use fire arrows vs me only with ballista and onagers

We do not sow.