Thread: My opinion of the final

I have watched the final and I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the standard of play. In the shoot out rtk did well considering he was 1 artillery unit down but his use of the cav arch I did not partilculry like and then DRB's troops got a bit mixed up within each other mistakes from both sides. Rtk's charge was poor i seen a couple if horses go straight into spears and he was dead from that moment. I suppose it is easier from hindsight but as it was a final I believe the standard of play could and should have been better. But all credit to them for getting there in the 1st place.
    I am great

Senior Member Senior Member Boromir's Avatar

Tank, I have not yet seen it, but think of it in comparison to a World Cup final.
    That is hardly ever a great game is it? but it doesnt mean that they arent the best teams.
    Brazil 0-0 Italy? What a crap game that was but Brazil was certainly the best team in the tournament.
    Many things can effect the standard of game, players can neutralise each other, get nervous etc etc.

Boromir...

Sven Goran-Eriksson is a very very very nice man

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

I've seen the replay, and too found the battle pretty 'standard', i.e. boring

Probably they were too cautious, not to make a mistake early on.. this may explain the conservative strategy and army. Probably that's how most comp were played? I dont know since I dont play comp most of the time.

------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    headmaster of Shogun-Academy
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Don't say another word. If they were fightign in a map like ironing board or a very flat map 1v1 games are boring.
    Like l have said in earlier posts battles begin with the traditional shoot-out(nag cav rashes to then guns...), when someone looses it he must attack his opponent battle occurs one flees, battle ends...yawn!!!
    I think that if the battle was boring then the outcome relies heavily in the location they faught!
    Anyway l would suggest fighting 2 games on a quite a hilly map(with certain locations where the attacker can exploit) and each battle each opponent is the defender opponent.
    The guy that wins 2 times wins. If the wins are 1-1 then the guy with most kills in 2 games wins.(also no routing of units to save men should be permited)!

------------------
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

I've seen the replay too and I have to agree with Tank about the playing standard. However it was a final m8s, remember. Both were very cautious and "standard".

Tera.

------------------
    Proud member of Clan Kenchikuka.
    evil is within us...

to an extent DRB's army made the game a bit boring he had a very static army. he had more arch which in my opinion are easier to handle than cav arch. Cav arch die much quicker than arch when being fired at also especially by guns. RTK u could say had more mobility but did he get a chance to use it? I don't know.
    I am great

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH!

You found the map boring. Hmmm...

Vanya sez:
    1. Next tourney should use Vanya maps exclusively.
    2. Finals is best of 7 (like baseball), using 2-3-2 format. Each side picks "home" Vanya map; 1st 2 on A's home, next 3 on B's home, last 2 on A's home. Home player defends. If you like, you can even make game 7 on iron bored for evenness... but that is the limit of Vanya's tolerance. Winner has to take 4 wins!

Just an idea...
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

1 vs 1 games on ironing are boring, another possible good tourney could be which uses fixed arm,ies and situatiaons and the campaigntool
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

Well, yeah I was not in the least impressed by the final actually. Elrich's rush at the end was in particular very poorly executed. But I wasn't gonna say anything.

IMO if there are to be tourneys in the future, it seems as if they should be shorter. If that means excluding people who can't move their a$$, so be it. Of course, I cannot claim to have even a smidge of firsthand experience so I shall defer if there are more worthy opinions.

Matt

------------------
    Shogun 2 now available for download! Comes with a nifty version-switching program, so never have to break a sweat! Click here NOW!!

To read all about it, click here.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Office pool tourneys

Collect a "join" fee from each participant. Winner of the tourney takes home the pot.

At least it will ensure only serious players will join... and it will inspire them to play their best...

But, just make sure the final is best of 7 (see post above) or something so they won't whine if they are unlucky. Which is why baseball does it that way... to remove luck from the equation and ensure the best really wins. To get 4 wins, it takes more skill than luck... to get just one win (or even 2), luck can be the deciding factor...

The fixed army idea of Magya's might be interesting... but in the long run, it would get boring. At least everybody knows what they are up against... no surprises lurking in the dark. You'd think that means tactics would decide the winner...
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

so we should have six more matches of USA vs Portugal ? opps off-topic..
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Well its all ur opinion I say that the games i had there were 2 "fun games" at least not boring and the rest was "normal".
    Hope to see a tourney on totomi or something a bit hilly but no mountains.
    Well i got a nice idea for tourney but i wont gonna host a tounrey maybe IF some1 else want to host a tourney he could talk with me?

DRB

WOW!!!
    Ehm i have a question how can u make those pictures and (champion) icons? or something????

DRB

so the use of the campaigntool would be the best solution i guess.

everyone play everyone in the tourney once and the campaigntool is to create new armies after each battle. the tool have to be redressed a bit so unit can not grow in honour during battles.
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

Nah run the video on your DVD player, get the pic, edit it in photoshop and add whatever u want on it... and there you go

------------------
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness