archers tale
    the vagabond
    and ermm i forget the third book in the series name

Default Re: good male writters

I like Sharpe, and any books on the Crimean War

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Writters? Dont know of any... writters.

If you mean writers, then Gary Gygax takes the prize.

I would think it would be easier to just make a "Your favorite author" thread. I dont see what the difference is..

Mine i guess is Tim Ripley.. here are his best books in my opinion.

He is able to thoroughly cover the subject while still keeping it interesting and even action packed. He doesnt take sides or show favoritism in such touchy subjects as the war in the east, (although he does devote those particular books to the Russians), which is very important in a historian. Well written, lucid, interesting. Thats what i look for in a good historian.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Re: good male writers

I thought Gary Gygax was the architect of D&D ... didn't know he was writing books now. Surely Fantasy/Sci Fi if so, not books on history and warefare??

Clayton, are you asking about fiction books, or books on military history? What genre of writers are you asking about?
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by TogakureOjonin
    I thought Gary Gygax was the architect of D&D ... didn't know he was writing books now. Surely Fantasy/Sci Fi if so, not books on history and warefare??

Clayton, are you asking about fiction books, or books on military history? What genre of writers are you asking about?
    He only asked for writers. He never specified any details ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    He only asked for writers. He never specified any details ;)
    But putting the question in the context of it being asked in a history forum...(I do like Gary's writing too, BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight
    is this to copy them?
    That was a cheap shot.

I can't name a favourite historical writer. Most of what I read was a long time ago and the little I've read recently is autobiographical: George S. Patton Jr., James Longstreet, Joshu Chamberlain and Heinz Guderian. Of these, I thought Guderian wrote a very readable and engaging account of his experiences during WW2 in Panzer Leader, but to be fair it wasn't to the level of detail as these other three.
    This space intentionally left blank

Bernard Cornwell's best are his American Civil War books - the Starbuck series. They truly are great and get the period from pre war to Antietam down to a T, very good.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

History/biography, or historical fiction? (Realizing that some autobiographies are "historical fiction" of course... )
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Just out of curiosity - why does it have to be a male writer?

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Because there's a 'Good Female Historians' thread in this forum as well, which is probably why this thread was made.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

That was a cheap shot.
    I know and im sorry.....

I like Trevor Royals books he somehow manages to get his hands on dispatches previously unseen

I also like C S Forester and the Hornblower series

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard
    Because there's a 'Good Female Historians' thread in this forum as well, which is probably why this thread was made.

~Wiz
    So the difference between a good writer and a good historian is gender? Oiy. There's a difference between a historian and a writer, of course. A writer writes books/novels and gets published. A historian doesnt need to do any of that (and most often are professors or field workers).

And in a non-joking way, the best writer "of history" would have to be the multiple people working on the Ospry series, specifically the Man-At-Arms books. They may not be a 300 page thesis on a period of history, but they condense those specific periods into a form that's easily digestible to non-historians, and fun to read as well. Of course, I'm partial because they are what I make my MTW mods from.

My favourite author (this is of historical authors, I am assuming this because this thread is posted in the monastery) is Valerio Massimo Manfredi. He writes historical fiction - the Alexander Trilogy... and others such as The Last Legion and Spartan. Although these books are fiction, they contain a good amount of truth and you learn a fair bit from them. Plus, I really enjoy reading the books.

Currently reading: The Talisman of Troy by (guess who?) Valerio Massimo Manfredi.
    Last edited by Craterus; 04-03-2005 at 00:00. Reason: small altercations

Do watch out with believing the things mentioned in the Alexander trilogy by Manfredi -- he tends to paint a very rosy picture of Alexander's character indeed.

~Wiz

I know which is why I put some truth.. I know that some things in the book are definitely not true but it's still an entertaining read.

Yep, some quite enjoyable books there.

I personally like Gore Vidal a lot. His books, Julian (about Julian the Apostate) and Creation (a panoramic view of the world in the reigns of Darius the Great and Xerxes) are very interesting reads which lend a unique perspective into the world at that time. Another good writer is Wilbur Smith, but that's of a later period.

For historical non-fiction, Adrian Goldsworthy is great. A good historian, but sadly he only deals with the Romans. R. L. Fox is another great historian, although his first book, Alexander the Great, has some theories in it which I doubt personally.

~Wiz

I like Goldsworthy too...only read one book though In the Name of Rome...John Keegan is quite good from what I hav read