Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Org getting a bit hostile?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Org getting a bit hostile?

Title says it all, I noticed the debates get a bit more heated than is needed.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: Org getting a bit hostile?

Well, I don't think the backroom is getting any worse, there some flamewars in the colosseum between the lovers and haters of RTW, but that's been going on for some time. I don't really see the org as a whole getting more hostile.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

I hate it when people start insulting others for no reason. God some people have no manners. Just try to avoid replying to them. They want ennoy.

Flaming was not really an issue when i first joined but i agree it has become more prevalent recently. It can really ruin some threads though when you have to read around two individual's slagging match to get the information you need. I very rarely post in them now to avoid unnecessary abuse.

So maybe the Org isn't getting more hostile but maybe saturated by a more diverse patron. Well thought intelligent arguments can be easily lost sifting through some people's idea of fun.

Just my tupence worth!
    Denuone Latine Loquebar?

The aptly named 'backroom' appears to be the "ill informed political speculation" forum? I've no desire to ever post there or become involved with the rubbishy topics, and I don't think I have the permissions anyway? (damn what a loss!) As to people flaming each other over which computer game is better?! Those people simply need to grow up perhaps?

The best way to deal with such people is to pretend they don't exist:

Normal_member1:
    hi i'm new and need advice on blah blah blah

Normal_member2:
    welcome to the forums Normal_member1, your info is here... etc

Flamer_that_needs_to_get_out_more:
    huh your a faggit an my cuntres grate milittary is gonna bomb your cuntre and giv you freadum. oh an nuke us an well nuke you cos we got more nukes

Normal_member1:
    thanks for the help Normal_member2! :)
    After being treated like this for a few days the attention seeking little man will go and play on another forum.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beorhtwulf
    The aptly named 'backroom' appears to be the "ill informed political speculation" forum? I've no desire to ever post there or become involved with the rubbishy topics, and I don't think I have the permissions anyway? (damn what a loss!) As to people flaming each other over which computer game is better?! Those people simply need to grow up perhaps?

After being treated like this for a few days the attention seeking little man will go and play on another forum.
    Don't Insult the Backroom! It is a fundemental part of the Org, where members can intellegenty discuss Politics for a few pages before they degrade into a bitching match! How do you think I got so many posts and everyone knows me?
    And Yes I have been in my share of flame wars (50-100 post ones as well). So yeah.
    Flame wars are not good but they happen, you can't just go around insulting a forum for a few flame wars.
    Just my two cents.
    You got me fired up when you insulted my internet home.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser of Arabia
    Don't Insult the Backroom! It is a fundemental part of the Org, where members can intellegenty discuss Politics for a few pages before they degrade into a bitching match! How do you think I got so many posts and everyone knows me?
    And Yes I have been in my share of flame wars (50-100 post ones as well). So yeah.
    Flame wars are not good but they happen, you can't just go around insulting a forum for a few flame wars.
    Just my two cents.
    You got me fired up when you insulted my internet home.
    Indeed, the backroom is a place where politics are discussed, and people from all over the world and with all sorts of opinions can share their views in a polite and civil matter. There is no other place where that is possible.

You say all this flaming people on the forum and a whole group of people who use the backroom.. Well done.

Maybe things are getting a bit more touchy but they are no where near as bad as they were before the Presidential elections for instance, it just ebbs and flows.

Frag, you are not all innocent as well - likewise nor am I.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

No I think you'll find that I was expressing an opinion about a forum where most of the flaming is likely to occur for obvious reasons.

The aptly named 'backroom' appears to be the "ill informed political speculation" forum? I've no desire to ever post there or become involved with the rubbishy topics, and I don't think I have the permissions anyway? (damn what a loss!)
    Very little posted there is accurate and all I have read so far is extremely biased political views interlaced with endorsements to "invade county x" and "bomb country y". No solutions there...

Then I gave a separate opinion on how to deal with a member that bashes your posts and starts a flaming match specifically in the RTW vs MTW sense.

As to people flaming each other over which computer game is better?! Those people simply need to grow up perhaps?

Your replies are spontaneous, highly defensive and I notice that it is 'backroom' regulars that have rushed in here to 'defend' this forum. Well done also, you've defended it, and in doing have proved that you are not open to outside opinons, so it's just as well that only 'members' can go there really...

People in this forum seem to have a habit of jumping on other peoples every word.

People in this forum seem to have a habit of jumping on other peoples every word.
    Discussion is a game, and some are very good at it That is what you get with people from all over the world, they tend to disagree. The thing I regret is that it seems to become less playfull, hence this topic. But it is still the most mature platform there is imvho.

Very little posted there is accurate and all I have read so far is extremely biased political views interlaced with endorsements to "invade county x" and "bomb country y". No solutions there...
    Stating your opinion of the backroom in this matter is just provoking another flame war ...
    The backroom is an important part of the org, if for no other reason than to keep the (political) flame wars out of the rest of the org.

so it's just as well that only 'members' can go there really...
    I know I sound stupid...but there is a reason for that...the mods want to see how you perform flamewise before letting you get onto touchy topics discussed in the backroom

I notice that it is 'backroom' regulars that have rushed in here to 'defend' this forum.
    So? We use the forum, why can't we defend it? It's a nice place to chat and talk to people...

I noticed the debates get a bit more heated than is needed.
    I am not so sure...the tavern used to be worse than the current backroom in terms of heat...it was really quiet when they banned Dev Dave...

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Here here, Kaiser!
    Your replies are spontaneous, highly defensive and I notice that it is 'backroom' regulars that have rushed in here to 'defend' this forum. Well done also, you've defended it, and in doing have proved that you are not open to outside opinons, so it's just as well that only 'members' can go there really...

People in this forum seem to have a habit of jumping on other peoples every word
    Well we have no control over who comes in... But we are open to outside opinons, and while we have our arguments, we listen to everyone, even though we disagree with them. Its quite fun, really...

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

The reasons certain subjects generate more passion in the discussion of the issue is because of the nature of it and the more contraverstial (SP) of the subject the greater the passion. I am very guilty of often going off on a tangent - and taking offensive remarks as personal insults - but then I don't take insulting language with a lot of tolerance either. And tend to fight fire with fire.

However I have attempted to calm my approach down slightly and use a little more attempts at humor in my posts - probably not very well - never been much of a comic - more the straight man.

I like discussing issues with the politicial opposition and those with completely different social and society views - and because of that it does tend to get very heated in the discussion. Learned a lot from posters such as Adrian, Jag, Hurin, Beriut, Tribesman and Goofball and a few others that I have direct conflict with time to time - however until they make personal references the flaming remains somewhat muted -

If you want to see hostile posts go back and read those from the likes of Squippy and others of his ilk - now that is when the org in some ways was down right hostile.

Now its just another phase that people are going through - several new posters have found their way into the backroom and are finding their place and posting style for that venue - some are being outright offensive in their methods - and others are just poorly expressing their views in a format where great and diverse opinions are often shared - give it a few more monthes and it will calm down again until the next cycle starts once again.

We got to keep the moderators challenged in full filling their duties as moderators - that part of the fun of the backroom.

And yes I sometimes like being the hypocrit because it does stir up the discussion sometimes.

As for Beorhtwulf comment of
    The aptly named 'backroom' appears to be the "ill informed political speculation" forum? I've no desire to ever post there or become involved with the rubbishy topics, and I don't think I have the permissions anyway? (damn what a loss!)

followed by

Then I gave a separate opinion on how to deal with a member that bashes your posts and starts a flaming match specifically in the RTW vs MTW sense.
    Its not so much as ill informed or inaccurate posting of opinions about politics and society - but different prespectives of how the events are seen. Your opinion on this is as accurate as your prespection - however your judgement on the nature of the posts in the backroom is an inaccurate as you claim others posts on the subject are.

Adrian often posts his opinion with great supporting and accurate material to back it up.
    Hurin - ditto
    Pindar - ditto

The first thing anyone needs to learn in internet posting is that generalizations such as you just made are always inaccurate.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    Here here, Kaiser!

Well we have no control over who comes in... But we are open to outside opinons, and while we have our arguments, we listen to everyone, even though we disagree with them. Its quite fun, really...
    May I add, that no matter what we say, for the most part, we're all pretty good friends, considering it's over an online forum.
    So yeah. You don't like the backroom, don't post there, but don't insult it either.

Why do you hate Freedom?

The 'backroom' is a bit of php script and a database table or two, I doubt it's taken any offence.

Anyway, as you've said I don't have to post there, and you're right. So case closed? I certainly haven't taken offence here. :)

That's me done, have a good one.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

It's not just the backroom, ya know. It's everywhere. There is a thread in the MTW forums asking which mod do you like best, and a poster had the audacity to call him a faggot because he likes mods.

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    It's not just the backroom, ya know. It's everywhere. There is a thread in the MTW forums asking which mod do you like best, and a poster had the audacity to call him a faggot because he likes mods.
    But that was a junior member and those were almost his first posts (

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    But that was a junior member and those were almost his first posts
    So being junior member gives him the right to call someone a faggot and get away with it? An inappropriate insult is still an inappropriate insult, no matter who posts it.

The backroom can be the host to a few debates but like I say, it's just a bit of banter.. Some places e.g. Colloseum can have a few debates etc. but isn't that the idea of a forum - to express your opinion and hear those of others from across the world...

There is no need for insults though, by all means these should be kept out of the debates..

I read that the warning system is down and being repaired. Reminds me of Churchill's saying: "When eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber".

There are positive aspects of this too. To catch a rat, sometimes you have to set a trap, leave the room, and turn out the light.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

So being junior member gives him the right to call someone a faggot and get away with it? An inappropriate insult is still an inappropriate insult, no matter who posts it.
    Agreed, though it could be said it's none of my buisness. But saying that isn't cool.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

The 'backroom' is a bit of php script and a database table or two, I doubt it's taken any offence.

Anyway, as you've said I don't have to post there, and you're right. So case closed? I certainly haven't taken offence here. :)

That's me done, have a good one.

The people who post there take offense.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Well, I don't think the backroom is getting any worse, there some flamewars in the colosseum between the lovers and haters of RTW, but that's been going on for some time. I don't really see the org as a whole getting more hostile.
    I wouldn't call them flame wars. The posters are not attacking one another for the most part as best I can tell. Passionate discussions, yes, flamewars no. The Colosseum tone is no different than any other RTW forum tone any more. About half the posters are disatisfied with a game with no further patches that is crippled by bugs and fails to even come close to its potential.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    I know I sound stupid...but there is a reason for that...the mods want to see how you perform flamewise before letting you get onto touchy topics discussed in the backroom

So? We use the forum, why can't we defend it? It's a nice place to chat and talk to people...

I am not so sure...the tavern used to be worse than the current backroom in terms of heat...it was really quiet when they banned Dev Dave...
    Gee, thanks...
    RIP Tosa

Why did you get banned?

i really hate the backroom, because its always a big waste of time...., yes politics is a conversation topic, but you don't talk to each other about politics, you should reserve politics for the political campaign or your club, not shout it out loud in the pub, i can tell you this the only conversations that go on in pubs are personal or rubbish or sports, definately not taboo subjects like politics or religion.
    and you won't change someones belief on whether god exists or not, or if welfare is worth the cost to the taxpayer... because those things are so deep within most people that talk about it, it would be like trying to cut out a persons liver and sewing them back up in such a way they can still live for weeks.

also back in the old days before the backroom, the tavern was much worse to the stage where the one word story (whatever happened to that) fell behind the first page....

thanks,
    dizzy
    Last edited by dessa14; 04-03-2005 at 12:46.
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    Hey don't worry about it, I didn't really take offence when it was said. Its obviously some guy just wanting to stir up trouble.

I'm afraid masaki86 might be my problem though. One of my dorm buddies at Uni has taken to finding out forums I go on, registering himself on it and stirring up trouble. Theres a chance he might be masaki86.

But I can't really say all the flames are by him though can I?
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

The only hostility I see around here, besides the RTW fights over issues and how people view the game, is when people ask for help writing books. There have been more anger over that clayton and his book than most issues around here. Personally I think the Guild should adopt some anti-book writing campaign to stop all this. This book writing has dragged down the usual high intellegence of the Monastery in certain areas to the mud-slinging and sly remarks that is seen around here in election times.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

I've been working on the clayton issue ColdKnight. Aside from one new patron, I've not seen any anger, more disbelief than anything, and no one has bothered to PM me about it.
    This space intentionally left blank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast