Thread: Great Examples of Slide Guitar/Slide Guitar Musicians

Default Great Examples of Slide Guitar/Slide Guitar Musicians

Recently i've been getting into slide guitar. My teacher has asked me to go off and find a few tracks by slide artists to show him, then learn (he'd rather i find something I want to learn, as opposed to him teaching me something i wouldn't perhaps get on with). However, apart from 3 examples, i've come up blank.

My examples are
    Derek and the Dominoes - Layla
    Pink Floyd - High Hopes
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

So, any help here will be much appreciated.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Default Re: Great Examples of Slide Guitar/Slide Guitar Musicians

Any Allman Brothers Band song.
    Duane was awesome, but their new guitarists (Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes), who both play slide on some songs are also insanely awesome.
    Um, there are some good bluesy songs with awesome slide by the Stones... can't really think of any off the top of my head, though. One on Clapton's Unplugged, is Walkin Blues, or something.
    If I think of more, I'll tell you... And good luck with the guitar. It's quite fun. I also have a slide, not so good, but it's fun fiddling around with it. If you can, try with both aucostic and electric guitars, as they sound different from each other.
    I'll give a hint my dad's friend (an awesome slide guitarst) said: within each solo, stay within the pentatonic scales (essentially groups of four frets). You can move in the song in general, but don't go from the the fifth fret to the twelth in one slide, otherwise it sounds weird.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Led Zep-''Travellin riverside blues''

I think there is more floyd tracks on the pulse live disk too...IIRC that is!

Black Crows, Southern harmony album, Track 10 I think, cant remember the name though...
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Black Crows, Southern harmony album, Track 10 I think, cant remember the name though...
    "Time Will Tell"? A superb Bob Marley song! Kaya

The finest slide guitarist of all time is Ry Cooder.....
    A stunning example is 'Feeling Bad Blues' from the 'Crossroads Original Soundtrack'
    There is no finer slide guitarist nor has there ever been! Slide is all about capturing that emotion.
    On the other hand you could try to find something by my mate 'Curly' who, as a left hander, picked up my Dobro, played it 'upside down' and made it sing

......Orda
    Last edited by Orda Khan; 04-02-2005 at 21:42.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Freebird and Layla

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.