Thread: A new forum for mod news/updates

Default A new forum for mod news/updates

I have noticed a trend in the last few weeks that more and more modding teams, for example EB, Chiv:TW, and the Fourth Age: TW, have weekly/fortnightly updates.

So I was thinking that there should be a new forum within the RTW modding section that has all these update threads in it.

What do you think?

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Default Re: A new forum for mod news/updates

The big mods already have their own subforum and often also a hidden development forum. I think that that should be enough for them to communicate with their fans. Or do you just want to have a single place so you only need visit one subforum?

I thought about this a while ago too. A place where modders can advertise their mod or announce news. It might work since normal players might be more easily convinced to download a mod if it's not hidden between development.

On the other hand it means more moderation since there are bound to be people who make threads that don't belong in that forum. So if there are more arguments and opinions about this then please let it hear before I go asking Tosa.

Most of these update threads seem to have settled in the Forge which makes sense because they're all to do with developing mods. However, this does technically fly in the face of:

Quote Originally Posted by DukeJohn
    The purpose of this forum
    This forum is dedicated to the development of modifications of R:TW. Modders can make a single thread to cover their mod. Multiple threads are not allowed to avoid cluttering the forum.
    ...as of course each update is a multiple thread about the same mod.

If the moderators want to keep this aspect of the Forge then it's just a matter of finding these updates a more natural home, either a new sub-forum as Martinus suggests or - under the current system - either the Colosseum, Campus Martius or General Modification board depending on who the mod team wanted to read their news (single players, multiplayers or modders).
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Or do you just want to have a single place so you only need visit one subforum?
    Yes, there is 8 or 9 hosted mods and loads more in the Forge, it is quite a lot of clicking to find all the updates, though not all mods have an update feature. Plus if you have been away for a while it would mean looking though loads of pages to find to lastest update/info.

Another point, it will make the forge tidier.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hm, maybe a new forum for advertisments etc might be an idea, but for simple updates, I find it easier if I can just click the Forge to see the latest developments in mods...

I find it easier if I can just click the Forge to see the latest developments in mods...
    But not all mods are in the forge, some are in the hosted section.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Yep, thats bad enough already, I personally think that the Hosted Mods section should be split into MTW and RTW and moved, but we don't want to complicate things more by splitting them up further...