Thread: Fastest pleb support to start a civil war?

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Default Fastest pleb support to start a civil war?

I´m wondering how fast you can get the plebs support to start a civil war? Personally my best is 236bc and all my rival roman facs were eliminated by 224bc. I´ve tried keeping all cities at low tax with a lot of happy buildings and giving them victory upon victory. What I´m aiming at here is to get to the civil war part as fast as possible since using assasins to get outlawed doesn´t correspond to my personallity or the "Roman way". I´m also trying a "minimalistic way", that is to take as little lands as possible before the civil war, to achive my goals but this seems to take forever.

Would be great to hear your experinces guys! What fac were you playing, what strategy did you use and how did you implement it.

Default Re: Fastest pleb support to start a civil war?

I maneged to start one in 244 because The senate wanted me to kill my owne faction leader, and if not they would throw me out of the senate...
    And i also started one in 252 by trying to assasinate one of the scippii famelie members.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Well theres a way to have the popular support needed from turn 1 but that requires a bit of modding. When your close to being high on support look through your family members that have the highest plebs bonus. Make him the faction hier and you can either wait for the faction leader to die or you can lead him into combat misssion only a jedi warrior from MTW could win.

Also throw your faction leader/hier in a city and have daily games and races, usually he will pick up some good pleb traits. Theres also retinues you throw on him that increases pleb support.

1 side note changing faction hiers gives people the disinherited trait.

Also senate missions complete them all plebs like victories and hate losers
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

The earlist ive gotten one is around 230 because I managed to bribe the second starting town of the Julii (I was the Brutii) and i attempted to assasinate a Scippii

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    1 side note changing faction hiers gives people the disinherited trait.
    Haven´t seen that one yet. What´s the result of changing heirs?

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Good to see you again PseRamesses.

The disinherited trait menas 1 penalty to influence or something but I believe it might just be the influence bonus from being heir is gone.

I've personally had a civil war start in 256BC in my current Brutii game. The trick is to conquer fast and furious and complete senate missions ASAP. Use of creative convoying etc can get mission accomplished quickly. Also, luck such as being asked to first blockade and then take the same settlement plays a role.

You can cancel alliance and military access to start a civil war practically on turn 1 if you like. You'd be in a hell of a fight and be piss poor.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PseRamesses
    Haven´t seen that one yet. What´s the result of changing heirs?
    Disinherited = -1 Influence

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Good to see you again PseRamesses.
    Hey man, how are you? Great to see that you´re working hard. Wow, soon to hit 3.000 posts - yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    You can cancel alliance and military access to start a civil war practically on turn 1 if you like. You'd be in a hell of a fight and be piss poor.
    Great advice Katank. Hadn´t even though of that obvious one! Great, have to try it out this weekend, thanks! Feel up to a duel again? Want revenge for my humiliating Frech-crusade back on MTW? Muaahaahaaaaa! Just kidding, but it would be great to have a quest again. Keep in touch!

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I had a Julii campaign which ended after around 29-30 game years. The last 5-10 years were civil war, so I guess I got pleb support by around 250, but I'm not sure about the exact time it happened. I achieved it thanks to expanding quickly. My first war was against Gaul, but then I quickly also sent a force to Caralis and then on to capture Carthage. When I had reached Massilia in my gallic war I started a war with germania and held some Danube river crossings against several superior German forces until they were weakened. By then I pushed into the eastern part of Germania and my anti-gallic force had by then reached western Germania by moving for Alesia. Soon a force was given the task to conquer Celtiberia from the Gauls and then that force was beefed up and retrained there and finally conquered all of Spain. When I had conquered Gaul I sent half the force to help finishing off Germania and the other half to Britain, which was quickly conquered, as was Germania. Some time during these wars against the barbarians I also conquered Thapsus from Carthage. A strong alliance with Dacia (secured by some gifts) kept my easternmost territories safe so I could use my forces for all the other wars and only leave the eastern border weakly guarded. I soon had completed all senate missions I had recieved and had over 30 provinces when I moved troops to the spqr border, then I had pleb support and attacked.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore