Thread: Most powerful Japanese Samurai or Assasin

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Most powerful Japanese Samurai or Assasin

I don't know many of these but can someone post the different Samurai and assasins to see which ones were the most powerful. They will be measured by a combination of duels, kills, individual skill, and honour.

The one I found out about recently was Kawakami Gensai, but Im no sure as to how powerful he really was.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Default Re: Most powerful Japanese Samurai or Assasin

Miyamoto Mushashi (sp?) was allegedly the best (he wrote the book of five rings BTW)

Started at a ridiculously young age and apparently never lost a duel (I think like 60 odd IIRC)

Basically, he was double-hard

The book is easy enough to come by anyway...

I think a comparison of samurai and assasins would be largely pointless though. Assasins would not stick around to duel, (the sensible ones anyway) It is simply not their mission to engage in ritual combat.

And honour (despite what PS2 games would have us believe) was not up on their list of priorities..money and influence was an assasin clans primary motivations..

Hope the info helped.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Yes, honour was nothing to an assasin. Completing the job meant everything. An assasin also wouldn't be stupid enough to fight a samurai face-to-face, so you can't really compare the two.

Not sure what makes someone an assasin, but I agree that for the most part they had no honour. Now about the (let's call them)"warriors", who are some more with excellent talent.

Just found out something lreally interesting. Have you guys ever heard of the four hitokiri of the Bakumatsu. Amazing. Look at this link
    The funny part is that at first glance he actually looked like a girl.

Have you ever seen the anime Samurai X, or the dark Rurouni Kenshin OVAS(masterpeace IMO)? It's actually based on this fella. Really good historical anime.