Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eldar scrolls total war mod idea

Default Re: eldar scrolls total war mod idea

the map was just a version of the flat version by one of the guys here with me pasting a height and regions on that. the map is all tamriel...ummm is nirn the continent or the world? it worked ok but it wasn't big enough for nice details so i tried enlarging it and it became unusable after that. i'll upload it somewhere if i know where to do so...
    It's just a goddamn popularity contest with you kids, isn't it!
    Superintendent Chalmers

Nirn is the world. Tamriel is the continent.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Default Sv: eldar scrolls total war mod idea

Sounds like a good idea but are you sure about copyright ??
    I know that a Warcraft mod got shut down by Blizzard.

thx justiciar!

a warcraft mod would be a direct conflict of interest and draw players away from the original game as they are both within the same genre... and of course the rtw warcraft would be far more enjoyable and epic in my mind...

as far as i can tell bethesda aren't going to make an rts for the eldar scrolls anytime soon and if they did it would probably blow away anything we could come up with so it would be a non-event in terms of us taking away from their revenue...

if worse comes to worse i'll make it for my own enjoyment which is what i was doing anyway...

why would anyone make a warcraft mod for rtw? to me warcraft is a walt disney, made for the masses, rts/mmorpg with very little depth, just cliched, good for a little distracted fun... nowhere near as inspiring as rtw or tes.

tes made me interested in making mods and rtw made me interested in history...and making mods!

sorry if that's too off topic...
    Superintendent Chalmers

Have you considered joining Attrebus, hoccalugee? I'm not entirely sure if he's still going on with it, but he intends to make a mod set around the War of Betony, perhaps for M:TW 2.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

M: TW = medieval total war? is that right... but i don't have it... only RTW and BI...

also I haven't played daggerfall, which is where his map is from... so i know nothing about that area of tamriel, i don't have a feel for it...

what is inspiring me is the thought of seeing the morrowind factions, races, arms and armour en masse battling it out in the morrowind evironment...

but i still want to do an entire continent campaign too, maybe start off doing morrowind because that's what i know best then after oblivion is released and more about the cyrodiil province is revealed, expand the map...

i would certainly like to work with attrebus, but i know little about what he wants to work on... and i don't have the game he wants to produce it for, it seems...

anyway, here's the map i made of tamriel, it's the same size as the base rtw map. it's just the shape and the base provinces, for modders interest only...
    as you can see the small size of the map makes for a very generalised shape of vaardenfell...

if you want to see it in the game you need duke john's modding campaign template, here - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50452...

i tried enlarging the map to double size and it didn't work... is there a maximum map size?

[IMG]https://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9881/mapregions3mw.gif[/IMG
    Superintendent Chalmers

so what's the story with "you may not edit your posts"?

Superintendent Chalmers

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

M2:TW is the next TW game that is being developed.

And i believe you can't edit posts because you are a junior member.

What's all this nonsense about spelling it's abbreviation; M2:TW? It's Medieval: Total War 2, incase you've forgotten. It's CA's next game, Hoccalugee, with it's own forum here on .org. Take a look.

I haven't played Daggerfall either, but it's still Tamriel, and has some top notch lore behind it.

This is an interesting idea.

I would set the game post-Elder Scrolls IV though. By then the Empire's holdings have more or less collapsed because of an exhausting war against the Daedra, and we have a more likely set up for the massive wars between the civilizations.

I do not know what is possible with mods and what isn't, so bear with me.

Suggestions:

Imperials -
    *Light and Medium Infantry, carrying large shields and spears or broadswords
    *both armored Crossbowmen and armored Archers
    *minimal cavalry
    *superb forts, good trade, skilled diplomats, incorporate the "Voice of the Emperor" ability
    *make sure to establish the different sorts of Infantry seen in Morrowind - we had the standard units, the more elite red/gold units which looked Roman, and the highest class of silver wearing guards used to protect the royalty in Ebonheart
    *vulnerable to magic

Nords -
    *barbarian civilization
    *good navy
    *next to no Archers/Cavalry/mages
    *Nords were immune to Frost damage and resistant to shock damage
    *frost bite, a low level close range magic spell could be incorporated
    *generally high HP/low armor units which favor 2 handed swords and axes
    *armored elite unit
    *incorporate the shield ability they had in Morrowind, which significantly reduced damage for a short period of time (something like "Warcry", which instead of boosting morale gives them the statistical equivalent of armor for 30 secs or so)

Orcs
    *barbarian civilization
    *next to no Archers/Cavalry/mages
    *medium/heavy armor infantry
    *give them quite a few armor upgrades
    *high HP
    *axes/blunt weapons
    *moderately resistant to magic

Bretons
    *magic based civilization
    *elite unit is an armored battlemage
    *resistant to magic
    *Bretons, like the Nords, have a shield ability
    *increased ammunition for magic users (if possible)
    *low HP units, mostly unarmored

Wood Elves/Bosmer
    *archer based civilization with Longbows
    *good ambush ability in forests
    *fairly swift units/low HP
    *light armor
    *few mages/cavalry/infantry units
    *infantry units should carry mostly short swords
    *resistant to disease
    *given their ability to communicate with animals, you can either give them animal units or some sort of economic bonus that incorporates this
    *weak buildings

High Elves/Altmer
    *magic based civilization
    *greatly increased ammunition for magic users
    *most high powered offensive magic
    *weakness to fire, frost, shock, and other magical spells
    *can summon melee units (mostly Dremoras, a highly armored Infantry unit - I would use them as a 1 turn mercenary unit if possible)

Argonians
    *fast moving units
    *medium/light armor
    *lots of spears
    *no cavalry/few archers
    *emphasis on guerilla abilities, ambush along coastlines/water areas
    *possible for units to swim through lakes instead of circumvent them?
    *resistant to disease
    *immune to poison, which could be incorporated through poison spells, poison arrows, or just an increased resistance to assassins

Redguards
    *wide variety of heavily and medium armored infantry, including exceptional swordsmen and above average axe users/blunt weapon users
    *though not fast, faster than average armored units
    *Resist poison/disease
    *Adrenaline Rush ability work as a souped up Warcry
    *few mages/archers/cavalry
    *slightly weaker than normal against magic

Dark Elves/Dunmer

This one is a bit hard, as we either come up with an incredibly versatile civilization, or have to break then down into factions - I will go with the former and the suggestion that the choice of "Great House" be like the choice in what Temple to build, each giving a specific unit you can build

*solid generic Dunmer Archer units
    *solid generic Dunmer Mage units
    *solid generic lightly armored sword using infantry
    *minimal cavalry
    *House Telvanni - ability to create good offensive mages, possibly summoning ability
    *House Redoran - superb heavy infantry units
    *House Hlaalu - I would suggest a weak Light Infantry unit to go with above average spies and a trade bonus
    *House Dres - farming bonus, reasonably good medium/heavy infantry
    *House Indoril - somewhat religion oriented units and a morale bonus to Ordinators
    *Ashlander units - good ambushing light infantry and archers
    *Ordinators - well armored mace carrying infantry
    *Buoyant Armigers - I normally saw them wearing Glass Armor, which suggests Light Infantry - in any case, they should be extremely skilled swordsmen - I thought they were on average the best warriors of any faction in Morrowind

Khajiit
    *beast race
    *fast, good ambushers, lightly armored
    *some units should fight with their claws
    *"Eye of Fear" bonus should be incorporated, reducing the morale of their enemies
    *no mages/cavalry
    *Spies have no upkeep costs when in enemy cities (thieves)

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar
    Have you considered joining Attrebus, hoccalugee? I'm not entirely sure if he's still going on with it, but he intends to make a mod set around the War of Betony, perhaps for M:TW 2.
    I'll join, yet I'm also trying to find a way to edit the campaign map and such for my Betony: Total War mod set in Hammerfall.

Since I dont have Photoshop or something, and PAINT doesnt want to open the files, I'm pretty screwed as of now with that.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to have Races as factions.. setting it after Oblivion could work, but I for one haven't played it, and so I know nothing of the games' events or ending. Aye, I'm a purist. Shock horror. If you do a Tamriel wide map, I'd say start it after Cuhlecain's assassination (2E 855-3E 200, 241 years in total, mebbe). Plenty of conflict.

Thats what I told htem on page one...there are almost a dozen factions per province, and to combine them into one faction per province would be as anachronistic as using one faction for the Barbarians, or 3 Roman factions, etc.

i'll see if i can knock up a bretony map for you within a couple of days if you want attrebus... i was going to do one anyway as i saw the map you had and it looked like a good one to do, lots of provinces with the outlines clearly marked and named...unless you want to do it yourself of course
    Superintendent Chalmers

attrebus...does anyone have a more detailed version of that betony map ie higher res?

so i am a junior...wow cool! i feel much younger now!

how do i advance in rank?

and why doesn't the powers that be change the ranking system to something more suitable... add a little more flavour...

like using legionary...decurion...centurion...that kind of stuff...

maybe i should keep the suggestions for until i'm a higher rank...
    Superintendent Chalmers

hay attrebus this might be useful for you

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

it's a free graphics editing application called gimp
    Superintendent Chalmers

here's something else that might be of help:

https://img207.imageshack.us/img207/...heights8tp.gif

https://img207.imageshack.us/img207/...regions5ez.gif

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

how do i advance in rank? ...etc
    obviously not by asking foolish noob questions...
    Superintendent Chalmers

Quote Originally Posted by Attrebus
    Thats what I told htem on page one...there are almost a dozen factions per province, and to combine them into one faction per province would be as anachronistic as using one faction for the Barbarians, or 3 Roman factions, etc.
    Well you wouldn't make 1 faction per province.

I would split up Vvardenfell, for instance, into the Ascadian Isles, Bitter Coast, West Gash, Ashlands, Sheogorad, etc. The Empire has withdrawn from Vvardenfell, so they wouldn't be there. Neither would anyone but the Nords in the North.

Post Morrowind, most Dunmer groups have been united AFAIK. Even the Temple is supposed to be reaching out to the Dissidents. I don't think it's a huge stretch to have one faction represent them. The replacement of Temples with the choice of a House reflects the divisions within the society.

I don't think we even have enough information on the warriors of each House to create seperate civs for them anyway. Just a couple generic Bonemold units for the 3 Houses in Vvardenfell and the armors we see in the expansion.

any comments to improve the map are appreciated...
    borders...city locations...port locations, wasn't sure about some...

i'm picturing a lot of standard units from all over tamriel, so that people will be able to create most of the campaigns they are thinking of...technology doesn't seem to advance much in fantasy worlds so bonemold armour 200 years before will be pretty similar to bonemold armour 200 years later, the exception being maybe the imperials, as they may have improved units and tactics to have conquered tamriel...

my campaign map of tamriel wasn't meant to suggest that i thought the game should have these races and provinces, it's just as far as i got before i thought it needed to be bigger and more detailed to fit in the morrowind factions/sub provinces and also i didn't know how and where the other major provinces would be split into sub provinces...

there's a map of morrowind that shows the factions and their borders that was on a number of the tamriel lore sites and i had started making that one too...i would like the mod to remain as close to the original elder scrolls games as much as possible so really if that is going to happen we can only make a playable game from the betony/daggerfall or morrowind maps atm as these are the only detailed province maps i have found...
    Superintendent Chalmers

Great map, and thanks for the program link. Maybe now I can finally get to work on it in earnest with those maps as a base, if you dont mind, of course.

that's why i posted them, so they can be of use to others as well, if you need the .tga files let me know...

i'm about half way through the height map, and if you like i'll leave it with you after that and start on the morrowind/vaardenfell map...
    Superintendent Chalmers

I like morrowind im sure i can help in some way.

cool kburket, what can you do?

i doubt this mod will ever get off the ground but i'm gonna keep posting stuff like this:

any constructive criticism?

there seems to be some difference between how the texture looks in max and in RTW... most noticeably the side of the head, some areas on the upper front torso, the upper arms and the texture of the left pauldron seems to be upside down...are these things normal?

still have some un-alpha-ed fringes around the shield to improve and horns have to be attached to the groin area (ahem)...

a bit over 800 polys.

i don't think this mod should get too serious...
    Superintendent Chalmers

Very nice screens !
    This are Redoran City Guards,aren't they ;) ?
    We're makeing the morrowind total war mod too !
    Maybe we can cooperate :D

Link
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...09#post1081609

Btw.
    Map is sweet ! GJ !

No "Edit" option here?
    Well...
    Sorry, i haven't known that you are the person who comment our screens :D

hi scorp!

these guys are the hlaalu city guards called lawmakers i think...

or maybe that's just their rank in house hlaalu...

won't take much effort to make them redoran though.

yes, lets work together and continue discussion in the forge forum and by email.
    Superintendent Chalmers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12