Thread: Curious about replays

Enjoying Life Member AssasinsShadow's Avatar

Default Curious about replays

I wasn't entirely sure if I should put this here, or somewhere else, but I think it deals enough with modding. I was wondering if it is somehow possible to convert replays to a format compatible with windows media player. I'm guessing this isn't possible, but if it is, then one could make intros movies, victory/defeat/wonder clips and so on that are unique to their mod (i.e. featuring units and things from their mods). If this was mentioned earlier, could I please be directed to that thread. Thanks
    Everyone in the entire world has a photographic memory... but only a select few have film.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Curious about replays

There are many programs availiable (I think for free), which take a video of your screen. So if you play the replay with that in the background that should work.

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

replay files save army composition and player commands (what mouseclicks where issued when). It's a "replay" in every meaning of the word. So there is no way to "convert" it into a movie file (that is built from sequentive images). But like Myrddraal said there are tools that can record what happens on the screen and save it into an avi/movie format file (FRAPS for example).
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Enjoying Life Member AssasinsShadow's Avatar

Thanks a bunch guys. I may know next to nothing about modding, but at least I can do something now.
    Everyone in the entire world has a photographic memory... but only a select few have film.