Thread: ninjas and daimyos (helper)

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

1. Ninjas are useful, no matter what everybody says (re:Useless ninja threads).

2. Attacks against Daimyos esconced in their castles will almost always fail, no matter what the given odds.

3. Attacks against Daimyos in the same season that they "are on the move" will usually succeed. I.E. you move to assassinate on the same turn a daimyo moves to a different province.

4. Attacks against stationary Daimyos outside a castle gives odds in between #3 and #2. If he is the only army (no other banners) in that province, the chances of success improve.

5. A successful kill against an attacking Daimyo still means you will have to fight the army (with Daimyo and boyguard present in attacking force) before the Daimyo is removed.

6. A level 5 ninja is good enough for most jobs, but a level 0 Shinbi can catch a level 9 ninja.

7. Assassination attempts in provinces with two enemy agents will usually fail, no matter what the odds. (Or, if successful, your ninja will be caught and killed afterward.)

8. Ninja use improves and becomes more important with each level of difficulty. If the game is set to Easy, your ninjas will fail more often (and so with your opponents.)

This is not comprehensive. It is simply some info I have accumulated over playing several games with the intention of using ninjas heavily. I even managed to eliminate all enemy Daimyos using nothing but ninjas and without saving and reloading -it got expensive, and I hated losing some of my higher level ninjas, but it was the only way to check results- besides, if you move to assassinate and then save, when you resume your game, your agents are all reset to 'spy' or 'counterspy' mode so you have to do it all over again anyway.

agreed. ninjas are the most versitile unit (beside geisha who is a little... you know), he can counterspy, assasinate, spy, and it is inexpensive for what you get. i found having roving bands of ninjas across japan can give you a huuuuge edge over the other clans. on imagwa hard i had taken over the eastern half of japan and now had to face a strong mori enemy. witht the help of my 10+ ninjas i would kill every general b4 entering battle thus tiping the scale in my favor. so i say HOOORAA to the ninja.

-Remember today is the first day of the rest of your life!-

A member of Clan Doragon

If you can read this you don't need glasses

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I too like my ninja's!solypsist how do you anticipate when the Daimyo you are targeting is going to move to increase your chances of success?Do you just get lucky with this or what?My ninja always manages to follow into a province with a borderfort and ends up rice
    paddy fertilizer.I like the extensive research you have done on this subject,thanks for the new ideas!
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

You can usually anticipate when a Daimyo is going to move by a few ways:

1. He suddenly appears from out of his castle.
    2. A neighboring province is either low on defenders or has none at all (you can sometimes bait a Daimyo by abandoning/weaking a province next to the one he occupies). Take notice of when his banner neighbors ronin provinces.
    3. You have noticed the Daimyo move a few provinces already - usually when the older Daimyo is killed and an heir is situated in the back when he takes over.