Thread: RTW sub-forum proposal: Rants/Raves

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default RTW sub-forum proposal: Rants/Raves

I'm tired of seeing people complain about RTW on a daily basis in the Colisseum. I roll my eyes each time there's a new thread about "protest this" or "boycott that". The number of threads I actually want to see that do not deal with complaining about CA or whatever (IE: "Fastest pleb support for civil war") is staggeringly low.
    So why not have another sub-forum for RTW Singleplayer specifically for rants and raves and boycotts (oh my!)? Call it the Execution Square in honor of the +Law building for the Egyptians and other similar factions.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Re: RTW sub-forum proposal: Rants/Raves

Sadly, I believe it would hardly stop spilling those who, perhaps, excessively complain in to Colosseum. And it might appear that we are little hostile towards CA, organizing a rant and raves forum for that purpose alone, no matter with what attention. But TosaInu-sama might decide otherwise.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The current state of the Colisseum makes the Org seem totally hostile to CA. That's why there's "Rave" tacked on to "Rants". If it was just a ranting forum, then yes it would seem like the Org is completely hostile, but it can also give people a place to praise the game. Plus it would weed out the bad posts that are unneeded in the Colisseum and put them into a more isolated area where I can just simply ignore them.
    Oddly enough, I used to hate the game with all my guts, but now I cant seem to put it down.

I like your idea kekvitare ... I hate the waythe people who hate the game take over the Colloseum and knock positive threads down.. I enjoy the game for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    I used to hate the game with all my guts, but now I cant seem to put it down.
    Eh, I wish I could become a believer too, while we are at it… What is your secret!?!

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voigtkampf
    Sadly, I believe it would hardly stop spilling those who, perhaps, excessively complain in to Colosseum. And it might appear that we are little hostile towards CA, organizing a rant and raves forum for that purpose alone, no matter with what attention. But TosaInu-sama might decide otherwise.
    I agree with voigtkampf completely

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

I don't think we need a special sub-forum just to encourage this sort of behaviour. Our Backroom serves as a form of "Rants and Raves" forum. Maybe the solution is to transfer these threads to the Backroom since it has turned into a consumer affairs issue and not a straight RTW issue. Of course, the constructive thread in the Ludus Magna can stay where it is as it is concerned directly to the load/save bug. That is my thought on this issue.
    This space intentionally left blank

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

I agree with voigtkampf, ichi, and Gregoshi.

Nelson and Catiline have set boundaries on what they consider appropriate when discussing these issues. Org patrons have been annoyed with CA before, and no doubt will be annoyed again. I reckon things will settle down in a while, once people have spent their frustration.
    Last edited by therother; 04-08-2005 at 00:13.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    Maybe the solution is to transfer these threads to the Backroom...
    Oh, yes, by all means, we are on shortage of all troublemakers in Backroom, please import some from the Colloseum!

Thanks a lot, Gregoshi-sama!

Yeah, I thought about that voigtkampf, I just didn't want to mention it. But I wouldn't want your job to become boring and routine. Moving the threads would bring in fresh faces and fresh argu...uh discussions. Or so my twisted logic goes.
    This space intentionally left blank

Hang 'em high greg...we welcome all comers in the backroom...I am not sure they'll be able to keep up the heat like the regulars though

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello kekvitirae,

There won't be a Rants forum to support/encourage boycot actions, petitions, threats, insults or bad language. If one has a problem with a TW title or just doesn't like it he/she can post in the normal forums in an acceptable way. People invading every topic telling how bad everything is or crossing the line with unacceptable behavior (in other words spoil the fun for others), will become testdummies for the new warning system.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually it is not even that there is a significant number of rants in the Colosseum, it is also that most of them bring up the exact same issues over and over again.
    (I even suspect, they read each other´s rants and then post them with a weeks difference from each other...)

Anyway, leaving conspiracy theories, an example: how many times has the "egyptian axemen" issue been brought up?

And everytime in a different thread. IMHO it is just as spam as the Tavern´s "spam thread".

Also, a creation of a "Rant" subforum wouldnt encourage further proliferation of these threads IMHO as noone would actually admit to himself he posted in a "whiners' forum" inverse psychology could be worth a try. IMO it could make the mods' work a bit easier.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Anyway, leaving conspiracy theories, an example: how many times has the "egyptian axemen" issue been brought up?
    LOL, those poor maligned axemen.

Honestly, I think it will die down after awhile. There is a pervasive sense of betrayal and some have taken it rather personally. Much of the venting at the .org is most likely the result of the cork put in the vent at .com. The sentiment builds up pressure and will find release somewhere. When they closed the lengthy threads at .com, they were immediately bombarded with dozens of little threads. It's like walking up and kicking a fire ant mound.

The real concern I have is what CA posts this coming Monday in response to the outrage concerning the last official response the previous Monday. That last one really fanned the flames. If CA turns a deaf ear, it will probably allow things to begin to settle. However, it also will "set" the sentiment toward CA, RTW, and perhaps the expansion pack--not a good thing in my estimation. Personally, if it was my product, I would be moving heaven and earth to do something positive to make sure the present sentiment is not the final verdict. However, I thought the same before CA's last "official response."

(In CA's position I would even go so far as promising to address some of the *current* problems in an RTW patch scheduled for slightly before the expansion pack. The issues need to be addressed for the Xpack anyway so once they are addressed, put out a patch for testing while you wrap up the Xpack. It builds back some goodwill while killing two birds with one stone. CA could explain that manpower wise there is no way to fix the issues ahead of that, but that CA wants to address them rather than appear to be using the bug fixes as leverage for selling the Xpack.)
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must disagree with the prospect of a rant/rave forum.

If a thread is constructively criticizing CA (ie not just saying 'you suck', but 'your support is lousy because of your refusal to aknowledge the bug'), then it should be allowed. Whether in the Collesium - I don't know, but I'd think it would be better than the backroom, because the support is closely related to the game.

If a thread devolves into flaming CA, then one can lock it.

One of the reasons I'm against such a forum is how CA has used it. They move everything they don't want to hear there. The Ord, however, should be open to all to reasonably discuss the issues with the game. Many of the threads aren't just flame fests. I guess there's no reason to start a flame forum, which it would be.

And doesn't the Collesium have a known issues sticky? Perhaps if a mod edited the begining to summarize all the known issues so people could check to see if something had been brought up before.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

well, since i'm starting to be labelled as a "ranter", and since many of such threads in the colisseum keep getting closed anyway, might as well start an RnR forum. i'll grudingly support it.