Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTW Expansion announced

Default Re: RTW Expansion announced

Hurah ! it trulley is a great day !

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

At the beginning of this month, I noticed that the expansion pack was available to pre-eorder at my work. It seems we had some prior warning about its release date.

P.S: I am uncertain about how many copies we'll get so I ould advise pre-ordering this. Nothing worse than coming up empty when you go to store to pick this up.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light
    At the beginning of this month, I noticed that the expansion pack was available to pre-eorder at my work. It seems we had some prior warning about its release date.

P.S: I am uncertain about how many copies we'll get so I ould advise pre-ordering this. Nothing worse than coming up empty when you go to store to pick this up.
    Hah, well, I would advise NOT preordering. As a matter of fact, I would advise waiting at least 90 days to see what kind of bugs, er... unwanted features remain after 2 hasty patches have been done.

Have we learned nothing from the previous release?
    "If you demand CA or any company absorb the cost of a future patch, the upfront price rises or you buy a subscription for continuous service. The latter is not available.
    " - killemall54
    "An expansion should be a free standing new feature product, not a bug fixing enticement." - Old Celt

Quote Originally Posted by Old Celt
    Hah, well, I would advise NOT preordering. As a matter of fact, I would advise waiting at least 90 days to see what kind of bugs, er... unwanted features remain after 2 hasty patches have been done.

Have we learned nothing from the previous release?

I Whole heartedly agree

Yup, I am not planning on buying it unless I see some good proof that almost all my beefs with the game are fixed and that no significant new ones have been created.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

One more in agreement.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yup waiting 2 months for the original RTW washn't enough. 6 months seems best. And even then the beta testers-er, customers might night have found anything.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Thankfully Demon appears to be willing to beta test the expansion for us cynics, for which he deserves much gratitude. The advantage of cynicism is that all your surprises are pleasant ones, and this is a case where I would dearly love to be surprised.
    "Let us wrestle with the ineffable and see if we may not, in fact, eff it after all." -Dirk Gently, character of the late great Douglas Adams.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

So is anyone buying the expansion straight away? CA will go out of business if it doesn't come up trumps!

Sure Rome has its problems but what game doesn't? I for one will be buying it the day it comes out, especially now it seems to be a "Fall of Rome" one rather than an Alexander add-on. I just hope CA have increased the modding possibilites (like being able to add factions if you're reading this CA)

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

If I wasnt going into the army soon, I'd preorder it almost immidiately

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    So is anyone buying the expansion straight away? CA will go out of business if it doesn't come up trumps!
    This is why their refusal to deal with the load AI issue is so frustrating for me. I very much doubt anyone who has experienced it will be rushing out to buy the XP, and the last thing CA needs is frustrated fans warning people off the XP because something as fundamental as saving the game is broken.
    "Let us wrestle with the ineffable and see if we may not, in fact, eff it after all." -Dirk Gently, character of the late great Douglas Adams.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Only thing that seems odd is that it got into a gaming magazine before the internet. I guess they could have payed for marketing rights in hopes of increased sales.

So how long until an official announcement from CA. and anyone have an idea on the start date 14 AD perhaps.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I will be buying it very soon after its release, I know what the bugs are and they can be annoying, but the gtame is still very fun.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Pode
    Thankfully Demon appears to be willing to beta test the expansion for us cynics, for which he deserves much gratitude. The advantage of cynicism is that all your surprises are pleasant ones, and this is a case where I would dearly love to be surprised.
    To be perfectly honest, I'm inviting sombody else to beta test it. I WISH I could test it but policy dictates that I can only check out console games for free. (they can be easily repackaged) Computer games are a different story. I'd actually have to buy the sucker knowing full well that I can't return it. That sounds less than attractive.

I am also noting that interested parties might want to reserve the expansion if they intend to buy it. Being that this is an expansion, there likely won't be so many copies shipped to stores. Also, a product of my work environment is that I habitually advise people to reserve games. Literally, my response to queries regarding upcoming games is "Blah Bla blaa, did you want to reserve that?"
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    If I wasnt going into the army soon, I'd preorder it almost immidiately
    Join the Marines. You have a higher chance of surviving in a unit with greater cohesion.

Hasn't the Total War series taught you anything? Elite units always fare better!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. The Corps has been great to me.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

I'll buy it, just so I can install the EB adaptation to it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    I really think this is unsubstantiated. I looked at both rtw heaven and gameworld or wahtever the site was that was linked there.

I can't find anything on this.

Unless you are trying to start a fire in this forum, I suggest that you post something substantial to back up your coments.

Not that you are a liar, I just think that you should support your claim with a decent quote and persistent link to the actual web page. RTW Heaven is not good enough.

I hope you are right. Bugs and all, I will pre order. I am a slave to TW.
    Errr ... if you click on my link you will see the news right there on the front page of RTW heaven web page. They have the info I am quoting and a link right there. Try doing more than glancing at comments, try reading them thoroughly before you get your panties in a bunch

I would wait 6 months after release before deciding getting a copy, like many others. CA had taught me alot over the past 2 months!

The broad details of what/when the expansion is are irrelevant.
    Its the little details like bugs/target market/design decisions where most of the TW community is going to decide for/against buying the expansion.

PS: sod signing up to be an institutionalised murderer.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

I will probably wait about 2 weeks after its release. Hopefully C.A would of sorted out the bugs and improved gameplay a bit by the release of it.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by thisismyusername
    Errr ... if you click on my link you will see the news right there on the front page of RTW heaven web page. They have the info I am quoting and a link right there. Try doing more than glancing at comments, try reading them thoroughly before you get your panties in a bunch
    I think you missed my point lad. I'm looking for info beyond a 3rd party comment such as rtw heaven. The link they have does not give you any info. It goes to the magazine and then you have to search for it.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Well....i was looking for some info on this expansion announcement and all i read is some marine vs. army and the army vs. marines. I thought this thread was about an announcement, but it's only some magazine saying that there is an expansion coming for RTW, and as far as i know, the current (april issue) magazine is written always 2 months behind (so it was written in february), just as almost all magazines. I don't see any real confirmation or proof of any expansion, not even on the .com website. All i see is a big "spartan warrior" written on the top and the old stuff below.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Sega bought CA didn't they ? Maybe there won't be an expansion then, maybe they'll do a stand alone or a new game instead, depends on legal issues I guess.

I hope CA kept the Total War license...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

By the way here is the news on game stop:

http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?s....x=14&find.y=7

$34.99? That may or may not be accurate I guess but that's a bit more then I'm willing to pay for an expansion pack. It's ure is way more then I'm willing to pay for a patch.
    My mind about buying it has just been made up. I wasn't too sure anyway with certain 'features' most likely not repaired and if TW remains the non challenge it has proven to be that's my love affair with the series over.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

It wont matter anyway. With a release date of 10/17, I'm pretty sure there will be another patch until then. That's half a year away

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    It wont matter anyway. With a release date of 10/17, I'm pretty sure there will be another patch until then. That's half a year away
    one can only hope... just don't use the word "sure". you might find yourself taking that back...

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

I'm glad they chose something easy like an obvious XP, one that almost everyone knew was coming; even down to the name "Barbarian Invasion".

Hopefully this easy task will give them time to take RTW in it's rough finish, sand it down, give it a new finish, and polish any problems out.

I'd rather just get a new campaign plus some new factions like Goths etc with NO new features as long as the game is bug free. Why start adding new, expansive new technologies to a game that isn't even finished itself (you all know what I mean). To do so would be reminiscent of putting a 300HP engine in a Honda Civic which has a body which is rusting through, the floor pans are giving out and what you have in the end is an engine with amazing potential yet flaws in the housing so that you can't even experience the joys of such a monster without the door falling off.

One thing at a time, please. I know this game has potential, please harness it.
    robotica erotica

I'll put this in capital letters

THERE IS AN EXPANSION. IT IS MORE THAN ALLEGED.

If you can reserve a game at Gamestop, you can sure as hell bet that it is guarenteed to come out. I believe the date supplied (10-17) is accurate but that might change. What is certain though is (again the the cap lock) THERE IS AN EXPANSION AND YOU CAN RESERVE IT AT GAMESTOP (or more than likely any other damn store you want to reserve it at).

By the expansion, you mean patch 1.3 for Rome which we as the consumer helped fund.
    Last edited by Turbo; 04-11-2005 at 22:38.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast