Poll: Spam. . . .

Thread: Spam - Benign Cyst or Malignant Tumor?

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Default Spam - Benign Cyst or Malignant Tumor?

How do you feel about spam?

Personally I don't see much need for it, and if it causes trouble for the system (database oddities, slowness, or more work for the mods) then I think that the harm outwieghs the benefit. I have been known to post one-liners tho.

But it seems as though some folks really like to post one or two words, the One Word Story and other spam threads are proof of this.

Please

This is not a spam thread. I'd like to have a decent dialogue about this.

Wha d'ya think?

ichi

Note: the third option should read $u>< but apparently the poll reads the < as code so . . . and I cant edit that Gah!
    Last edited by ichi; 04-09-2005 at 01:43. Reason: i have spam on the brain
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Spam - Benign Cyst or Malignant Tumor?

It wouldn't even be an issue if post count were not both public and a key for unlocking certain avatars. In the absence of any other currency, some folks feel that their post count becomes ... I don't know, a measurement of their Orgness or something.

Seems more than a little silly, but there you have it.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

There is only very short posts like the one I just made. Postcount +1

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I think spam is for the most part bad, I have only done it a couple of times and have not done it for quite a while and hopefully will not for quite some time. Every now and then it is ok if it has some meaning/value, but for the most part it is a tumor that we should cut out, not possible I just like to say that...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

i put in 1 vote for each

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

The not so Almighty Member Pausanias828's Avatar

I voted for, "can be fun when done properly, but it rarely is".

It wouldn't even be an issue if post count were not both public and a key for unlocking certain avatars. In the absence of any other currency, some folks feel that their post count becomes ... I don't know, a measurement of their Orgness or something.
    I have to disagree with that to a certain extent, as, although some people obviously do what you have mentioned, not everyone who posts one liners, or takes part in threads like, the one word story thread do it just for a high post count. I can only speak for my self, but I haven't posted anything, ever, just to get my post count up, that goes for any Forum that I belong to. I can honestly say that, even if the post count is removed, I would still take part in those sort of threads.

Some of the things that people refer to as spam aren't really in my mind. One example, someone tells a funny story/joke or something similar, then half a dozen people post one liners like "very funny" or "roflmao". As the original poster has no idea if you laughed at it, without telling him, he may feel that nobody found it funny, and so may refrain from posting funny jokes,stories etc in the future.

Also, after a hard day at work, sometimes you just want a bit of fun, instead of being completely serious all the time. That's why, for my part anyway, I feel that there should be a few so called spam threads on every Forum, and as long as they don't get out of hand, people can have their fun in those, and then find the more serious threads to post in. Otherwise, you will get people posting "spam" in threads they probably otherwise wouldn't.

By the way, here is the definition of spam from the FAQ's on this site.
    Posts containing "spam", such as advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations. Recommending a game you in your opinion like is not wrong, as long as you are not trying to sell it. User accounts created exclusively for the purpose of posting inconsequential advertisements will be unceremoniously banned.
    And from the ToS at the TWC.
    Spamming
    Posts that clearly advertise a service or product are not allowed, unless the forum provides an "advertising" board. This includes, but is not limited to:
    Unsolicited commercial or personal web site advertisements
    For-Sale/For-Trade/For-Auction/Wanted notices
    "Make Money Fast" scams, chain letters, and pyramid schemes
    Advertising for another message board (even other Ogre's Network boards)
    Users are allowed to include a web site address in a signature, request comments on their personal site in a social setting, or providing only once an interesting or relevant link to another site.
    These are only my opinions though, and I can only speak, as I said before, for my self.
    Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all
    Ypatia (350-370? – 415) AD
    Free beer, ok I lied, just a new Forum

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I feel no need to participate in the spam-threads, but I don't see the problem either. Why not have some fun. If it stays in the frontroom that is, isn't that what the frontroom is made for?
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-09-2005 at 08:43.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I don't have a problem with spam, so long as it stays in designated threads, and there aren't too many of those threads.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Malignant tumor.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Let people do what they like as long as it dsnt afect other people why not !

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

The majority of people have either gone for 'can be fun' or 'mmmm....spam'.

Doesn't require much to know what i picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

depends if it is just silly posts or pure number increasing stuff, and if it is done in a particular and suitable thread or all over the place. I ended up making a spam thread not long after joining by making a thread titled "Don't read this thread" or similar... and it was a serious topic thread in my mind. But it ended up being spam like... two posts in...that was a bit annoying.

Frankenspam.
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

It can be fun and good if done properly, but it often isn't.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Post count +1

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I voted for every single one. After all, in these crazy times, who's to say what's spam and what isn't.
    Post count+1
    I mean, er...rational discusion +3.475%
    Crazed Rabbit
    Seriously, as long as it stays in designated frontroom threads, I've got no problems with it.
    Oh, and a US spammer was just sentenced to 9 years. I hope they send him to a max security, aggravated assualt type prison.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

oh my god, look all those people lie. tsssss hasn't your mommy learned you that you have to speak the truth

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Erm...what the heck was that all about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Spam? I have to say I quite like Spam, even though it is "of the lower classes". Yes, I am partial to a bit of tinned ham, now and again. Although it is a bit random topic for a poll...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior