Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod (Now V2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo
    I think that would make a lot of sense. Making this sort of mod (single faction, or single culture, and designed to fit in with the vanilla game) is a great way to start modding, because you can start small, with a few improvements, and build up the mod as you learn how to do more things.

I think one reason why there are so few mods like this is that people start out with much larger ambitions, and it takes a long time for them to get to a public release version (EB actually started out as just a barbarian mod!). I started with very modest ambitions - I just wanted to add a few units to the GCS - and so I was able to make my first public release within 12 hours of deciding to make the mod.
    my point exactly, if these moddlers start small it doesnt matter
    so any plans for more mods such as these ?
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

I don't plan to do any other mods. The MGM and XGM take up a lot of time as it is. Of course I would be more than happy to help someone else get started on another culture mod.

This sounds great. :-)
    I installed it and started a game but not got much time at the moment.
    In the original it was quite easy to beat the AI when you were fighting greeks (e.g. get lots of cavalry, get the phalanxes out of formation and hit them with the cavalry from behind first.)
    Will the extra units and things mean the AI'll have more non-phalanx units and be able to fight off cavalry better? If so I was thinking of playing the Brutii again if it's more of a challenge.

(Sorry for the Noob question. I don't know anything about modding.)

Also, with regards to the looking at other factions etc... how easy would it be to get them working with this one rather than instead. I see lots of mods for single or multiple factions but I suspect they'll modify the same files and not work together. It'd be really nice, for example, if greeks and egypts were both modded to be able to take the new greek stuff against the new egypt stuff.
    Does that make any sense?

And finally, does this mod only alter the data directory?
    It'd be nice to not have to back up everything per mod I try.

Thanks for your patience with my noob-ness :-)

-The Greek Cities, Macedon, and Thrace should all be tougher opponents. But it is hard to say how much tougher - it can take them a while to get to the really good new units. All of the AI factions will do a little better as a result of some universal changes.

-Unfortunately mixing mods usually won't work. Other faction specific mods will change many of the same files, so the mods will over-write each other when you install them.

-All the changes are made to files in the data directory, so that is the only folder you need to make a back-up of.

A new version of the Minimal Greek Mod is out.

You can download it here.

1. All Greek factions will be playable.
    2. The new naval units are dropped, but Greek ports give +1 exp.
    3. Naval temple is adoptable by all Roman and Greek factions.
    4. Corvus and Deceres are recruitable by all Greek factions with a naval temple.
    5. Thessalians are dropped, but GCS get Companions, recruitable anywhere.
    6. New general units are dropped, but vanilla units will be improved slightly.
    7. Otherwise the unit line-up is the same as XGM.
    8. More community bug fixes are included.

I installed the Mundus Magnus map, then the extended greek mod and everything appeared to be working fine. However, sometimes during the AI's turn I get CTDs. As I save regularly it's only really a pain if I've just fought a big battle where I was attacked and didn't capture a city as a result of the battle. So a few questions:

Is there any way I can find out what has gone wrong to let you know?

Is there any way to make it auto-save after a battle?
    (I can save after the battle if I capture a city, or if there is another battle can save just prior to that, but if it goes through a battle and then straight on to the rest of the AI's turn then I don't get a chance to save before it crashes.)

Is there anything obvious I could have done wrong? It usually seems to crash somewhere near the rebels turn, or at least in a faction near the end.

On to feedback:

May be my imagination/luck but Macadonians seem to recruit more cavalry which is good - makes it harder to beat them :-)

The romans can upgrade someof the greek temples to their own if they have temples with similar abilities. As Brutii beating the greeks it'd often let me upgrade their captured level 1 temples to level 2 of my own. Not a problem because I just don't do it but I thought maybe mention it as it may be to do with allowing greek factions to use each others' temples. I really don't think it's a problem tho as most people using the greeks mod will be playing greeks anyway I assume :-) (As I will be next, I just wondered what Brutii'd make of the new greeks.)

Doh! Before someone else points hout how stupid I am, maybe I should check that it's not the naval temples that are being adopted - doh! Sorry about that as it could well be.
    (Not at home so can't check.)

JasonA - After you installed MM and XGM, did you run the XGM-MM installer in the Extras folder? The steps should look like this:

1. Install RTW
    2. Install the 1.2 patch.
    3. Install MM.
    4. Install XGM.
    5. Run the XGM-MM installer from Extras.

Roman and Greek factions can adopt temples from their own culture and, because the same temple types are used by other cultures, they can often adopt temples from other cultures as well. For the Greeks that means there are only a handful of temples that they can't upgrade.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Do you have any plans to release a version of this mod using a smaller map more centralized around the Hellenic Peninsula and the Near East ?
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Al Khalifah - I don't plan to make any new maps, but if you know of a suitable map in another mod I would be happy to make inquiries about including it in XGM.

JasonA - After you installed MM and XGM, did you run the XGM-MM installer in the Extras folder? The steps should look like this:

1. Install RTW
    2. Install the 1.2 patch.
    3. Install MM.
    4. Install XGM.
    5. Run the XGM-MM installer from Extras.
    I believe so because I followed the instructions in the readme.
    Is there a quick way to check?
    Is there anywhere to download a zip rather than exe version? Then I can see what gets modifed. Or is there any way to see what the exe puts where?

I'll try it again just to be sure on a new copy of the data directory but I think I remember doing all of this. Is it safe to do it again over the top (i.e. does it just unzip files?)

Roman and Greek factions can adopt temples from their own culture and, because the same temple types are used by other cultures, they can often adopt temples from other cultures as well. For the Greeks that means there are only a handful of temples that they can't upgrade.
    That'll be what I saw then. Thanks for clarifying. My bad.

OK, now I'm confused.
    It finally occured to me to install to a different directory to have a look what got installed.
    Here is my confusion:
    The patch installs descr_regions.txt and descr_strat.txt
    The wierd thing is that my descr_regions.txt in my install directory is exactly the same as the one in the patch. But the descr_strat.txt differs.
    Either this means that descr_strat.txt gets changed in the course of the game or I messed up the install somehow.
    (I definitely didn't have anything running at the time so haven't a clue what happened.)
    I'll put the file over manually and see whether everything recovers - will descr_strat.txt changes nullify my save game?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonA
    Is there a quick way to check?
    Take a look at the descr_strat.txt file in the Mundus Magnus campaign folder. The Greek general bodyguards should be "gc general's guard cavalry early" rather than "greek general's guard cavalry early".

Is there anywhere to download a zip rather than exe version? Then I can see what gets modifed. Or is there any way to see what the exe puts where?
    Run the installer and tell it to install to another directory (like desktop).

Is it safe to do it again over the top (i.e. does it just unzip files?)
    It should be OK to just go through the install steps again, but unfortunately you will have to start a new campaign for this to have any effect.

OK, now I'm confused.
    It finally occured to me to install to a different directory to have a look what got installed.
    Here is my confusion:
    The patch installs descr_regions.txt and descr_strat.txt
    The wierd thing is that my descr_regions.txt in my install directory is exactly the same as the one in the patch. But the descr_strat.txt differs.
    Either this means that descr_strat.txt gets changed in the course of the game or I messed up the install somehow.
    (I definitely didn't have anything running at the time so haven't a clue what happened.)
    I'll put the file over manually and see whether everything recovers - will descr_strat.txt changes nullify my save game?
    Here is what I think happened (another user had a similar problem). For some reason the desc_strat.txt file was marked as read only, so the installer skiped over it. That won't happen in future versions because I will change the installers to force over-write. Unfortunately it means that your current saved games (I mean the ones for the campaign you started with the wrong desc_strat.txt file) are bugged. Now that you have the right descr_strat.txt file you can start a new campaign, and you should not encounter the same problems, but unfortunately you can't continue the old campaign.

Thanks a lot for your help on this, I really appreciate how helpful you have been.
    And appreciate the effort you've taken to make this work :-)

I didn't think about read only, good thinking there as I couldn't see how it'd update one file and not the other.

I've copied the correct file over and started again. Everything seems to work so far, no crashes yet :-)
    Thanks a lot.
    (Would have said last night but the name resolution on my ISP was playing up so I couldn't get to the site :-( )

Hail DimeBagHo. I installed the Mundus Magna mod and your XGM mod as you suggest and everything seems to work OK. The problems are confusing me. The Corinthian Hyspaspists are not coming out of Corinth but from Sparta. The Spartan Hoplites don't come out at all. And finally the non-mercenary Rhodian Slingers and non-mercenary Cretan Archers don't come out at all also from Rhodes and from Cydonia. What might be the problem?

I forgot to tell you that I'm playing with the Greek Cities.
    And I forgot also to congratulate you for the awesome new greek units you entered in the greatest (strategy) game ever.

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod (Now V2.1.2)

eldal - Did you run the XGM-MM installer in the extras folder? The steps for making MM work with XGM go like this:

1. Install RTW
    2. Install the official 1.2 patch.
    3. Install MM
    4. Install XGM
    5. Run the XGM-MM installer from the extras folder.

If you skip a step, or get them in the wrong order, then weird things will happen.

I did all the steps as you said but unfortunately the problem remain. If I put only the XGM then everything is OK. But if I put the MM first (with the propper way) then start the weird things. Does anyone else have the same problems or only me? Apart from that the new units are fantastic. I have one disagreement though. Why did you stop the production of Spartan Hoplites at Syracouses since this city was for ages colony of Spartan people. I undestand the discipline was not as good as it was at Sparta but anyway Spartans were their ancestors. And finally if you need some help with greek names or words I will be happy to help.

Syrcuse was a Corinthian colony and, although it had some ancient cultural connections with the Spartans, they never had the Spartan system of laws and training that produced Spartan hoplites. In fact Syracuse was democratic for much of it's history, making it more like Athens in many ways.

As for the problems with XGM and Mundus Magnus. Try downloading XGM again. Some people were having a problem with a file being set as read-only and then being skiped over by the XGM-MM installer. I updated the XGM 2.1.2 installers so that they would force over-write. That might help with your problem.

Otherwise - if you start with a clean install of RTW, and follow all the steps above, everything should work.

Sorry, you are right about the Syracuse. The Spartans just found the opportunity to "help" the Syracusians defeat the Athenian fleet during the pelloponesian war. They were just allies. But after their democracy (not as free as Athens democracy) uprisen the tyrant Dionysus who let Plato to try his oligarchic system in Syracuse.
    I 'll let you know about the cooperation of MM and XGM.
    Thanks anyway!

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod (Now V2.1.2)

eldal - If you run into the same problem with not being able to recruit the right units in the right places, try downloading XGM again, and doing a new install. I just discovered a problem that might explain what you were seeing.

If you do the XGM+MM install wrong, start a campaign, then do the XGM+MM install right, and start a new campaign, the new campaign will still be bugged because of a file (map.rwm) that is left over from the first time you started the MM campaign. I have made a new version of the XGM-MM installer that fixes this problem.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 05-28-2005 at 23:19.

Cool Re: Extended Greek Mod (Now V2.0)

I am in the very pleasant place to inform you that with the downloading of the new XGM all problems solved. Many many thanks. I will win a greek cities campaign dedicated to you.

Yeah i wouldnt start one now if i were you, in the TWC forum, we were informed that the new version of the XGM mod is coming out in 1 to 2 days or at the most this week.
    Partido Popular Democratico, embrutesiendo a Puerto Rico desde el 1951

Default Extended Greek Mod version 2.2

Version 2.2 is pretty much done, but the release is going to be held up until things get sorted out over at TWC.

You can see the new readme here.

dont do this to me man i join here to be able to here about the mod, loli guess ill wait

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod version 2.2

Is it going to work with the MM mod? Or you will release a new XGM-MM installer?

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod version 2.2

does XGM work with rome total realism 5.4.1?
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

TWC s gona be done for a long time i have heard, you should realy consider realesing it here

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast