Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod

XGM version 3.6.0 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Egypt re-named to the Ptolemaic Empire
    -Ethiopian Axemen added to Ptolemies
    -Agema Axemen added to Ptolemies
    -Basilikon Guard added to Ptolemies
    -Desert Axemen removed
    -Various Ptolemaic units re-skinned and re-named
    -Iberian Spearmen added
    -Silk Road added
    -All civilised factions can now build highways along the Silk Road
    -Caravans added to all civilised factions
    -Caravans limited to eastern regions
    -Royal Barracks adeded to GCS, Carthage, Ptolemies
    -Spartan Phalangites moved to Royal Barracks
    -Carthaginian Sacred Band moved to Royal Barracks
    -Dockyards added to Ptolemies
    -Macedonian and Thracian Illyrians removed
    -AOR Illyrians (recruitable by all factions in Illyria) added
    -AOR Italian Infantry (recruitable by most factions in Italy) added
    -AOR Desert Infantry (recruitable by most factions in Africa) added
    -AOR Numidian Cavalry (recruitable by most factions in Africa) added
    -AOR Eastern Infantry (recruitable by most factions in the East) added

The New Ptolemaic Units

1. 2. 3.
    4. 5. 6.
    7. 8.

1. Levy Phalangites - with a round shield now. 2. Phalangites - again with a round shield now. 3. Agema Phalangites - these are a replacement for Pharoah's Guards. 4. Ethiopian Axemen - replacement for Desert Axemen. 5. Agema Axemen - new Army Barracks level unit. 6. New elite archer unit, along with the new Ptolemaic officier. 7. Basilikon guards. Royal Barracks level over-hand "hoplite" unit. 8. Basilikon Guards in action.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 03-03-2006 at 09:07.

XGM version 3.6.1 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Added Unified Rome provincial campaigns
    -"Italian" units re-named to "Italic"
    -Spartan Phalangites moved back to Army Barracks
    -Greek Sacred Band moved to Royal Barracks
    -Minor bug fixes

Cool!

XGM version 3.6.2 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-All temples can be upgraded by all factions
    -Minor bug fixes

Im not seeing an explanation as to why the Spartan Royal guard was made a 30 turn build? They are very similar in strength to the Sacred Band. In my case I just love seeing the spartan artwork on the field and I just would rather they be moved to a high level barracks and build time bumped to around 3 years (6 turns). *shrug*

Also, I recently patched to 1.5, installed 3.6.2 of XGM and started a new GCS campaign on Hard/Hard (I'd been playing 3.3.2 XGM w/1.3 forever). I am noticing that I am getting my arse kicked pretty bad, Im struggling to survive and Im wondering about some other changes you've made..

1) Why are the Macedonians so strong at the start? Have you tried to deal with their Phalangites with silly theuropurolalapolopoli? They attacked me in turn 3 and they have plenty of thorokatalakabillybi, pikemen, macedonian cav, yowzer!

2) Whats with the level 3 rebels everywhere in the starting cities? And also, the rebels are aggressive (which I really like :) ) you get close to their cities now and they'll frackin attack!

3) Money change.. I am struggling financially, this has never happened to me before playing GCS.. *boggle*

4) Armoured hoplite art change.. I had to dig quite a bit to find the fix on this, please include instructions with future releases to make the Armo hoppies look bad-arse again :) What possessed you to wussify them?

There are many, many changes you've made that Im very happy with.. I love your mod its the only thing I play now for going on 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    Im not seeing an explanation as to why the Spartan Royal guard was made a 30 turn build? They are very similar in strength to the Sacred Band. In my case I just love seeing the spartan artwork on the field and I just would rather they be moved to a high level barracks and build time bumped to around 3 years (6 turns). *shrug*
    I really should put some more details in the readme - a lot of people have asked about this. Historically the Spartan Royal Guard consisted of just 300 men. The aim of the long recruiting time is to make it possible (but expensive) to replace losses, but impractical to have more than one unit. You can still recruit Spartan phalangites, which have another version of ATG's model and skin, with an Army barracks in Sparta. So if you just like the art work there is no need to worry. :)
    1) Why are the Macedonians so strong at the start? Have you tried to deal with their Phalangites with silly theuropurolalapolopoli? They attacked me in turn 3 and they have plenty of thorokatalakabillybi, pikemen, macedonian cav, yowzer!
    Historically the Greek Cities tried to eject the Macedonians from Greece right around the start of the game period, but they got stomped. To avoid the same fate you need to bide your time, recruit a decent number of levy phalangites in Sparta, hire mercenaries, and strike when you have a force that is capable of taking Corinth and then holding off the Macedonians. It can be done, but you have to be cautious at the start. Even taking rebel settlements can attract unwanted attention from the other Greek powers.
    2) Whats with the level 3 rebels everywhere in the starting cities? And also, the rebels are aggressive (which I really like :) ) you get close to their cities now and they'll frackin attack!
    The rebels have been toned down a bit in recent releases, but they are still no push-over.
    3) Money change.. I am struggling financially, this has never happened to me before playing GCS.. *boggle*
    Money can be a bit of a struggle at the start, but once you get ports and roads built it should be OK. Later when you get control of Greece and the coast of Asia Monor you will be rolling in cash.
    4) Armoured hoplite art change.. I had to dig quite a bit to find the fix on this, please include instructions with future releases to make the Armo hoppies look bad-arse again :) What possessed you to wussify them?
    Common complaint. :) I changed them for two reasons - I didn't like the old model, and historically Corinthian helmets were no longer used in the game period. But I probably will write up some instructions for changing them back.
    There are many, many changes you've made that Im very happy with.. I love your mod its the only thing I play now for going on 2 years.
    I'm glad you like it. :)

*Edit* I have added instructions for restoring the old Armoured Hoplite model and skin to the readme.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 03-17-2006 at 03:53.

Thanks DBH for your responses and continued development! If you'll endure me, I have some follow-up ones:

Levy Phalangites in sparta...? huh? I believe that unit is only available to the Macedonian uber-horde.. and they have plenty of them.

You commented on my level 3 rebel statement, but Im still curious as to the reasoning for beefing up Rebels? Im on the fence whether I like it or not. One thing Im noticing also is Rebel Pirate ships.. yowch! They are all over me, I have to move in fleets of 3 if I leave a port or BAM arse kickin.

and finally.. what about the sub alliance between the Greek states that has been often mentioned in recent versions? I expected some sort of loose alliance between the other Greeks similar to the Roman faction alliance..?

My game is now at turn 15 or so and Im holding my own against the Macedons, I managed somehow to wrestle Corinth from them. The Scipii have beseiged me at Apollonia and now the Seleucids have attacked me with serious venom, I took a peek with FOW disabled temporarily and they have HUGE stacks enroute, I am sure to lose my footing on their continent. What perplexes me is that there is no combat going on anywhere else, the Gauls and Julii just BARELY have begun their combat, on like turn 12.. The Seleucids are at war with NOBODY else, why pick on me? I have two cities on their continent, and they are surrounded by other factions which they are not allied with.. This is just such a different campaign than I've seen before and frankly I don't believe I can win on Hard/Hard and would be surprised if any above average players could (without cheating).

Levy Phalangites in sparta...? huh? I believe that unit is only available to the Macedonian uber-horde..
    I think the GCS equivalent might be called Militia Phalangites. Of course if you can get a City Barracks built and start recruiting regular Phalangites that is even better.
    You commented on my level 3 rebel statement, but Im still curious as to the reasoning for beefing up Rebels?
    I didn't make the Mundus Magnus map - the original set-up made by ngr had *much* stronger rebel garrisons. Some of them had 9 exp!. I think the idea was to slow development and make the rebels more of a challenge. Personally I prefer it if the other factions expand more rapidly so I have progressively toned down the rebels. In the current version of XGM they only get 2 exp, less money, and I am planning to replace rebel Phalangite units with Militia Phalangites.
    One thing Im noticing also is Rebel Pirate ships.. yowch! They are all over me, I have to move in fleets of 3 if I leave a port or BAM arse kickin.
    I've noticed that as well. I think I like the pirate fleets - it really keeps the pressure on to maintain control of the seas.
    and finally.. what about the sub alliance between the Greek states that has been often mentioned in recent versions? I expected some sort of loose alliance between the other Greeks similar to the Roman faction alliance..?
    I think you are refering to the sub-factions? That is just within the GCS. Instead of all your family members being "of Sparta" they are now "of Sparta", "of Athens" and so on. You get leaders for each of the major city states. Mostly this is just to facilitate role-playing the city states as mini-factions. The Greek factions will continue to war with each-other just as they did historically.
    My game is now at turn 15 or so and Im holding my own against the Macedons, I managed somehow to wrestle Corinth from them. The Scipii have beseiged me at Apollonia and now the Seleucids have attacked me with serious venom, I took a peek with FOW disabled temporarily and they have HUGE stacks enroute, I am sure to lose my footing on their continent.
    You may have tried to expand too quickly - in my current campaign I didn't make a move in Asia minor until the Seleucids moved on Pergamum in 252 BC. The war with them has been tough - I lost two major battles - but it is still going my way.
    What perplexes me is that there is no combat going on anywhere else, the Gauls and Julii just BARELY have begun their combat, on like turn 12.. The Seleucids are at war with NOBODY else, why pick on me?
    It does take a while for the war between the Gauls and the Julii to heat up. In my own campaign there is a massive war going on between them now, which has helped a lot to keep the Romans off my back. An alliance of the Jullii and the Germans finally has the upper hand - so I expect hordes of red legionaries to be comming my way soon. Which is why I am busy establishing Thrace as a buffer state in the Balkans and on my northern border.

The campaign is definitely winable. It's not like the AI has suddenly become smart or anything. But you do need to employ some strategy.

But none of the GCS phalangies can stand toe-to-toe against those damn pikes. I have to have a unit to back flank while my shorty phalangies occupy them spear on pike. :(

Oh and you said 300 spartans, so shouldnt GCS start with 3 units of the royal guard? Because I started with a single unit, 100 men.

3.6.2XGM, so far, is the toughest mod I have played yet. I do enjoy making my own generals as well so as not to sacrifice my family members. Some are now level 5 or 6. My Krypteia, properly used make great commandos as do the Hypaspists and Athenian Marine Archers. I have two Spartan Royal Guard units and about 10 Spartan Phalangists units. I also have several Sacred band units which I use to lead fort garrisons.

Question-How do you make generals head other units?
    I have tried but can only make hc units.

Thanks
    diBorgia

But none of the GCS phalangies can stand toe-to-toe against those damn pikes. I have to have a unit to back flank while my shorty phalangies occupy them spear on pike. :(
    All the Greek phalanx units have the same length pike now. But if you play on h or vh then the AI will have the advantage in a straight up fight, so you do have to flank. Fortunately XGM prvides you with lots of units which can do that. :)
    Oh and you said 300 spartans, so shouldnt GCS start with 3 units of the royal guard? Because I started with a single unit, 100 men.
    Well a Roman cohort was typically about 500 men. If we take that as a scale then one unit of Spartan Royal Guards is more than enough to represent the Spartan 300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesare diBorja
    Question-How do you make generals head other units?
    I've never tried, but as far as I know you just have to add the general_unit attribute. I think there is a guide in the scriptorium here.

XGM version 3.6.4 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Added Ptolemaic Hetairoi/Companions
    -Reskined Greek Armoured cavalry
    -Reskined Macedonian and Seleucid Hetairoi/Companions
    -Reskined Late Greek Generals

Here are some screen shots of the new skins:

01. 02. 03.
    04. 05.

01. GCS Armoured Cavalry, 02. GCS Armoured Bodyguards, 03. Ptolemaic Hetairoi/Late Bodyguards, 04. Macedonian Hetairoi/Late Bodyguards, 05. Seleucid Hetairoi/Late Bodyguards

Exclamation Re: Extended Greek Mod

baaaahhhh I just upgraded to 3.6.2 ya stinker!!!! Looks great though DBH!

Any plans to add the 'lithobolos' to the game. It is the stonethrower ballista. 'earliest cannon-style weapon'. It would be cool.

diBorgia

XGM version 3.6.6 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Added Thracian Thorakitai
    -Added Thracian Peltasts
    -Added Thracian Cavalry
    -Reskined Thracian Falxmen
    -Reskined Thracian Early Bodyguard
    -Converted Thracian Late Bodyguard to Scythian Lancers
    -Reskined Thracian Noble Cavalry
    -Reskined and modified Bastarne
    -Removed Bastarne from Thrace
    -Removed Greek Peltasts from Thrace
    -Removed Militia Cavalry from Thrace
    -Replaced Thracian Mercenaries with Thracian Peltasts
    -Added AOR Thracian Peltasts (recruitable by all factions in Thrace)
    -Added AOR Cilician Pirates (recruitable by all factions in Cilicia)
    -Added AOR Median Cavalry (recruitable by all factions in Media)
    -Added AOR Greek Mercenaries (recruitable by all factions in Hellenic regions)
    -Added AOR Scutarii (recruitable by all factions in Iberia)
    -Converted remaining mercenaries to use slave skins
    -Updated sprites

Cesare diBorja: That's a possibility. I've been thinking about adding a unique seige unit to Syracuse for a while.

wouldn't it be simple to just take a ballista and make fire stones( large sling bullets

p.s. got a bug that makes game freeze after a delay of play. never had it before.

Great mod additions, DBH
    Last edited by Cesare diBorja; 03-28-2006 at 10:46.

It's easy enough to make - it's more a question of what it's use would be. I prefer not to add units that have no tactical purpose.

It was used as an effective go-between for ballistae and onagers. Quicker to deploy than onagers, more powerful than ballistae. Historically speaking the game would be more accurate.

diBorgia

Dude, I gotta give it to you, you just made the Greek Campain a lot better than it already was. But what I like the best is that FINALY hoplites use the spears the right way.

HOWEVER I am extremely dissapointed on the preformance of the Royal Spartan Guard in battle. I mean, for taking so long to get, so expensive to retrain, they are NOT that great.

Now, I understand your point for making them take 30yrs to make and so expensive to re-train. But I believe it would also make sence to have Royal Spartans be stronger. Not like a GOD unit or anything, but with higher pts for melee attack, higher pts for defence skill, and higher stamina.

I mean... they are not just Spartans, they are ROYAL SPARTANS! I am sure you can imagine how hard it would be for a Spartan to become 1 of the 300 Royal Guard. Hell being a Spartan is hard enough already!

Being a Spartan doesn't make you that much harder to kill or have supernatural abilities to kill others. They were still humans afterall. The long training time doesn't necessitate a super unit. It's just for accurate representation of their use.

Elite and super elite mythos are blown way out of proportion these days. Too much super hero crap going around that people think these individuals actually exist. Various 'special' forces are indeed talented to a high degree. The United States has lost alot of SF personnel due the irregular use of the units in the war against terrorism (now in the thousands). These men and women still die. So what if they kill 10-35 persons. If you only have a hundred of them and they face 10000 without support, how long will they last. They'll kill a third of the enemy and die overrun by their enemies buddies. Happened alot in Vietnam. It was no different for the Spartans no matter what their training. Going to war is different from playing 'at war'.

diBorgia

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderland
    Being a Spartan doesn't make you that much harder to kill or have supernatural abilities to kill others. They were still humans afterall. The long training time doesn't necessitate a super unit. It's just for accurate representation of their use.

Dang it fellas I know... Alright, I'll give you an example of what I mean by making them "Stronger".

A Spartan Royal Guard has 7pts for Defence Skill to add to his "Total Defence". Vs a Phalangite/Thorekitai/Greek Mercenary who has 5pts for Defence Skill. So, what I am arguing for, is to Increase the Spartan Royal Guard's Defence Skill (FOR EXAMPLE) to 12 Defense Skill pts instead of 7pts. AND LEAVE Shield and Armor pts THE SAME. (because naturally Armor and Shield have nothing to do with ABILITY, just as a seramic plate is going to stop a bullet the same way no matter who wears it, either a Green Barret, or a Grunt.)

Oh and guys I am having a little trouble:
    -For some reason the the units are not getting tired and neither is the enemy. I don't have the game in Arcade mode and I can have any unit running around it is always "FRESH". Is there a way to fix this?.........

The Spartan Royal Guard get 2 hitpoints, which can make them extremely hard to kill. But there is nothing special about their defense stats otherwise, so they can get worn down, especially if they are under missile fire for a while, or if you throw them into combat too often in one battle. I might take a look at increasing their defense a little though.

Wonderland and Cesare diBorja are also correct that they were not supermen. Most of their advantage in earlier times was that they were professional, and highly trained, in a time when most soldiers were not. By the time of the game period all of the Greek powers, and of course the Romans as well, had professional military forces. Most of them had highly trained elite units as well. So although the Spartans were still a very effective fighting force, they no longer had the huge advantages that they enjoyed two or three centuries earlier.

On the matter of fatigue - it is switched off by default now because the AI does not know how to manage it. The advantage is that the AI will always arrive fresh for a fight, instead of being exhausted already by running around all over the place. If you prefer to have it switched on, there are instruction in the readme (check the "Modding XGM" section).

DBH, for some reason I cannot access to TWC so I'll post here:

I found a couple minor issues with the latest release:

- Thracian peltasts should get a better fitting icon imho, the older falxmen one can be misleading

- Iberians shouldn't be able to recruit the mercenary AOR unit, AI mixes them with scutarii ending with lots of half units they cannot merge...
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

"On the matter of fatigue - it is switched off by default now because the AI does not know how to manage it. The advantage is that the AI will always arrive fresh for a fight, instead of being exhausted already by running around all over the place. If you prefer to have it switched on, there are instruction in the readme (check the "Modding XGM" section)."

--Thanks for the heads-up man.... and that I think about is I will leave it switched on.

XGM version 3.6.7 is now available for download.

You can get it here.
    You can see the readme here.

The major changes are:

-Added Late Poeni Infantry
    -Added Late Scutarii
    -Added AOR Italic Legionaries (recruitable by all civilised factions in Italy)
    -Added AOR Horse Archers (recruitable by most factions in eastern Barbarian regions)
    -Added AOR Barbarian Infantry (recruitable by all factions in western Barbarian regions)
    -Added AOR Barbarian Cavalry (recruitable by all factions in western Barbarian regions)
    -Increased unit size of Desert Infantry, decreased morale
    -Moved Desert Infantry to Barracks
    -Decreased morale of many AOR/mercenary units by 2
    -Reduced recruiting costs of many Barbarian units
    -Increased Barbarian starting populations on vanilla map
    -Increased defense of all units by 2
    -Increased defense of spear units by additional 2
    -Decreased lethality of spear units from 0.74 to 0.64
    -Decreased lethality of phalanx units from 0.9 to 0.64
    -Increased attack of phalangite and elite phalangite units by 2
    -Phalanx units now suffer high penalties in scrub and forest
    -General units now only 1 hitpoint, but defense and armour increased by 2
    -Decreased range of elite archer units to 150, Gastraphetes to 170
    -Decreased range of elite slinger units to 100
    -Removed Elephant resource from Media on vanilla map
    -Changed requirements for Alexander traits
    -Temple bonuses extensively revised
    -Javelin and Pilae speeds reduced
    -Movement rates reduced to 70% of vanilla

The Barbarian and Steppe AOR units are not available on Mundus Magnus yet.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 04-03-2006 at 18:15.

Loved using the Spartan Royal Guard, when I took Cydonia, was caught off guard with their card but when I went into battle, loved the skin used, and boy, tough indeed.
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Will 3.6.7 affect a 3.6.6 saved game?
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

Saved games (back to version 3.1) should be fine.

Post Re: Extended Greek Mod

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo
    XGM version 3.6.7 is now available for download.

You can get it here.
    You can see the readme here.

The major changes are:

-Added Late Poeni Infantry
    -Added Late Scutarii
    -Added AOR Italic Legionaries (recruitable by all civilised factions in Italy)
    -Added AOR Horse Archers (recruitable by most factions in eastern Barbarian regions)
    -Added AOR Barbarian Infantry (recruitable by all factions in western Barbarian regions)
    -Added AOR Barbarian Cavalry (recruitable by all factions in western Barbarian regions)
    -Increased unit size of Desert Infantry, decreased morale
    -Moved Desert Infantry to Barracks
    -Decreased morale of many AOR/mercenary units by 2
    -Reduced recruiting costs of many Barbarian units
    -Increased Barbarian starting populations on vanilla map
    -Increased defense of all units by 2
    -Increased defense of spear units by additional 2
    -Decreased lethality of spear units from 0.74 to 0.64
    -Decreased lethality of phalanx units from 0.9 to 0.64
    -Increased attack of phalangite and elite phalangite units by 2
    -Phalanx units now suffer high penalties in scrub and forest
    -General units now only 1 hitpoint, but defense and armour increased by 2
    -Decreased range of elite archer units to 150, Gastraphetes to 170
    -Decreased range of elite slinger units to 100
    -Removed Elephant resource from Media on vanilla map
    -Changed requirements for Alexander traits
    -Temple bonuses extensively revised
    -Javelin and Pilae speeds reduced
    -Movement rates reduced to 70% of vanilla

The Barbarian and Steppe AOR units are not available on Mundus Magnus yet.

Tried to download version 3.6.7 and was having problems is there a issue with the link or something?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast