Poll: XP or EB?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: What are you looking forward to more?

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

Default What are you looking forward to more?

We have seen what CA and Activision are capable of releasing. They've announced their expansion pack, the Barbarian Invasion. In the past we also know what the community is capable of producing. The EB Mod Team are toiling away on what will be an incredible face-lift to the RTW game.

So out of the two, which do you think will be more satisfying to you?
    robotica erotica

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: What are you looking forward to more?

BI, all the way. I wanna play the Huns or the various goth factions (Visagoths, Ostragoths, Seattle Industrial Goths). Hopefully they will focus on the fall of Rome period like they did with VI with the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Colovion
    We have seen what CA and Activision are capable of releasing. They've announced their expansion pack, the Barbarian Invasion. In the past we also know what the community is capable of producing. The EB Mod Team are toiling away on what will be an incredible face-lift to the RTW game.

So out of the two, which do you think will be more satisfying to you?
    1) There's not even a shred of info on Barbarian Invasion just yet.
    2) CA still made the game. EB is a mod, but they are from the same game.
    3) The choices are limited. How about "Both" or "Neither"?
    4) You really have to compare RTW to other games i.e "Imperial Glory", "Rise & Fall", "AOEIII", or "Empire Earth II" etc. not to itself.

My vote: I'll be playing EB and purchasing Barbarian Invasion, so both.

Certainly looking forward to both these things but much much more I looking for the official expansion to be announced with modding acces to the Ai. That simple(I guess not so simple) addition would allow the community to program their own AI's, and would at one stroke make RTW potentially the best game even from its(apparently) many doubters.

Forget new scenarios/campaigns, forget naval battles, forget Barbarians even, give me access to the AI ....please.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus
    My vote: I'll be playing EB and purchasing Barbarian Invasion, so both.
    well of course everyone is looking forward to both - but please read:

You can't look forward to both more. That's not possible.

The idea of the poll was to see what people are wanting more.
    robotica erotica

If i have to choose than i choose EB. The expansin pack is still too far away.

barb invasion, purely so that they patch all the dam bugs. If the expansion doesnt sort them out i swear ill do something unsavoury. With sticky tape and hamsters. What was their address again??
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
    -Voltaire-

Cry Havoc and let slip the FERRETS OF WAR!

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

EB, since it comes out first ;)

Just fix the bugs and sell a downloadable patch at cost.

I'd pay $4.99 for it.

Yes, that's lame, but I have given in because all the programmers here have convinced me its impossible to expect quality control in software.

p.s. I'll be selling the $9.99 XP Paint Touch Up Kit and $7.99 XP Replacement Hardware Packet for all my products soon! I can't wait to fire all my QC people and then tell consumers that the scratches on the powder coating are "aethestic features" and not defects.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I vote EB, because I can't trust CA again until they prove they give good patch support at least to fix major game-ruining bugs like the siege bug. If CA release a BI that works, I might check out some demo if any and then wait at least 6 months to see it works well for others, before even thinking about buying it. The advantage of BI in this poll is that it brings something new in terms of periods, factions, units etc., but EB seems like it'll convert so many of the faults in vanilla R:TW that I don't think BI will beat EB even in the variation-compared-to-R:TW aspect. Finally, EB will probably be more realistic than the BI expansion, so for me EB is the R:TW addon I'm looking forward to more (can't wait to command those wonderfully modelled/skinned sarmatian units - forget the huns when the sarmatians can sack Rome almost 500-600 years earlier hehe).
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

I voted Barbarian Invasion for the simple reason that I figure it will have more polish than RTW and that it will therefore be better raw material for the modders, including for an updated version of EB.

If I had a choice only between EB and vanilla BI, I would probably go for EB because I think it's more likely to be an interesting and playable game.

Ive got 3 point why i am divided:
    1: The c.a will probably have better acses to resources e.c.t
    2:EBs members are probably more comited as they are only working on one project and enthusiastic.
    3:They will both probably be really good games im just going to get wich ever one is first.
    Also is EB free?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus
    Also is EB free?
    It would be illegal for a modification of a copyrighted game to be sold to the general public without licensing by the publisher for the rights.

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Definately BI. No disrespect to the great work that the modding community do, but I want to play the official product, and I want it to be good (i.e. better than the mods). This might sound like unrealistic optimism in the light of experience, but I'll look forward to BI eagerly unless and until my hopes that it will make RTW the game it always could have been are dashed.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

If the modders could fix the AI then I would be playing RTW a lot. But they can't so I will be looking forward to BI. However, I won't actually buy it until I hear that the AI is fixed and it isn't loaded with new bugs. Till then MTW:VI will just have to do.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I'll be going with EB. I'll get that mainly because it will make the present RTW much more interestng. All the Xp pack will do is prolly add a bit more map, maybe a few more factions and units and possibly another campaign. It's not that great. EB is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I'm looking forward to Barbarian Invasion more so then Europa Barbarorum mainly because of the expanded modding possibilities ala what VI did for MTW. Really hope that more factions can be created in the expansion pack and the ability to create events such as the marian reforms, be able to tie dates to them and perhaps some more options such as having a faction spawn at a given date. Heh.. I personally would like to see a whole lot of modding additions in BI.

This was really hard.

As much I drool and rant and rave over EB, I have to say BI.

EB will be a finished product of RTW, but with the same AI flaws and junk that make us all irritated. BI will be a whole new game similar to the previous XPs.

The XP will allow for more modding material.

The XP has hard coded features that may be changed, basically making it a new experience.

ARARAGHHGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRAAA!!!

EB will be historically accurate, have new perspectives on old favorites...

EB will be done right...

This was very narrow. Very. I am still looking forward to EB. In some ways EB more because it will be sooner than the XP.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

i guess the answer has to be neither,
    any mod is essentially bugged
    CA have blown their last chance (didn't we all say that after MTW after they forced us to buy the XP to get bug fixes).

so I guess I'm looking forward to Civ4, the slitherine game, galciv4 and the new morrowind game.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

BI, cause it will hopefully add more features or units for modders to mess with and I will definately be getting it, whereas with EB I will have to get someone to dl it for me due to dial up, it will be a pain to get. I look forward to EB as well though.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by demon rob
    i guess the answer has to be neither,
    any mod is essentially bugged

never played MedMod did you?

better yet, tell it to these guys
    Last edited by Colovion; 04-14-2005 at 09:45.
    robotica erotica

Well, the current statistics of the polls show three things. One is that people simply don't learn from history. Another is that Creative Assembly can get away with making shoddy games because people will snap them up no matter what. The other is that people don't appriciate hard work given away for free.

I am so steamed by the results of this poll that I am tempted to send twenty dollars to the Europa Barbororum team.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Moore
    Well, the current statistics of the polls show three things. One is that people simply don't learn from history. Another is that Creative Assembly can get away with making shoddy games because people will snap them up no matter what. The other is that people don't appriciate hard work given away for free.

I am so steamed by the results of this poll that I am tempted to send twenty dollars to the Europa Barbororum team.
    Bingo. Either people don't like what EB is going to offer, or they're blind to the past. Everyone who commented about the BI is simply hoping that their faith is well placed in CA's XP wheras EB's progress is laden bare and obvious for all. I surely hope that CA releases an XP that does everything in these comments and more besides - but I know from the last year's events that it's not worth it. I may very well buy the XP, but I darenot look forward to a fourth version when the previous three have left myself wanting. That would be a fool's errand to herald that day.

You'd think that in a forum based on a form of entertainment based on history that people would actually pay attention to past events.

Last edited by Colovion; 04-15-2005 at 07:59.
    robotica erotica

For my part BI.

CA hasn't dissapointed me with the expansion pack in MTW, so I hope they won't in RTW.