Poll: What do do with rebels?

Thread: How to deal with rebel scum!

Question How to deal with rebel scum!

MULTIPLE CHOICES - YOU CAN SELECT MORE THAN ONE ANSWER!

Okay, I thought I'd start a poll to get peoples opinions on what they'd like to see regarding rebels in the expansion pack.

Are there too many or too few?

Should the rebel armies be more or less powerful?

Should their power/frequency be related to empire size?

Personally, I'd like to see far fewer, but more powerful rebel armies, which get nastier after the Marius reforms.
    Early in the game, rebels can be too nasty (when all you've got to fight them with is a militia) and late in the game they are just an annoyance to be swatted down with your praetorian ubermenchen.
    Introducing some tougher rebels with the Marius reforms would stop rebels from hampering the early game, and stop them becoming obsolete in the late game. It would also symbolise the growing resistance to the growing dominance of the Roman empire.

DAMN! I forgot to add an option that rebel armies are somehow related to population loyalty, watchtowers and/or forts. However, I think that it's a safe bet to assume that we'd all like this?
    Last edited by Camp Freddie; 04-15-2005 at 13:20.
    Camp Fweddie - Wanking higher than any in Wome since 273 BC

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Default Re: How to deal with rebel scum!

Less but more powerful is the way forward!
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

I like the 'post-Marian rebels get harder' idea. I also think the frequency and strength of these rebels should be linked back to the region's happiness - the more unrest, the larger and more powerful the stack of rebels. There's nothing like a big stack of battle hardened ex-slaves marauding around your overstretched border outpost to take the shine off a big victory elsewhere...

How about rebels that build buildings in their settlements, and produce more and more advanced units as their settlements grows?

And that how advanced the pop-up rebels are, is related to the settlement in same provice?

I think CA have way to go regarding rebels!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I'm not allowed to vote in the poll, but i'd go with the rebels getting tougher post-Marian.

It would also be good if they attacked settlements from time to time as on occasion they outnumber my garrison!

We have abandoned the GAH!, as the answer in this poll was surely GAH!
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Damn, I forgot the GAH! option too. I really suck at this poll-designing malarkey!

In terms of rebels vs. hapiness, I see 2 ways of linking them. One is to base the rebel chance on the loyalty rating, the other is to only use the unrest rating (i.e. the loyalty penalty in the crossed swords icon).

Using the unrest penalty would mean that:

a) The region-specific unrest penalty in the rebel text file would actually affect rebel generation!

b) The unrest penalty due to spies in the town would be a serious issue. This also fits with the idea of enemy spies instigating rebelion, which is cool.
    Camp Fweddie - Wanking higher than any in Wome since 273 BC

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dude_uk
    I'm not allowed to vote in the poll, but i'd go with the rebels getting tougher post-Marian.

It would also be good if they attacked settlements from time to time as on occasion they outnumber my garrison!

They do somethimes, i have had rebels lay seige to one of my settlements in Italy whilst most my army was of killing greeks.
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I want more powerful rebels, at the moment unless I am in a three front war with a few strong factions rebel provinces are mainly just eaten up by my empire or another empire to give a little income boost. Occassionally there will be an annoying rebel army that moves about and hides in forests, but even then it is not a real problem, if they ambush you you almost always get time to run and then they don't chase you...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans