Thread: Advice for Novice Max users

Default Advice for Novice Max users

Just thought I would post this, since there has been a rasjh of similar posts looking for help using Max.

Now...you are probably not going to like this, but it is for your own good!!!!

1) Before posting HERE asking for help, READ THE MANUAL.

2) Assuming you didn't get the manual ( if you know what I mean ) then you MUST start off by looking for some good beginners tutorials on the net. There are plenty of these, and Google.com will get you what you need

3) Start off by learning the basic interface, and find your way around the tools MAx has. It is a HIGH END tool, and is really not aimed at beginners.

4) Next, learn the basics of polygon modelling. Most Max users are creating high-polygon detailed 3D renders, so you need to focus on sites that tell you how to make low-polygon game models. Forget about the fancy stuff, and focus on mesh-modelling.

5) Once you are able to actually build basic models AND UV map in Max, then think about making things for RTW. If you can't get to that stage, forget it. You won't get there overnight, but you will get there if you stick at it.

6) Importing AND exporting CAS files requires that you are able to activate and use Max Scripts. 3DS Max CANNOT import or export game models in the formats that RTW uses. The script was made up by Vercingetorix, and is easy enough to use AS LONG AS YOU KNOW HOW TO USE A SCRIPT.

Believe me, I have taught people to model, and it is a HUGE task that requires massive input from all concerned. There are masses of things to learn, from the basic concepts up to the details of making things for very specific games and mods, and if you don't speak 3D, you probably won't understand the advice you get!

Thats about it really!

Personally, I sympathise with anyone trying to learn to model to make a mod, but I won't help anyone who just says 'I want to learn to model, tell me how' ... they won't make the distance, and I won't waste my time posting.

If, however, they are asking more specific 'how to' questions, indicating they are trying to learn and putting some effort in, then that's a different thing altogether. I will always help someone who is actually giving it a proper go!
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Default Re: Advice for Novice Max users

Well said! Now of course I want to help people on their way with modelling so I am going to compile a list of tutorials for modelling in max (including g-max) which I will post in another thread (in the guides forum). I would also strongly suggest that people do the tutorials that come WITH max because they can contain resources as well.

Sundjata Keita

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

If anyone knows, could they also put together a list of the differences between Gmax and 3dsmax? That would be very helpful, so that those without 3dsmax would know what they can and cannot do.

Thank you.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Key differences:

1) The rendering engine has been removed for GMax ( no big loss for us )

2) You cannot export models or save them in any format other than GMax native format. Plugins are 'licensed' by discreet to allow certain games to use the software for modding. There are plugins for Flight Sim 2004, Quake 3 and Combat Flight Sim 3...possibly others. This delibertae loss of functionality is the reason for giving it away. They make their money licensing hte plugins to provide game support.

As far as use for RTW goes:

Import - The CAS script works fine. You can import the models, play around with the mesh and get used to a user interface that is just about identical to Max. It has all the relevant Max tools for polygon modelling and is quite well supported with tutorials. It's good to learn on.

Export - You Can't. The stripping down of the Max core program has deliberately shut the door on most ways of getting models out of GMax, except through licensed plugins. You could get hold of the plugins, but you would STILL have to find some way of converting hte model back into a format Max could read, find someone with 3DS Max to import it, set up the materials, assign the skin modifier and allocate all the vertex weights. Phew.

In short.... learn the ropes on GMax. It's free, it looks and works like Max, and if you can master that, then you are going to be OK. Then get hold of 3DS Max to work on RTW

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

1) The rendering engine has been removed for GMax
    What does the rendering engine do?
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

This takes your model, background images and effects, and turns them into a pretty picture or animated sequence.

It adds in all the lighting and particle effects and such like and produces a visually presentable image based on what you have built.