Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CA asks for Bug List - to be fixed in the expansion

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default CA askes for Bug List - to be fixed in the expansion

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeGrasdyke
    But about the idea of a list of community issues, I think that's a fine idea. There might be some problems putting it together in that some people think, "oh, this is a huge problem" while other people are of the opposite opinion, but then you'll always get these things when lots of people try to work together ;) It will definitely help flag some areas for us that you guys have noticed as being either broken or not working as well as they could.
    This is what Jerome Posted in this thread

So basically its down to us now.

This is how it will work.
    You post bugs here, and they will be compiled into a concise list to give to CA. Thanks guys, we will soon be adding some of the bugs already mentioned.

Current Reported Bugs - IMPORTANT: please could someone read through these inform me of any mistakes or unproven bugs.
    Note: Sometimes when it says me or I it is simply where I have copied the text of those who reported the bug.

AI bugs

General notes on AI (not specific bugs, these may be moved to issues):
    Battlefield AI - an AI army will approach to attack in a line, but when it gets near to the player's force, it will break up, with units veering off in piecemeal attacks. This allows its individual units to be flanked and destroyed in detail. It is particularly disasterous when the AI is fielding phalanxes. The AI would do better to just try to march straight through the player's line in a frontal attack.
    Campaign AI - the AI does not sufficiently concentrate its forces. Some simple code to make weak stacks keep out of range of stronger player's stacks (ultimately hiding out in a walled town if need be) would help a lot. Heroes of Might and Magic III had such AI behaviour and it made for a decently challenging game.
    • Siege
      • Loosing seige equipment - AI units who loose their siege equipment whilst approaching the walls, seem to be frozen for the rest of the game. Standing there getting shot.
      • AI can do multiple sallies - Oaty has reported that this only has occurred on the turn they are to be starved to death
      • A.I. builds sap points on wooden walls - I can't build them for a wooden wall and the sap points do'nt show up when I'm assaulted so this is a bug.
      • Computer controlled rienforcements bug - In siege assaults, computer controlled rienforcements for both the AI and player sometimes come on, line up in from of the wall and stand there getting shot. It seems they may be continuously be being given orders to move and halt, move and halt. See here
    • Loading bugs (all one bug?)

• AI break siege- the AI will often break up sieges after loading a saved game
      • AI become protectorates - After loading a saved game, the AI seem very susceptible to diplomatic overtures such as the offering of protectorate status, ceasefires, alliances, etc.
      • AI behaves passively on the turn after a load - AI is also behaving passive in turn after reload. It would never take unwalled cities for example. If AI had "goto" toward enemy provice, it would also retreat.
        See an in-depth discussion of the whole issue here
    Strat map bugs

• Settlement bugs
      • Fog of war - When a settlement gets upgraded, it sometimes becomes envelopped in fog of war, so that you can no longer see its contents or surroundings. You can still move into and manage the city. See here, more info here
    • Character bugs

• Character portraits - continue to age after death.
      • Trait bug - After a battle is played, the triggers for traits are set off twice if the battle is played manually (once at the end of the battle and once on reload of the strat map?)
      • Spy/Assasin traits - Sabotage gives no experience to assassins. It was found that traits such as conspirator were triggered after sabotage, but are only for spies, yet spies cannot sabotage...
      • Additional trait bugs - the traits with "scarred", "coward" and "IndecisiveAttacker" are not working correctly
      • Numidians don't get priests - numidian generals never get any priests in their retinue. this is due to the trigger for carthaginian priests only works for carthage. a separate trigger needs to be created for numidians to get priests of tanit/baal/milqart
    • Unit recruiting bugs

• Retraining experience units keep their experience for no extra cost - Retraining units with high experience costs no more than retraining units with no experience, yet the experienced unit is filled with new recruits who have the same experience as the unit (there is no fall in experience) See discussion here
      • Strange retraining costs - Could someone post a concise description of this bug. Is it part of the above bug?
      • Praetorian Cohort is available before Marian Reforms
      • Seleucids Armored Elephants are available in provinces without elephant resource
      • Thracians can not recruit Phalanx Pikemen with their higher level barracks
      • Gauls can recruit Naked Fanatics in farming shrines
      • Spain cannot build Long Shield Cavalry and Onagers
      • Mercenary Horse Archer cannot appear in Armenia
      • Pontus and Scythia do not get upgraded generals
      • Several other apparent inconsistencies are discussed here

• Sea bugs
      • Attacking ships in port - It is possible to attack ships in port (see this thread) using a roundabout method of selecting the unit cards of your ship, but not otherwise. Should we or shouldn't we be allowed to attack ships in port?
    • Senate bugs

• Senate allocates redundant units - After Marian reforms Senate still give triarii for successful missions.
      • Senate outlaws factions after capture of settlement - When capturing certain cities as part of a Senate mission (Sardis seems to be particularly prone to this, but other cities, including Corinth and Sidon have been known to cause this too), the Roman player gets outlawed for no logical reason. I say "no logical reason" because it apparently has nothing to do with prior Senate/Pleb popularity, number of regions controlled, etc. After this premature outlawing, the Senate behaves irrationally: it outlaws the other Roman factions, hands out new missions to the already outlawed Roman player, etc. Could someone please confirm this
    • Protectorates

• Protecting protectorates - If some faction declares war on your protectorate, you may not declare war on aggressor and still be protector of that faction. Could someone please confirm this
    • Diplomacy bugs

• Diplomats can't talk to cities - Often a diplomat seems to want to talk to a city. The turn sequence pauses and the diplomat faces the city and opens his scroll. There have been suggestions that this might be an attempted bribe, but it happens frequently between the Roman factions early in game. It seems the diplomats are having trouble starting a conversation.
    • Siege

• Siege but no siege - Sometimes it happens that a settlement is besieged by ghosts. There is no army there to actually lay the siege but still the stakes are up around the settlement and it is declared under siege. We have all seen the humerous screenshot of a city in Germania under siege with a great caption. Could someone pls confirm this or give a link to the screenshot
    • UI bugs

• Roman images for Numidia - (so I guess the other possible Carthaginian culture factions too) have Roman event pictures.
      • Parthian horse archers - have wrong unit's info picture and icon.
    • Watchtower/Fort bugs

• Captured watchtowers not working - When an enemy army parks an army on my watchtower, only about 10~20 percent of the time it gets diasabled.
    • Other bugs

• Weapon and armour upgrades have a maximum bonus of +3 - rendering the existing Awesome Temple of Artemis and its Pantheion useless. Right-clicking a unit in the Unit Recruitment screen will show the expected +5 missile weapon bonus, but when you actually (re)train a unit it only gets +3. The same problem manifests when a Temple of Artemis (or above) is combined with a Foundry. The combination should give units a +4 missile attack bonus.
    • Prologue bugs

• Missing unit cards - Gallic Archers (from Prologue) and Spanish Onagers (MP game) have their large unit cards missing.
        They show brown peasant instead.
    Battle bugs

• Grouping bugs
      • Grouped archers bug – Grouped archers don't fire where it is directed (first reported by hoom). They still obey individually.
      • Grouped speed bug - Grouping a quick unit with a slow unit results in both units moving at the speed of the fast unit. Surely the fast units should slow down for the slow ones?
      • Phalanx ability in groups - selecting an infantry unit without phalanx ability then adding a phalanx unit resaults in phalanx ability button appearing for the whole selection but indicating that phalanx formation is not chosen even if it is.
      • Grouped units not following orders - Sometimes, not all the units in the group follow orders given to the group. Also reported is that sometimes a unit not in the group follows orders given to the group.
      • Grouped units sometimes move rather than attack - Sometimes a group of units ordered to attack an enemy unit (double-click) will behave as if ordered to run to that location. The problem can be solved by choosing the individual unit cards and then ordering the attack, so I don't know the reason. I suspect the trouble is from groups created before the battle begins? Has anyone apart from Magraev experienced this?
      • Unit destinations - During pause grouped units destination position is not visible until you turn off pause.
    • Battle map generation bugs

• Coastline bug - Sometimes areas of sea near coastlines disspear in battle, leaving a perfectly square area of brown land. See here
    • Fords and bridges bugs

• Ford Bug - Some ford maps don't work properly in battle. For instance: the ford south of the town at Carthago Nova. Many of us have found infantry utterly unable to cross this ford and others. The ford was in the location where a bridge would normally be (if roads had been built.) There were no other fords on the map. The AI attacked, but could not find a crossing. It took me 10 or 15 minutes of experimentation and exploring to figure out how to get my cavalry into a formation that would allow them to cross (long narrow column very near the ford and perfectly alligned with it.) I never could get infantry across.
      • Bridge Routing bug – Bridge routing bug where the enemy unit routs to the player's side.
    • Siege bugs

• Routing on walls - Units still Fight to the Death on walls when they should be routing, despite supposedly fixed in 1.2.
      • Ladder bugs – Occassions where the unit who drops the ladder during deployment precludes it from picking it up again. Also, ability to build ladder on huge/epic stone walls even though not usable during siege.
      • Sallying Enemy bug I – Killing all the sallying enemy's forces doesn't give automatic victory to player (reported by Oaty). I think Oaty was trapped outside.
      • Sallying Enemy bug II - Sometimes the AI sallies, but once in battle, doesn't move, just hides behind the walls till the timer runs out.
      • Enemy never attack - On the battle map, when the AI is sieging one of your towns, the order of the AI's attack seems to be to fire all siege weapons first (e.g. onagers) until they run out of ammo, before using siege equipment to take the walls etc. But the problem is that Scorpions, who cannot attack walls, are included in this, so if the AI has Scorpions, it will not launch an attack on your walls until you run out and destroy them.
      • Endless Siege bug - Defending Enemy units that rout getting stuck in between tight alleys of buildings where they can't be reached by skirmishers.
      • Barbarian city Pathfinding bug – Units will SKIRT the closest route inside barbarian cities when there are no roadway/tracks presents. Instead they follow the roadway/tracks ( going around the city) even though the clicked destination only meant crossing between two buildings (with no tracks)
      • Pathfinding when entering city plazas - All units usually insist on entering the plazas in the middle of the square borders rather than a direct line inward. This screws up cavalry support, infantry charges, and phalanx formations.
      • CTD when ordering units to line up beside dropped ladder - When the A.I. sallies and you drop your ladders (the 15 build point ones). With the ladders on the ground select some unit(s) and go to string them across in a line. When you do this if the mouse cursor has a palm(grab icon) and you go to string them out you get a CTD every single time. In the heat of battle this can be annoying.
      • Units fall off siege towers - Units tend to fall to their death between the gap (invisible one) between the ramp of the Siege Tower and the Wall they are trying to get onto through the said Siege Tower. This doesn't happen always and I have personally noticed this bug occassionaly on the Large Stone Walls.
      • All units die - In the Carthies initial seige of Syracuse, after my (Greek) forces sally all Carthage forces die or retreat (Elephants are amok). I click End Battle with my forces outside of my town and get DRAW instead of completely breaking the seige. Could someone explain, do they just drop dead?
    • Archery bugs

• Flaming Arrows - Flaming ammo from archers do not light up or damage buildings like it says they do in the manual.
      • Horse archers don't fire when skirmishing - Bow-armed cavalry fail to fire on the run when skirmish mode is engaged. Possibly related to bugged animation cycles; units go through the motions of firing arrows but arrows are not (or rarely) released. Cantabrian circle still functions fully. Javelin-armed cavalry are unaffected.
    • Other bugs

• Cavalry Movement Point bonus bug – Left-clicking on a cavalry unit "on-screen" and Left-clicking on the same cavalry unit on the "unit card" confers different movement point values (being higher on the latter).
      • Cavalry don't use secondary weapon - Cavalry don`t change weapon when they stay in prolonged melee unless you press ALT key before you charge.
      • Impossible to attack dogs - (wardog/warhound) "formations" cannot be selected or attacked, even when their handlers are defeated or routed off the battlefield.
      • Flying Corpses - In some situations, (I belive melees with many men in tight situations) a corpse will decide to fly. Click here for a picture
      • Phalanx unable to fight up hills - Phalanx fighting uphill still hold their pikes horizontally. The effect of this is that units can run down the hill and ignore the pikes completely as the pikes end up stuck in the ground. Even on fairly shallow inclines the phalanx can't bring their pikes to bear on a enemy. Even with the pike tips well above the ground they simply let the enemy pass. And this really looks odd because it is happening on terrain where you wouldn't expect it to. I don't know how much the curvature of the incline matters as I tested it on many different hills and it happens nearly all the time.
      • Units running into walls - Sometimes when you give a unit an order, they start running continously into a wall. See here. This is not the same as the units getting stuck in narrow allyways, as giving them another order will cancel the effect. Pathfinding problem?
      • The Sprites for Creten archers are half the size they should be
      • Cutscene for generals death on foot Will play multiple times, the first to third cutscene usually zooms in but quite often it's not a generals death. Occasionally it only shows 1 for his death. All other times it goes to the cutscene up to 4 times and on the last it shows the cutscene ALONG with the line that gets thrown in for the generals death. All previous cutscenes don't have the generals death audio. Again this is only armies led by captains/generals on foot.Could someone please confirm this
    • UI bugs

• Pausing in minimal UI mode unreliable - Pausing in Minimal UI' doesnt work properly, its as if one click of the pause button registers numerous clicks and u see the pause icon flash 10 times before you (in a milli-second) upon one click. Sometimes it ends up with a pause and sometimes it doesn't

Will continue to update this later...

Issues: Note this list is very incomplete, I'm overwhelmed with issues, and I'm concentrating on the bugs for the time being.
    These are not strictly speaking bugs, but things which we think are noteworth and should be considered in the expansion. CA can do with these as they like.
    • Ports - ships shouldn't be able to exit or enter a blockaded port.
    • Fire at will - Units in Fire at Will will not fire at a unit engaged, nice. But it will fire at a unit that is routing, even if it is pursued by a friendly unit. This has the same friendly fire effect as firing at a unit in combat.
    • Charge Effect - The charge bonus stat works, but doesn't seem to have a significant impact--negligible for "normal" stat levels. Instead charge kills seem to be more controlled by armour level of the charging unit and by base attack. Mass has some impact but again less than the armour level. And the very act of charging itself seems to have a rather large sort of fixed effect. It is not that charges are weak (most of us agree they are VERY powerful, especially with the very high overall kill rates). It is instead that the charge bonus has almost nothing to do with the power of a charge, while other things that shouldn't matter as much have a large impact.
    • Pila Animation Halting Charges - Units raising their pila can stop a charge cold at times (quite frequently in 1vs1 tests), and then inflict heavy casualties on the chargers when they do release. When they are preparing to throw one would think they should be quite vulnerable to the shock of a charge. It might be intentional to make up for the difficulty of units being able to release their pila in time, but the fact that they are then causing heavy damage with the pila after taking the charge seems quite wrong/buggy.
    • You cannot demand a city which you are besieging
    • Exploit of the sallying A.I. Siege equipment is already equipped allowing the human to assault the walls immediately, as soon as towers/ladders hit the wall the A.I. calls off it's sally. Siege equipment should not be easily accessable on a sally.
    • Siege equipment uneffected by unit size settings No matter if huge units or small units are selected you always get 2 onagers or ballistas. It should be 1,2,4,8 respectively. Or 1,2,3,4 for balance issues.
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 06-05-2005 at 10:32.

Default Re: CA askes for Bug List - to be fixed in the expansion

NOTE: this is not a place to discuss CA policies, this is a place to get on a post bugs, any unrelated posts will be deleted!

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

This is excellent news, I hope that this will give us a base for a more prolonged developer-community interaction.

My share for this, something minor as most of the big stuff is already known. Grouping units affect unit speeds, e.g. infantry can be grouped with cavalry to get the infantry run (even) faster than usual. Some research here, topic gets switched from movement modifiers to group speed issue.: link
    Last edited by The_Mark; 04-17-2005 at 19:24. Reason: Removed something not-anymore relevant.

1. Siege bug - I didn't do extensive tests on this so I leave the details to the ORG testers (It was first reported here but Tai4ji2x, but I’m not sure who discovered this first. Anyone?)
    2. Cavalry Movement Point bonus bug – Left-clicking on a cavalry unit "on-screen" and Left-clicking on the same cavalry unit on the "unit card" confers different movement point values (being higher on the latter).
    3. Grouped archers bug – Grouped archers don't fire where it is directed (first reported by hoom). They still obey individually.
    4. Red-zone bug (?) – The players' army units get stuck when they land on the enemy's red-zone no matter how much movement points they still have. Bug or Feature?
    5. Port Blockade Bug – Plain blockade doesn't stop the enemy from escaping (first reported by hoom)
    6. Ladder bugs – Occassions where the unit who drops the ladder during deployment precludes it from picking it up again. Also, ability to build ladder on huge/epic stone walls even though not usable during siege.
    7. Sallying Enemy bug – Killing all the sallying enemy's forces doesn't give automatic victory to player (reported by Oaty). I think Oaty was trapped outside.
    8. Endless Siege bug - Defending Enemy units that rout getting stuck in between tight alleys of buildings where they can't be reached by skirmishers.
    9. Bridge Routing bug – Bridge routing bug where the enemy unit routs to the player's side.
    10. Barbarian city Pathfinding bug – Units will SKIRT the closest route inside barbarian cities when there are no roadway/tracks presents. Instead they follow the roadway/tracks ( going around the city) even though the clicked destination only meant crossing between two buildings (with no tracks)

I'll add some more later.
    Last edited by Quietus; 04-16-2005 at 20:44. Reason: format

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Default Re: CA asks for Bug List - to be fixed in the expansion

This would be good place to post link to BUG-FIXER.
    (while discussion thread is here)

This is some sort of unofficial patch which fixes some bugs (or oddities), that can be done by just modifing text files.
    Word of warning, some of the fixes are just workarounds, since real fixes would need change in code.

Still, it's good to indentify some problems in RTW.
    Last edited by player1; 04-16-2005 at 21:38.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

AI needs at least 3 turns to take city.
    While human player can seige in first turn, and attack in 2nd, AI never does that, it attacks at 3rd turn earliest.

EDIT:
    Still not in bug list.
    Last edited by player1; 05-08-2005 at 11:40.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

I don't know if this is what you mean by the siege bug, but sometimes when the AI sallies, they just sit there. They don't actually sally at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes.I have experienced this and it's extremely annoying if you are sitting out-side the walls with no siege equipment unable to get into the city and the bloody AI army sits on the other side of the wall even though they are supposed to be sallying.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

That's why I won't play with the timer off.

One visual bug that can be nasty is the shoreline 'bug'. I posted a screenshot of an extreme version of it in this thread.

Bh

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

In the trait files, you don't get a popup for gaining a trait if you gained it when you ended your turn, or at least I don't think you do. You do get popups if you gain a trait that gives them (e.g., Coward) during the course of your turn, but I've never seen such a popup at the very beginning of a turn. This could be tested more systematically, however.

When you have more than two rows of building options, as of 1.2, you can't always scroll down correctly.

When using the minimal UI, pressing the pause button once often causes the game to pause and then unpause in rapid succession, no matter how quickly you hit the button. Likewise, I think, for other buttons, but those mostly aren't toggles, so you just hear the sound multiple times at worst.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

are my protectorates supposed to be capable of going to war with me?
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

I dont think so i think that would go against the whole Protectorate rule. Has never hapend to me.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The Colisseum would be a great place to copy this thread to. Not many people look in the game mechanics sub forum

Yep im only here once every 5 days. Also another bug is that if you sally out to attak your enemy and dont even kill that many of there men before the timer runs out the next turn the A.I just wonders off braking the seige. Its really annoying im at the point were I actually want the germens to take one of my cities !

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Charge Effect I suggest the charge effect/charge bonus be added as a discussion item. There was a thread about this recently. It is not what I would call a bug, but it is a feature that when investigated leaves most of us scratching our heads and appears to be an area for improvement.. Short of it is that the charge bonus stat works, but doesn't seem to have a significant impact--negligible for "normal" stat levels. Instead charge kills seem to be more controlled by armour level of the charging unit and by base attack. Mass has some impact but again less than the armour level. And the very act of charging itself seems to have a rather large sort of fixed effect. It is not that charges are weak (most of us agree they are VERY powerful, especially with the very high overall kill rates). It is instead that the charge bonus has almost nothing to do with the power of a charge, while other things that shouldn't matter as much have a large impact.

Pila Animation Halting Chargers
    Another one to add as an odd effect is that units raising their pila can stop a charge cold at times (quite frequently in 1vs1 tests), and then inflict heavy casualties on the chargers when they do release. It seems to be a timing issue, and it is very counterintuitive. When they are preparing to throw one would think they should be quite vulnerable to the shock of a charge. It might be intentional to make up for the difficulty of units being able to release their pila in time, but the fact that they are then causing heavy damage with the pila after taking the charge seems quite wrong/buggy. There could be quite a bit happening that we don't know about with this, the whole volley delay effect might be playing havoc here. It is worthy of scrutiny at least. Not sure if it ever happens for other missile units or when changing formation for any other types...could be a deeper glitch.
    Last edited by Red Harvest; 04-17-2005 at 20:42.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Ford Bug
    Some ford maps don't work properly in battle. For instance: the ford south of the town at Carthago Nova. Many of us have found infantry utterly unable to cross this ford and others. The ford was in the location where a bridge would normally be (if roads had been built.) There were no other fords on the map. The AI attacked, but could not find a crossing. It took me 10 or 15 minutes of experimentation and exploring to figure out how to get my cavalry into a formation that would allow them to cross (long narrow column very near the ford and perfectly alligned with it.) I never could get infantry across.

Missile unit rank effect, no LOS, distance attenuation
    A large departure between previous TW series games is in rank effects, non LOS shooting, and apparently distance attenuation. Archers can fire effectively from extremely deep formations in RTW. Additionally, units don't seem to pay a significant non-LOS penalty. Indirect fire (when screened behind one's lines, a wall, other ranks of the same unit, etc.) should have a substantial impact on accuracy of fire and therefore killing power. Also, what testing I've done suggests that missile attack (or accuracy) is not modified for distance. However, the collision code does apparently slightly reduce the number of impacts at distance because the individual soldier cross sections are smaller at distance due to firing angle.

Distance attenuation would reduce the effect of archery, without unfairly penalizing it.

Indirect fire/LOS penalties would encourage more historic use of skirmishers and archers: thin formations in front and at the flanks.

Hidden Unit Pathing Issue
    This is probably a small bug rather than merely an issue, but it is a result of FOW. If the banner of an *unseen* army projects over the tile the player selects for movement, then the player's path detours toward the army, rather than the intended destination. This is most often seen when moving along a road. The player can't see the enemy army and is not selecting them or their tile, but the player's army goes that way regardless when the road destination is selected.

Suggestion: halt movement when new unit/agent is seen
    One thing that is annoying is having one's armies or agents change course or try to march around the world because an unseen army or agent now blocks their path. The correct approach would have them proceed along the intended route until they can see that the blocking force, then halt. At that point their orders could be altered. (The AI should be allowed to benefit from this as well!) Another approach would be to have the unit halt and be allowed to re-evaluate each time a new unit is revealed.
    Last edited by Red Harvest; 04-17-2005 at 21:12.

After installing patch 1.1 or patch 1.2 the game can no longer find the game CD, although CD I is in the drive, thus preventing me from running the game patched. I have this problem both when the install and the game is run from my DVD drive (D:) and when from my CD-burner (E:). The version istalled from the CD, unpatched, runs without such a problem.
    I've seen in the forums a few other people with the same problem but never seen anyone post a solution.

:sigh: i miss those days in STW, where i knew the optimal formation for archers was two-lines deep...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    Missile unit rank effect, no LOS, distance attenuation
    A large departure between previous TW series games is in rank effects, non LOS shooting, and apparently distance attenuation. Archers can fire effectively from extremely deep formations in RTW. Additionally, units don't seem to pay a significant non-LOS penalty. Indirect fire (when screened behind one's lines, a wall, other ranks of the same unit, etc.) should have a substantial impact on accuracy of fire and therefore killing power. Also, what testing I've done suggests that missile attack (or accuracy) is not modified for distance. However, the collision code does apparently slightly reduce the number of impacts at distance because the individual soldier cross sections are smaller at distance due to firing angle.

Distance attenuation would reduce the effect of archery, without unfairly penalizing it.

Indirect fire/LOS penalties would encourage more historic use of skirmishers and archers: thin formations in front and at the flanks.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Pathfinding when entering city plazas
    All units usually insist on entering the plazas in the middle of the square borders rather than a direct line inward. This screws up cavalry support, infantry charges, and phalanx formations.

Flaming Arrows
    Flaming ammo from archers do not light up or damage buildings like it says they do in the manual.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Possible bug:
    Units do still at times Fight to the Death when routing on walls. Not a great situation if you happen to get beaten from the walls in an attack and have a a few men standing there you can't withdraw (with the timer off). You will suffer losses to units you have never sent into combat because you need to use the Esc button.

I second the effect of armour on the charge. It can't be right that Cataphract Archers are possibly the third best chargers (discluding eles and chariots) in the game.

Major balance issue:
    Chariots apparently are overpowered in regards to autoresolve. That makes Egypt trounce the Seleucids easily (as if they didn't have an easy enough time) and more importantly makes the Britons kick the rear of the Guals and Germans with obvious ease.

There are plenty of inconsistencies in the stats, but I don't know if this is the place for it.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Maybe I should divide it into two sections, bugs and issues...

Cool Re: CA asks for Bug List - to be fixed in the expansion

yes, please. Issues are just that. issues over a game that invariably involve "balance" issues...The fact is that chariots are devastatingly easy to win with even without using autocalc. (their ammo supply is awe-inspiring)
    • not to mention the scythes are scary as hell
    As for bugs, i'd definitely have to mention the "load game" bug that makes replaying a really cool battle, where the AI attacks, impossible...and sadly this was the major reason i loved the earlier series.
    Last edited by MajorFreak; 04-18-2005 at 10:29.

1/ Nine times out of ten my skirmishing units do a great job of keeping out the way of enemy units. But now and again, they completely fail to get out of the way, or just barge right into the enemy. And it's not because they are trapped or have nowhere to escape. They just seem to forget to skirmish. It's very annoying.

2/ The pathfinding bug in cities is still extant. In my last siege battle for instance, I directed my missile cav to run away from an advancing phalanx, instead they charged straight INTO the phalanx. (Oh, and they had skirmish mode on too).

3/ I've had repeated problems getting missile units to actually throw their weapons. Three times in one battle the other night, for instance, I directed a peltast to fire at an enemy unit, three times I came back to find it still standing there, "Idle". It seems that the only way to reliably get missile units to fire is to put them on autofire. If you turn them off autofire and try to get them to fire at a particular unit, much of the time they won't do it. Or they will fire one volley and stop. So I just have to leave them mostly on autofire now.

4/ Still got the problem of grouped units not all following orders, or of some unit that is not part of the group following the group's orders instead.

5/ Occasionally when I've had my missile cav grouped and taken them off skirmish mode, they continue to behave as though skirmish mode is enabled and can't be used to charge enemy units. Taking them out of group seems to make them work properly again.

6/ When you direct a unit to "run" when the game is paused, and then unpause the game, the unit immediately reverts to walking. Also, ordering a unit to disable phalanx formation when the game is paused only works about 50% of the time, ie half the time they will stay in phalanx formation.

7/ Problems with units ignoring orders generally.
    Last edited by screwtype; 04-18-2005 at 11:06.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

A note about the Port Blockade Bug: It is also possible for the player to enter one of his ports (that is being blockaded by a hostile AI fleet) with his fleet, without needing to fight the enemy.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Probably this topic can help to list all bugs:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...opicID=5.topic

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

I think the Blockade bug is not a bug. I think it was mentioned to be a feature sometime around the patch being released. And that is fair enough as the Carthies managed to run the gauntlet to Lilybaeum and Drapana to bring in supplies in the First Punic War.

Anyway, I can confirm the no-sally-survivor-yet-no-victory bug, as I have experienced it myself. In fact it happened right after the Fight-to-the-Death bug I mentioned earlier.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

1: Fire at will command enables a unit to fire at an enemy that is not engaged with one of yours which is fine since it reduces friendly fire losses. The problem is that sometimes you do want to fire at an unit that is overpowering one of yours. Now, with a hastaii or principii unit they will throw two spears then charge. Put on guard command they should remain in their position and fire until ammo is depleted and not charge afterwards. Am I making sense?
    2: Many units runs past their given deployment location and then back again to it. This causes units that are given a deployment close to a enemy unit to actually run into them and then try to return to their place.
    3: Battelmaps needs fixing since there is a lot of screwed up coast lines. I can´t even remember when I played a battle last without the coast looking like a landfill area.
    4: All the different CTD´s that people are experiencing. RTW needs to be more compatible with XP, nVidia and ATI cards etc. CA should really take a look at this and the save-game bug.

Thanks for listening and a truly epic game that has brought me countless hours of pure joy.

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

Sometimes a group of units ordered to attack an enemy unit (double-click) will behave as if ordered to run to that location. I've found that the problem can be solved by choosing the individual unit cards and then ordering the attack, so I don't know the reason. I suspect the trouble is from groups created before the battle begins?
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast