Thread: Negative Vice on Governing

Default Negative Vice on Governing

Lately, I have been noticing in my campaign that most of my rulers become corrupt, art lover, religious - whatever and almost every governer seems to lose about 10% of income. Is their a way to stop this.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Default Re: Negative Vice on Governing

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    Lately, I have been noticing in my campaign that most of my rulers become corrupt, art lover, religious - whatever and almost every governer seems to lose about 10% of income. Is their a way to stop this.
    Recently I switched to having all my provinces on only "High" Taxation (as opposed to "Very High". I have definately seen a decrease in the bad virtues for the givernors who stay in their home provinces because of this. It does make the purse strings a little tighter, but it all adds to the challenge. You learn to really look after your troops.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

That depends. How extensive are your lands? The reason I ask is because once your empire reaches a certain size, your governors will start to develop those acumen-reducing vices almost no matter what you do. I don't know the exact amount of provinces you have to own before this starts happening, but I always see a definite decline in my governors' collective intelligence sometime after I've conquered 1/3 of the map.

The only sure-fire method I've found to prevent this is to place my governors' units with army stacks commanded by my faction leader or a higher-ranking general. It also seems to help if I keep my governors moving around (as opposed to having them just sit on their butts in their respective provinces). This method isn't always foolproof, but it does seem to reduce the frequencey with which my governors get hit with bad vices.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

I found a way to stop this, though if you are in the later stages of the game and have loads of provinces and lords (generals whom you have entrusted lordship) you will probably needa note pad and pencil.

Just train loads of emmisaries and put them in each province. At the start of each turn it will give you a list of vices and virtues gained and lost. You MUST write down or remember each -10% trade and farm income vice that your generals have adopted and you MUST on each occasion plonk an emissary on top of the corrupt lord. By next turn he will not only lose his title but his vice and you can give him the title back, unless of course he still has the vice in which case send him off to die in battle and give the title to someone else.

If there are no generals with these vices or if all generals who adopt these vices are disciplined next turn then you should have the lowest frequency of these vices possible. I would think.

Try not to keep your governers sat on their backsides in provinces, and especially try to keep them out of castles!

I know that its so much simpler (and neater) to put your governers on garrison duty, but after a few decades of sat around doing nowt even the best governers will develop some vices
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patron
    I found a way to stop this, though if you are in the later stages of the game and have loads of provinces and lords (generals whom you have entrusted lordship) you will probably needa note pad and pencil.

Just train loads of emmisaries and put them in each province. At the start of each turn it will give you a list of vices and virtues gained and lost. You MUST write down or remember each -10% trade and farm income vice that your generals have adopted and you MUST on each occasion plonk an emissary on top of the corrupt lord. By next turn he will not only lose his title but his vice and you can give him the title back, unless of course he still has the vice in which case send him off to die in battle and give the title to someone else.

If there are no generals with these vices or if all generals who adopt these vices are disciplined next turn then you should have the lowest frequency of these vices possible. I would think.
    This only works in VI but its the best (by far) way to do it.

Its interesting when you do this to see what vices that you will tolerate. I hate smugglers, exclusive traders, and laziness. But what do you do with a loyal, educated, drunken pervert?

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Member Member Sir Toma of Spain's Avatar

In my game with the spanish i did something similar to this, only i just disbanded the unit as i had so many of the and i was so rich. But after i had conquered about 70 to 80 percent of the provinces i just gave up as it is almost impossible to find all of the 25 corrupt governors. So in the end i just let them be corrupt and got on with conquering the world before i ran out of money. i ended up making in with 200,000 of my million left.
    - Fear the one who can break spanish armour -

I've fallen back to a slightly easier way to try to spot good and bad V&V's on my govs. When the list of newly earned V&V's pops up at the end of the turn, you can click on each one in succession and it will take you to the stack on the map that the general is in. You can't look in the stack until you have finished the turn, but at least you know which ones got hit. I make a mental note of the stacks that contain someone who got a noteworthy virtue or vice, then when the turn is over I immediately check to see if it was a governor that was affected. (Helps if you make your gov's the leaders of stacks since most V&V only go to the commander of a stack.)

It's not as perfect as keeping track of them all on paper, but it's far quicker.

I just don't worry about it. By this point in the game I am close to winning and I am so rich so that are a few dollars being skimmed by my loyal servents doesn't matter, especially when they have 6 or 7 quills.

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    . . . what do you do with a loyal, educated, drunken pervert?
    ichi
    Uh, most mornings I shave his face.
    "Shoot it! With the gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!" ~Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Etym
    Uh, most mornings I shave his face.
    LMAO

good one

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by Procrustes
    When the list of newly earned V&V's pops up at the end of the turn, you can click on each one in succession and it will take you to the stack on the map that the general is in. You can't look in the stack until you have finished the turn, but at least you know which ones got hit. I make a mental note of the stacks that contain someone who got a noteworthy virtue or vice, then when the turn is over I immediately check to see if it was a governor that was affected.
    There is an easier way of checking if they are a governor or not. If their name starts with "Lord" then you have made them governor of a province. If its just a normal name like Edward Plantagenate then they are just a normal general.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi
    Thank you - good point. I new that at one time but things seem to slip....

I'm sort of a newbie, but I have never seen this: "the list of newly earned V&V's pops up at the end of the turn". I have the budget version of M:TW with no VI installed.

Thats why, its a new feature with VI.

If I were you, it really is worth the extra money to get VI. I used to have the Budget version of MTW and after getting VI, I am much happier. Not only does it enhance the regular play (WHAT YOU HAVE) but it adds a whole new campaign which at times I think is a lot more fun.

If you are reading forums, then you must like the game so I would highly suggest you watch the eBay auctions for an update.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.