Thread: some questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default some questions

well, i learned how to edit the texture of the units but the shields are a problem, i can just design the half and the other half is reflects my design so how can i design a whole shield.
    And i want to know how to change the design of clothes and helms (geometry i guess), ive got 3ds max 7 photoshop and paint shop pro so if anyone could tell me how i would be gratefull.

Default Re: some questions

I'm afraid I know very little of modelling but perhaps you could change the cas file so that references the skin in a different way - you could then put the entire face of the shield on the .tga.

However, Duke John suggested a different approach in October last year in this thread, though it includes a word of caution from Jerome.

hoggy wrote a general guide as to modelling 3D units here and you can find a couple of more specific tutorials in the Guides, Tutorials and Tools forum.

BTW modellers are very appreciated by the modding community, so stick around and feel free to ask whatever questions you like. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to help
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Yep, and plenty of people trying to recruit you into their mod.

You haven't read the Wheel of Time series by any chance?

well i'm not an pro modeller but i like to create my own units, maybe in the future i'll be a great modeller, thank you guys for your support this far

Modellers are like writers - you only get to be a professional by being a amateur who didn't give up.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Looking at your original question about the shield ....

The shield is mapped with a texture. The texture is the 2D part of the thing ( the TGA file ) Each model in the game has to fit all of it's texture on to a SINGLE texture TGA file. This means there isn't a lot of space to work with, so certain tricks are used to save space. Mirroring the shield texture is one such trick. If you want to make a shield one complete non-mirored texture, you will need to:

1) Find enough space on the texture tile to fit in your design
    2) Re-map the UBV co-ords so that your shield is mapped with the texture.

These things are NOT RTW SPECIFIC and should be learnt from any good Max tutorial. UV mapping is something you will need to learn, so go read the manual.....or, if you don't have one, look up some good tutorials.

OK..thats the not-so-encouraging bit!

Onthe plus side, you have all the basic tools you need to build new geometry, you just need to do the job. You need to learn how to model in MAx, and UV mao, then you will be good to go!
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

ok ive got that but my max is just a trial and i really dont think i can buy the real deal and i dont think i could download it somewhere, did everybody really pay for max or what