Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous Quotes

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Famous Quotes

What is your favorite quote (military of course)? Do you have an extraordinairy one?

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Default Re: Famous Quotes

Waterloo

Uxbridge: By God sir! I've lost my leg!
    Wellesley: By God sir! So you have!
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

I love this one - even though it is from a politician:

The stronger we are the unlikleier is war

Otto von Bismarck, German Kanzler (01.04.1815 - 30.07.1898)

I like it because history proved that he was wrong. German strength didn't serve peace; it led directly to WW1.

Unfortunatelly many people still have the same opinion.

From General Pershing to General Patton (just before Patton left for North Africa)

"I am happy they are sending you to the front at once. I like Generals so bold they are dangerous."

- as reported by Patton

From Tamerlane (Timur the Lame): "As there is but one god in heaven, so should there be but one ruler on earth." [meaning himself, I expect]

From the aristocrat (whose name I forget) sent by the French king to suppress the Protestants and heretics in southern France (including Navarre or Basque), upon being asked by a subordinate how to distinguish the faithful from the heathen when sacking a town: "Kill them all and let God sort them out."
    "Shoot it! With the gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!" ~Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

my personal favourite is from the battle of Thermopylea. When told that the persian archers were so many their arrows would block out the sun, the Spartan Ploynikes replied

"Good, then we shall have our battle in the shade"
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Etym
    From the aristocrat (whose name I forget) sent by the French king to suppress the Protestants and heretics in southern France (including Navarre or Basque), upon being asked by a subordinate how to distinguish the faithful from the heathen when sacking a town: "Kill them all and let God sort them out."
    I love this one. I think it was from a crusade in Southern France (it wasn't part of France then) against the Albigensian from 1209 to 1229. The crusade was startet by pope Innosence III with the aid of French king Phillip II. Many catholic citizens fought side by side with the heretic. When Bezier, the first town was conquered, the General sked the ambassader of the pope, abbot Arnaud-Amaury asked how to select the heteric. He answered: Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius - kill them all, God will find his own.

Hail Wichazu

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu
    my personal favourite is from the battle of Thermopylea. When told that the persian archers were so many their arrows would block out the sun, the Spartan Ploynikes replied

"Good, then we shall have our battle in the shade"
    this one is grea, too. I always thought it was from the battle of Marathon, when the Persian landed!

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Smile Re: Famous Quotes

as expected - "v.v.v" (caesar 47 bce)
    also " the state is i " (louis the 14th , somewhere in the 17th century)
    "charge !!!!!!" (122,846 officers to their soldiers from the 6 millennium bce until now)
    Last edited by caesar44; 04-20-2005 at 12:15.
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

This is from William the Conqueror's speech before the battle of Hastings...
    "Fight your best and put everyone to death; for if we conquer, we shall be rich. What I gain, you gain; If I conquer, you conquer If I take the land, you will share it...Remember, if you shold flee from the field, more will die in flight than wold have died in battle. We will never return to Normandy disgraced. With God's aid we shall conquer.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Were do I begin? as a student of history I have a large collection of favorites. here I will list a few.

This one spoken by Ulysses S. Grant for those of you unsure of who he was he was one of the greater generals in the civil war. however he also struggled with alcohol and when president, a very corrupt cabinet.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.
    Ulysses S. Grant (1822 - 1885)

The ancient Roman expression "if you want peace prepare for war" -"Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

And for all you George Bush critics (I am not included in those ranks). You may love this for its stupidity, I love it for its humor. What's the use of sending a $2 million missile into a $10 tent to hit a camel in the butt? --George W. Bush

Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance."
    Gen.
    --George S. Patton

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. --John Stewart Mill

JS,

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Blood alone moves the wheels of history.

Attributed to Benito Mussolini (1883 - 1945)

What happened to Mussolini? I never knew he died in 1945
    P.S. I like the qoutes in my name.

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Napoleon said something like, "The moral is to the physical as three is to one."

I also like the words that the fourteenth century mercenary captain Werner von Urslingen had emblazoned on his breastplate:

"Enemy to God.
    Enemy to Piety.
    Enemy to Pity."
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Hail Wichazu
    dude, its Wishazu :)
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

NO PASERAN (they shall not pass)

Slogan of the Republicans in the Spamnish civil war 1936-39

Keine Gefangene!
    (No Prisoners)

Feldmarschall Blücher at the final attack of the Prussians at Waterloo in 1815

Another Waterloo (or Belle Alliance) quote:

Either night or the Prussians must come!
    Lord Wellington, before the Prussians arrived.

Solitudinem faciunt, pacem apellant
    (They create a dessert and call it peace) - Tacitus

There was never a good war, or a bad peace
    Benjamin Franklin

These ones are to all who think war can make a better world!

@Franconicus . . . yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the original version! But, uh, you might want to re-translate "solitudinem": desserts have a lot of calories, whereas deserts have virtually no water (or calories).
    "Shoot it! With the gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!" ~Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Not all of my favorite quotes are military:

" The wallpaper here is atrocious. I or it has to go...."- The reputed last words of Oscar Wilde

" Dance music? I could have made that with a pair of windshield wipers and an out of tune old saxaphone playing ' My Melancholy Baby' " - Artie Shaw

" They came on in the same old way, and we stopped them in the same old way" - The Duke of Wellington

" The Canadians are the best troops Monty has- and they're Americans!"
    - George S. Patton

" Where is Grouchy?" - Napoleon

" McLellan brought superior numbers, that is true. But he also brought himself" - (I can't remember which Confederate Gen'l said that...perhaps one of the American Civil War scholars can tell me.)
    ========================================
    If it's a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly. - Nick Lappos

Necessity makes even the timid brave. - Sallust

My all time favourite military quote was made following the war against Iraq in Operation Desert Storm. Lieutenant General Tom Kelly, speaking of the Iraq army in a post conflict briefing said that :-

"In 100 hours they went from being the fourth-largest army in the world to the second-largest army in Iraq." (lol!)

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

"Walls are no stronger than the men that defend them"-Ghengis Khan

Gettin' Medieval Member King Bob VI's Avatar

"I have just given to England a rival that will sooner or later humble her pride."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte, 1803, after selling the Louisiana territory to the United States, nearly doubling it's size.

Another one I saw somewhere that's not really historical or military related:
    "America is one big conspiracy to make you happy".
    Can't remember who said it.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

"A peace that one can be certain of is better than a victory one can hope for. You have the power to give peace, only the gods have the power to give victory. [...] The outcome matches the expectations much less in war than in any other case whatsoever."
    Hannibal to Scipii Africanus before battle of Zama (according to Tacitus, so it's probably just made up)

...because you had already taken some of the better quotes I could only come up with this one.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Revolting Peasant Member marcusbrutus's Avatar

Wink Re: Famous Quotes

My favorite military quotes from the British Army Pocket Guide 2002-2003

During the Second World War Air Marshal Sir Arthur (Bomber) Harris was well known for his glorious capacity for rudeness, particularly to beurocrats. 'What are you doing to retard the war effort today' was his standard greeting to senior civil servants.

'Peace - In international affairs, aperiod of cheating between two periods of fighting.' - The Devils Dictionary 1911

'The beatings will continue until morale improves.' - Attributed to the Commander of the Japenese Submarine Force.

'When other Generals make mistakes their armies are beaten; when I get into a hole, my men pull me out of it'. - The Duke of Wellington, after Waterloo

'One might as well try to charge through a wall'. - Napoleon, On St Helena, Regarding the British Infantry

'The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country', - General Patton

'Nothing is so good for the morale of the troops as occasionally to see a dead general', - Field Marshal Slim, 1891 - 1970

And finally - one for the scots...

At the end of the day it is the individual fighting soldier who carries the battle to the enemy; Sir Andrew Agnew commanding Campbell's Regiment (Royal Scots Fusiliers) giving orders to his infantrymen before the Battle of Dettingen in 1743 shouted; 'Do you see yon loons on yon grey hill? Well, if ye dinna kill them, they'll kill you!'
    "Semper in Mira. Solum Profundum Variat."
    - Geoff Lee, One Spring (2002)

"Game graphics are like bikinis - it's not about what you show, it's about what you leave to the imagination."
    marcusbrutus

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."
    -General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Amateurs think tactics while professionals think logistics

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    What happened to Mussolini? I never knew he died in 1945
    P.S. I like the qoutes in my name.
    -
    IIRC he was slaughtered along with his mistress in late 1943 by the communist "partisans". Germany invaded part of Italy afterwards, the US taking the rest. The two fought over the peninsula and you know who won.
    -
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Blood alone moves the wheels of history.

Attributed to Benito Mussolini (1883 - 1945)
    BP said he died in 1945. I never knew about the communists killing him though, thanks..

Titletown USA-GreenBay Packers Member Constantinius's Avatar

Roman officer: "Cake or death"
    Condemned christian, "Cake please"
    Officer, "fine give him cake" (to next christian) "cake or death"
    Next christian, "Cake please"
    Officer, "Fine, give him cake as well" (to last christian) "cake or death"
    Last Christian, "Cake please"
    Officer, "Well we're all out of cake"
    Last christian, "So my options are...or death?"
    Officer, "We have already given out all the cake, we weren't expecting such a rush"

Quoted by Eddie Izzard
    "It profits a man nothing to gain a lexus but lose his soul" - A.L.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast