Thread: Ceasefire?

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Default Ceasefire?

I dont remember ever having a faction agree to a ceasefire (maybe once). In my present campaign (with limited saves) I've kicked the crap outa numerous German, Spanish, and Julii armies since early in the game and taken cities from all (mostly German). None of those factions will agree to a ceasefire despite being offered by me almost every turn. The Germans are a few steps from elimination and IMO should be begging me for a ceasefire.

I think this is a bug/issue and should go in the list but I think it needs to be discussed a bit first.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Default Re: Ceasefire?

I have often demanded an ceasefire, and got it accepted.

If you put some pressure on them(blockading ports, crushing their armies etc.), and use "accept or we will attack", then it should work.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Ye if you just ask for a ceasfire they wont do it. Haras and cut of all trtade then they are almost forced to give a ceasefire.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

I think it is bugged too, like the Protectorate thing: by the time they reach a point where they will accept your terms, you may as well eliminate them, because you've saved nothing and had to raise the forces and bring them to the doorstep to do the job anyway. There should be a "common sense" override in the diplomacy portion of the AI.
    "If you demand CA or any company absorb the cost of a future patch, the upfront price rises or you buy a subscription for continuous service. The latter is not available.
    " - killemall54
    "An expansion should be a free standing new feature product, not a bug fixing enticement." - Old Celt

I have gotten a few cease fires, usually when I combined the offer with trade or a small bribe. Sometimes the opponents will ask for a cease fire after a few years have passed, or I have an army on their borders.
    In my latest game as the Germans the Gaul diplomat gave me the "Please don't attack us" request with the "or we will attack you" offer, not the ceasefire offer.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    I have often demanded an ceasefire, and got it accepted.

If you put some pressure on them(blockading ports, crushing their armies etc.), and use "accept or we will attack", then it should work.
    I'll give it a try since I've never used that demand combination.
    E Tenebris Lux

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus
    Ye if you just ask for a ceasfire they wont do it. Haras and cut of all trtade then they are almost forced to give a ceasefire.
    I would think since they have lost 3/4 of their (previously) expansive territory to me and have not won a battle they should feel pretty 'harrassed'.

This is all on H/H BTW
    E Tenebris Lux

Quote Originally Posted by mfberg
    I have gotten a few cease fires, usually when I combined the offer with trade or a small bribe. Sometimes the opponents will ask for a cease fire after a few years have passed, or I have an army on their borders.
    In my latest game as the Germans the Gaul diplomat gave me the "Please don't attack us" request with the "or we will attack you" offer, not the ceasefire offer.

mfberg
    I've offered trade and maps in different combinations and it has not worked. It doesnt make sense to have to bribe a faction on the edge of anhiliation in order for them to agree to a ceasefire. In that sense, it seems kinda like the 1.0 protectorate malfunction that didnt work as planned.
    E Tenebris Lux

Ceasefires seem easy to get at first. Like at the beginning of my Julii campaign I was able to take a city, ask for a ceasefire with some tribute paid to me and trade rights and maybe maps to them. Blockade missions are easy to get ceasefires. Just do the mission and go for a ceasefire afterwards. You get good with the senate and slow down the other romans.

Eventually, it gets more difficult with a particular faction, and they get fed up and decide to take the gloves off. Spain won't make peace. They've made alliances with my neighbors and are at war with Carthage to the south and I have an army in a border province. Maybe they think they have protection or maybe they are fighting for their land and don't want to give you time to bolster your attack. Gaul, it's much the same. They've made an alliance with Dacia and Greece. Plus they're down to three provinces and broke so I think they're fighting to the death.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Ceasefires are easy to get, depending on how PO'ed the other faction is with you, and how powerful you are.
    Normally I dont bother with them, instead prefering to steamroll through the enemy faction, unless I'm fighting a war on two fronts against two enemies.

It still doesn't make any sense that a faction on the verge of extinction asks for hundreds of thousands of dinaris to accept a cease fire. Why should you pay them when you can just remove them from existence for free?

I've had a couple of ceasefire offers excepted in my current campaign as the Julii, and I didn't even have to capture any cities or put a big army on their border.

In my campaign, I worked on Gaul first, then Spain and Carthage, which put all of my fighting to the west of Italy. I got dragged into a war with Thrace and Greece after fufilling Senate missions to barricade their ports. Skirmishing with the Thracian and Greek navies was fun or a bit, but then became problematic for me though, as I needed to transport troops down to Africa without risking losing part of my army.

In both cases, I went and asked for straight up ceasefires with both nations and they were granted (Trade rights as well.) I can't remember but may have been blockading a port or two at the time. If I remember right, both nations were fighting a lot of wars though... so that might have something to do with it. If you ask Gaul for a ceasefire, and the only enemy they have is you, they might not accept even if you have brought them to their knees. Just a though...

Scourge of God Member Count Belisarius's Avatar

I do think that the diplomacy formula the game uses for accepting a ceasefire is skewed. As the Seleucids, I once ran the Egyptians off of the mainland, destroyed every single army they sent against me, sank their entire navy, and besieged their last stronghold (a barely-garrisoned Cyprus) with a gigantic army. Just for fun, I broke the siege and asked one of their diplomats for peace, offering a ceasefire with no tribute. I got the standard "The wise and belligerent Pharoh sees no reason to end the fighting, blah blah blah." When I resumed the siege, the Egyptian swine had the temerity to demand that I give back all the provinces I had taken from them in exchange for peace. I mean, here I am, about 3 turns away from exterminating them, and they're making DEMANDS?!?!?!? Incredible!
    Just call me sui generis, and leave it at that.
    - Huey P. Long

Maybe, it just needs more options to select from when it's responding to you. It would sound less weird if it refused to surrender by saying it would rather go out in a blaze of glory or martyr itself for the sake of freedom Braveheart style. If they're fervent enough, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep fighting or demand their sacred lands. Maybe their prejudiced and afraid of your race and would die before submitting.

Either way, I just think they need to give more reasons for what they do and it has to reflect recent events. It's too canned right now. I want to get some thanks for helping an ally out during the next negotiation. I want to be told that my neighbor wants a province as a buffer zone against incursion or to reunite their people with the motherland etc.

Also, the best reason I can think of for a faction to agree to ceasefire if you give them money is that they are hoping you're eager or noble enough so you'll give them better terms which of course doesn't happen often in history. The loser gets screwed and has to pay back the cost of the war to the victor.

The more functional reason would be to use the money to rebuild their economy and recruit an army to kick you butt with. In that case, just annihilate them.

Lands are given back in peacetreaties. Look at World War 2, the U.S took control of Japan, but relinquished it. Russia kept control of the lands it occupied.

Also, we should be able to choose between an armistice(a ceasefire), surrender with terms, and total surrender.
    Last edited by Marcus Maxentius; 04-18-2005 at 23:05.

Even with threatening to attack (which doesnt make much sense since we've been at war since about turn 10) I'm still not able to get a ceasefire. The Gauls, Germans, and Julii are allies so that may be a factor, but I think this is an issue that should be addressed in the XP.
    E Tenebris Lux