25. This poll is closed
  • Fixed size

14 56.00%
  • Flexible size

11 44.00%

Thread: Url Avatar: fixed or flexible

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Url Avatar: fixed or flexible

Pixel size. There are a few things to consider. Do we reject different dimension sizes, because they'll generate an unesthetical look, or do we reject different sizes because it could break the topic layout?

Uesugis avatar is 150 pixels wide and about 180 in height. Such an avatar will still display the topics like they should be when the screenresolution is set to 800*600 (a fair lower limit imho). Any picture will take up as much space as it needs, but can never exceed the 150*180 size. A 120*120 picture will look good, but also a 40*60 one. These max dimensions can be changed in the code.

It's also possible to agree about 1 fixed size and any picture will be displayed at that size (regardless of whether it actually is that big). This can result in distorted pictures. The limit can be 50*74 to comply with the firmware ones, but it can also be different. Right now, the firmware ones are displayed when the user has no Urlavatar, but we can change that to displaying a/several default UrlAvatar one, for example when we agree about a fixed dimension size different from 50*74.

As you can see, it will not be possible to mess up the topics look by displaying oversized pictures. It's just a matter of esthetical taste: all same size or flexible to some degree? That's point 1 to vote, we do the main issue first and agree about the subcases later: fixed or flexible.

Edit: I've made these polls secret to hide the results. Don't worry, all votes will be stored and results made public after the poll is closed.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Default Re: Url Avatar: fixed or flexible

I am all for aesthetics ! For me, it's one of the kthings that make this board special. Should keep doing that...

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I think the size should be somewhat flexible. Though not as big as my current one is, I want to use a smaller more focused image created by Barocca, the pictures should be able to be a bit bigger, because some will not take up as much space due to their content. We could set a max size and then add borders to make smaller ones the sma esize, though that may not be the best looking solution.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

The drunken Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Well, a maximum Fixed Size, yet a flexible to anything in between the limits would be nice.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

That's what this poll is about:

fixed = 1 dimension and 1 dimension only.
    flexible = an upper limit to prevent making a mess of forum layout by posting an oversized picture, yet allows any dimension below the max (note that that is what we currently have: smaller than Uesugis Kenshin can be displayed but larger pictures will not).

If fixed is chosen we will do a next poll to decide about those fixed dimensions.

If flexible is chosen we will do a next poll to decide about the max dimensions.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

The drunken Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Ahh, Thank you for the clarification Tosa :)

Then Flexible it would be in my opinion.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

One fixed size is chosen, though by a small margin.

Next poll will be about the desired size for this. Any suggestions for dimensions? 50*74 would be one choice and up to 150 wide will still be fine for the topic layout.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

There's also the question of whether incorrectly sized images will be distorted to fit the fixed size or outright rejected - though perhaps there are technical limitations on this. My personal preference is for outright rejection as distorted images are even uglier.

Some dimension ideas -
    50*74
    64*64
    74*74
    100*148
    150*150

Though there is also the question of k limits - I'm not sure if this has to be resolved at the same time, but it would be useful so we don't end up with the perverse result of a large avatar size with a small k limit.

Perhaps as most people considered 10K fair for the existing dimensions we could treat that as an optimum ratio and simply scale up or down the k size for the different dimensions - so instead of voting for 50*74 we vote for 50*74 and 10K size limit etc.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 04-22-2005 at 14:57.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

If a picture does not fit the resolution a piece of it at the right ratio could be cut out and enlarged or shrunk to the appropriate size.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Hello,

Consequence of the fixed filesize, is that under- and oversized pictures can be displayed distorted. There are no dimension checks operating for this. I'm not sure whether there are simple HTML workarounds for this, except for the one which is essestialy a flexible cut-off system. This does display avatars smaller than the agreed dimension, but never larger.
    Ja mata

TosaInu